Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: BJ73 Landcruiser

Yeah I didn't think all those relays and that rats nest looked particularly like something Mr Toyota would have put there

Have a towbar, haven't checked to see if any of that runs to the trailer socket

Turns out it is a voltage converter, hooked into the light circuits for the trailer plug, with very light gauge wire and extremely ghetto connections, with a hot wire from the battery routed in an exceptionally retarded route along the chassis. Better leave it in and not fry every trailer I hire. But might tidy up the wiring at some point.

Also I have a leak around my windscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    They're rad. Get a BJ74 or HZJ73 if you can - the BJ74 has the 13BT 3.4 turbo engine, and the HZJ73 has the 1HZ 4.2, they're both a bit more grunty than my anaemic 3.4L 3B, it struggles a little on the highway. Realistically it's fine though, you just end up going over the Crown Range in 3rd at 50km instead of 4th at 70.

Factory soft top versions come up occasionally but they're pretty uncommon. I dunno how hard/expensive it would be to get a soft top made. It wouldn't be practical to take the hardtop on and off all the time, it's pretty heavy and I think you'd end up stuffing the seals. Also the rear doors would need to be cut down into half-doors if you wanted to do a custom soft top. And you'd need to make some kind cage cos there isn't anything to support a soft top at the back.

I'm getting about 11.6L/100km average for highway driving, about 13L/100km mixed highway/city. Efficient/cheap enough as a daily driver. It's extremely fun to drive/own

If you want something that's a semi-capable 4wd, decent daily driver, etc, with an easily removable top, there's always the Daihatsu Rocky - lightweight rear hardtop that can be removed and a targa top in the front which just pops out. Be more waterproof/secure than a softtop of any description and they're pretty good little trucks
    How accurate is your millage? I would have thought it would have been a bit better than that being diesel, the family commodore does 11.3L/100 mixed and way down for highway and it probably weighs more than that and is full time 4wd

Ejected
    If you have a windscreen leek then you have rust in the windscreen frame as wel because moisture will sit betweent he seal and the metal.

I also have a leak around the windscreen and it is the usual problem, the windscreen surround has to be replaced. I've been looking for one for about 6 months but I always seem to be a bit late in the race ('sorry mate, its gone'). According to an interesting US website the windscreen problem is created by using the air conditioning unit which draws moisture into the frame and the moisture stays there and rusts out the steel. This scenario results in a new windscreen surround every 10 years. If you don't use the air conditioning the surround does not rust.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    If you have a windscreen leek then you have rust in the windscreen frame as wel because moisture will sit betweent he seal and the metal.
    I absolutely have rust in my windscreen frame.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    I also have a leak around the windscreen and it is the usual problem, the windscreen surround has to be replaced. I've been looking for one for about 6 months but I always seem to be a bit late in the race ('sorry mate, its gone'). According to an interesting US website the windscreen problem is created by using the air conditioning unit which draws moisture into the frame and the moisture stays there and rusts out the steel. This scenario results in a new windscreen surround every 10 years. If you don't use the air conditioning the surround does not rust.
    Fibreglass Replacement Panels in Australia do a replacement frame from F/glass, I intend to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Fibreglass Replacement Panels in Australia do a replacement frame from F/glass, I intend to get one.
    I'll bring it from Brisbane next week as oversized luggage if you want. Must be like a bike box size? Might save on shipping - no promise on reduced fee though!
    PM me if you want me to.
    puku, jakewire and veitnamcam like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Cheers for the offer - that'd be legendary - but it's not high on my priority list at the moment.

Well let me know when your sorted, as I'm back and forward to Oz (not just Brisbane) quite a bit. Might beable to help.
    puku likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Cheers, will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    How accurate is your millage? I would have thought it would have been a bit better than that being diesel, the family commodore does 11.3L/100 mixed and way down for highway and it probably weighs more than that and is full time 4wd

It's accurate. It's a brick-shaped truck from 1985 with mud tyres.

Gimp strange question but who is the alien/ghost in your wing mirror on page eight?

I don't have a page eight, so I cannot provide any help

@Sideshow, i see what you mean must be something normal but looks like a scream mask. your looking way too much at the photo to notice it though