Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Blue smoke....

Start to worry if it gets bad enough to run the engine and you have to stall it with the brakes

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

1hz? Don't worry about it, just keep oil up to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

SiB
    My old 4.2 turbo diesel will smoke like that. I've found different brands of oil give varying degrees of smokiness as the k's get near towards next oil change. I don't like the oil they use at those "oil changers" (Delco??) it was smoking in no time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Is it still blowing smoke while driving along flat roads ?
    Unsure will find out on monday

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    My old 4.2 turbo diesel will smoke like that. I've found different brands of oil give varying degrees of smokiness as the k's get near towards next oil change. I don't like the oil they use at those "oil changers" (Delco??) it was smoking in no time
    Suggestion on oil to use then? It's due a change, have a 10litre of valvoline 15w 40 lying around I was guna use

Caretaker
    The valvoline will be fine seeing as you already have it

Mobil Delo will give you good protection as well
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

SiB
    Haven't used valvoline so I say try it!

It's not drinking 5L of 15w like my 3 yr old Skoda did every two weeks so I think you're fine mate.

Yeah I think it's the draw sat the rings you're getting under load down hill. Just monitor your oil usage.
    Eh @northdude ! Being a mechanic you'll have a better eye on his.
    northdude likes this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Hmmm could be, would have thought they were checked when they did the new head. Going to town next week for transmission service and a few other things... Guess it's going to the garage as well, bloody things starting to be a money pit
    You want me to send my boys around @223nut.

They'll have some cash in their pockets

Cheers
    Pete
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

Blue smoke is generally, burning oil, ie worn engine components, turbos seals, rings, valve guides,
    white smoke is either burning coolant or water, or possibility incomplete combustion, ie a rag in the air-intake, no air, raw unburnt fuel.
    Black smoke is over fueling, poor combustion, or starving for air, ie plugged air filter, poor injector or fuel pump, failed turbo.

This applies for the older, non common rail engines, the new electronic bastards, tend to reduce and delay fuel so even when something is failed, may not show any black smoke.

Went for a drive this arvo, no smoke once out of low range. Changed oil anyway and been for a 2 hour drive (to get a pie...) no problems. Cheers for the help guys, think it must have sucked a bit of oil somewhere or just working a bit hard in low range engine braking, first time it's done that though.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Went for a drive this arvo, no smoke once out of low range. Changed oil anyway and been for a 2 hour drive (to get a pie...) no problems. Cheers for the help guys, think it must have sucked a bit of oil somewhere or just working a bit hard in low range engine braking, first time it's done that though.
    It is quite normal when engine braking for long periods.
    Piston rings are forced out against the bore to seal by firing pressure of the power stroke, so no power no rings being forced out against the bore to seal and scrape the bore clean hence when you put some load on the engine you get blue smoke for a breif interval till the oil that has worked its way up past the rings is burnt off.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    It's not drinking 5L of 15w like my 3 yr old Skoda did every two weeks so I think you're fine mate.

Yeah I think it's the draw sat the rings you're getting under load down hill. Just monitor your oil usage.
    Eh @northdude ! Being a mechanic you'll have a better eye on his.
    ok heres whats going on from what youve said without seeing the vehicle its sucking oil down the inlet valve guides when theres high inlet vacume ie valve guide seals are probably a bit hard but no doubt some expert will have a more scientific idea that they read off the internet or possibly pcv valve but the first thing i said would be it
    Carpe Diem likes this.

Everyone loves that two stroke smell. Turbo in my truck is about poked, oil getting past the seals and blows a bit of blue under boost conditions, must get onto that!

Edit: probably due to giving it death in the snow, not that I would drive like an idiot eh @223nut.....
    Last edited by Ryan_Songhurst; 12-09-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Everyone loves that two stroke smell. Turbo in my truck is about poked, oil getting past the seals and blows a bit of blue under boost conditions, must get onto that!

Edit: probably due to giving it death in the snow, not that I would drive like an idiot eh @223nut.....
    no idea what your talking about.... what with the quad on the back, made a nice pendulum
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.