Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Best riding boat under 6mts

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Says your a Lake Dweller fella??
    One for the Lake (Home) and one for the sea (bach). That's the pot calling the kettle black.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I like Cats,....the NZ built ones suck though....these are awesome

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...26032297900099

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I'm a big fan of heavy plate boats. Backwater marine, allenco, whitepointer, amf. Definetly dreaming to have one, maybe when I grow up. I think weight in a boat is really important and a thin light alloy isn't the way forward.

Extreme and surtees are selling a lot of boats at the moment, a good product for the price point but the second hand market is looking pretty full. I'd say by next summer you should get a 5.5 surtees for good money second hand.

Still out of all boats @Dorkus 5.8 naiad has to be one of the best riding boats that's just so much fun to drive. You just can't stuff it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    I like Cats,....the NZ built ones suck though....these are awesome

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...26032297900099

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    They look like waves would slap that big flat center bit HARD!?!?!

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    They look like waves would slap that big flat center bit HARD!?!?!

Nah, they are awesome for big surf, what they are built for, probably overkill for NZ East coast. Great if you need to cross bars often.

Hendrik470, Munsey and 57jl like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Personally and with a great deal of respect , a lot of a boats performance come from the way it is loaded as well as the person at the controls.

I agree many boats will vary some what in their handling and ride due to their make, but that said I firmly believe the way you load and drive your boat will make a shit load more difference than hull design.

1) read your waves! Don't run down the coast with a following sea thinking all is good , try turning around a running into it.
    2) balance the boat. Move the easist thing to move ...people ..foward ..aft ..port ..starboard.
    3) speed ..launching off wave looks cool on TV but hurts like a barstard in real life.
    4) pack your weight. An under floor tank plus motor aft = weight ..pack dive tanks , weight belt , and if you need go crew foward to get the weight on the bow of the boat running into heavy seas.
    5 ) tide ...with the tide verse wind against the tide. Make a huge difference.
    6)If its rough its going to be tough , on the kids , the wife , the newbee ..choose your weather along long with your crew. Be brutal if it looks like shit stay in calm waters no point in scaring the shit out of the crew just because your boat can handle it. You will find shewho is keen to fuel the boat for a good days outing than being pounded to bits getting home .
    Nil durum volenti !!

SEAFORCE boats are the ones to look at, NZ made and well designed. They have won quite a few awards.
    Gapped axe likes this.

I agree to a point.
    A longer boat will always have more potential to be a nice riding boat....doesn't mean that it will be tho.
    My dad's 6m old alicraft is safe,good stability,predictable handling in any sea condition you should be out in and some you shouldn't but it is a hard riding prick of a thing in a steep chop.
    Conversely my 4.5m Fryan rides much better but is a wet little fucker.
    In bad conditions I'd rather be in the bigger boat of course but it rides worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    I think you've just added evidence to support my point!!!

Try one of the vertical-bow trailer boats if you get the chance, the difference is very noticeable and rather useful. Sort of like ballasting a 5m boat to the same weight as the 6m and then comparing them side by side in the chop.

One of the ways you can reduce pounding into a head sea is reduce the shoulder of the bow which reduces the amount of water that gets deflected away = a wetter boat. Up to a point, it's all good but you also reduce the lift of the bow and the ability to ride over waves rather than cutting through. It's a bloody fine balancing act, but horses for courses if two boats have the same beam dimension but one is longer on the waterline length it will be a much easier riding vessel than the shorter unit.

Stability at rest is an entirely different subject too, some boats benefit hugely from lifting the center of gravity UP which is quite counter-intuitive...
    Oh yes some boats (nearly ships actually ) are too stable and right themselves too quickly (FV Rehua is a example of this) throwing their ocupants around and requiring liquid ballast high up to slow them.

This condition is not something I have ever come across in a trailer boat tho as usually all the weight is above the water line.

mikee likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    crap, commercial skipper sea force do it well
    von tempsky fan likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"