Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 374
Like Tree196Likes

Thread: BJ73 Landcruiser

  1. #316
    Member Savage1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,322
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @gimp I'm hi jacking your thread!

    80series vx, been doing a bit of low range work lately and it smokes like a bastard (grey, light blue) and smells a bit but only when in low, in particular when engine braking. Normal or should I check oil levels in everything? Looks Iike I might be heading away and getting a bit of snow next week... Checking to make sure others haven't had the same and had their truck crap out.

    Another topic, tyre pressures in snow? Got mud tyres on at the moment, thinking leave the, had to break hough snow to the gravel underneath rather than let them, down so I float and slide around
    I'm no expert, but sounds like worn rings, sucks in the oil when engine braking and when you put your foot down again it blows out a cloud of smoke for a few seconds?

  2. #317
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    4,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I'm no expert, but sounds like worn rings, sucks in the oil when engine braking and when you put your foot down again it blows out a cloud of smoke for a few seconds?
    Only happens when in low range, bit of grey steamy smoke when cold. Smokes when engine braking, with foot down it seems to be a little better

  3. #318
    Member Savage1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,322
    I doubt it would be related to what gear range it's in, are you sure that you just don't notice it in high range? Give it a try down a long hill.

    Smoking during or straight after engine braking is a sign of worn rings, I think.
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.

  4. #319
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    4,940
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I doubt it would be related to what gear range it's in, are you sure that you just don't notice it in high range? Give it a try down a long hill.

    Smoking during or straight after engine braking is a sign of worn rings, I think.
    It is possible I don't notice it. Had the head replaced 2years ago and think thy changed the top rings while it was in bits. Not tooooo worried about it it's a Toyota with no rust so as long as I keep giving it oil it should go(

  5. #320
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    7,213
    So I failed WOF on the loose/noisy wheel bearings in the RF and also a headlight bulb. Bulb was easy and did the wheel bearings tonight in the driveway. Minor hiccup getting the locking hub back together, fiddly bastard of a thing, all done now though.

    Shiny new bits



    Old bearing race, I dunno if this wear is bad or not? But replaced the bearings anyway because I had some.


  6. #321
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    7,213
    Need to bleed the brakes better though

  7. #322
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    7,213
    Bled my brakes. Grot


  8. #323
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    4,940
    Yuck, hate to think what mine look like though...

  9. #324
    Caretaker jakewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,341
    That looks like that Waikato stuff.
    Bottle it and send it to the North country.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and berg243 like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

  10. #325
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    7,213
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @gimp I'm hi jacking your thread!

    80series vx, been doing a bit of low range work lately and it smokes like a bastard (grey, light blue) and smells a bit but only when in low, in particular when engine braking. Normal or should I check oil levels in everything? Looks Iike I might be heading away and getting a bit of snow next week... Checking to make sure others haven't had the same and had their truck crap out.

    Another topic, tyre pressures in snow? Got mud tyres on at the moment, thinking leave the, had to break hough snow to the gravel underneath rather than let them, down so I float and slide around
    I am having the same thing, blue/grey smoke quite noticeable when in low range, less noticeable or not present on the highway (probably just can't see it). Gonna change my oil and filter and check the valve clearances and then prepare my wallet if that doesn't help. It's been about 5500km since last change so I'll do that tomorrow and hope it does the trick

    Smashed up to the Growler for the weekend with no dramas. Easy track, mint weather.




  11. #326
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    4,940
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I am having the same thing, blue/grey smoke quite noticeable when in low range, less noticeable or not present on the highway (probably just can't see it). Gonna change my oil and filter and check the valve clearances and then prepare my wallet if that doesn't help.
    Suspect my old girl needs new oil. Sat for 6months with out being used and then being worked hard

  12. #327
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    7,213
    Yeah I didn't realise how many k's I'd done since the last change in like Feb but a couple of trips to Marlborough, Queenstown and Canterbury adds up to 5000 pretty quick

  13. #328
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Stewart island / canterbury
    Posts
    4,940
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Yeah I didn't realise how many k's I'd done since the last change in like Feb but a couple of trips to Marlborough, Queenstown and Canterbury adds up to 5000 pretty quick
    Yeah and the ruc adds up just as quick
    rossi.45 likes this.

  14. #329
    By Popular Demand gimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Big H
    Posts
    7,213
    get bigger tyres, then your odometer will read low!

  15. #330
    Member Timmay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,308
    If you can, change to the GU patrol style wheel bearing lock nuts for your wheel hubs.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 80 Series landcruiser
    By Neil0293 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17-10-2015, 09:10 AM
  2. Landcruiser vx
    By BRADS in forum Outdoor Transport
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 18-03-2015, 09:19 PM
  3. '85 Landcruiser - Any good?
    By Wildman in forum Outdoor Transport
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 21-05-2013, 06:23 PM
  4. Landcruiser wanted but which one
    By Munsey in forum Outdoor Transport
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-08-2012, 10:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!