Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: boating across foveaux strait

boating across foveaux strait

has anyone had much experience crossing from bluff to stewart island in their own boat? is it a stupid idea or is often done?

2 mates and myself are heading down there in feb and we were thinking of taking my boat across, a 5.5m alloy pontoon with a 75 merc. we were thinking mainly for the freedom of cruising around the island and so we can go do some decent fishing during our trip. our block has a sheltered little inlet where we were thinking we could moor up in or tie off with long ropes to the shore.

has anyone done this?
    cheers
    Munsey likes this.

Weather should be settled in Feb, you could talk to the ferry guys about following them over to Halfmoon bay, as long as you are well equiped & pick the weather it shouldn't be a problem.
    stevodog and outlander like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Be flexible on your return date as well.
    outlander likes this.

R93
    Often thought of doing this myself but I doubt you could take much gear and spare fuel in a 5.5 but if there is only a couple of you it should be sweet.

Mine is roughly the same size and I was going to just get it loaded on the ferry thee and back.

JoshC has done it in a little bit bigger boat I think?

Watching this thread with interest😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Caretaker
    What is the distance travelled to achieve a one way trip ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Do it all the time, flat sea takes us about 35 minutes. Rough sea up to an hour or more. We usually stop to fish on the way over though.

I have crossed it in 4-5 metre confused seas in our 7.5 but have turned back in worse (like 6+ metre seas with waves going over the boat). So like stug said, you have to be flexible. Almost every time we've gone for an extended trip, we altered what day we come home. I know quite a few people that go over in <6m boats.

Just pick your weather properly and you'll be fine. Early morning crossings are the best, preferably on slack tide.

Generally the worst part first 3rd of the way from Bluff heading over, same coming back - if its rough in the strait, the last 3rd to Bluff will generally be much rougher.

The mouth of the harbour can be pretty exciting on a shifting tide, but in a smaller boat you can skip around the sides of the rough stuff normally. Again, if weather is good, you'll piss in.

The worst thing about the strait is it is shallow, so it cuts up real quick. Knowing what the forecast is for the day is pretty important.

Over on the island there are plenty of places to anchor up in shelter around the eastern side. There are moorings in Halfmoon Bay which are spare, most guys wont worry about you tying up, if they're not in use. It pays to ask around first though. Otherwise pull up on the beach outside the pub like we do. Haha.

You can buy fuel on the island, its not any more expensive than you would expect. We always take our own fuel because we know what we are getting, and we are more versatile that way. We normally head over with 300-400 litres total for a 4-5 day trip (350 chev jet). Normally we head way down to Port Adventure or even down to Pegasus so normally so a fair way from home.

I watch this Boating Forecast Conditions and Marine Weather Information from WeatherMap and this Southland Boating Forecast from MetService.com to check on weather conditions.

Also, make sure you let Bluff Fishermans Radio (Meri) know of your intentions before leaving harbour, Ch61 & 63 off the top of my head. She's happy to take a phone call prior to heading down if you want to check on strait conditions, normally I will call her a couple of hours before heading down and make a call based on her advice. She's very knowledgeable and helpful.

Just be prepared, take all the safety equipment you would anywhere else, don't over load (to prevent overloading you can organise to send stuff over on the ferry), let people know where you are going, more than one form of communication, life jackets etc etc. You should be sweet.

Any questions just ask.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Pretty informative post there Josh. Good work

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

We took a 12 foot pontoon on the ferry, just borrow/steal a smaller boat and do that
    Micky Duck likes this.

This is awesome information thanks guys. Our block is the murray beach so were pretty much just going to head striaght there for a start. I was planning on taking 200+ litres of fuel. itl boogie along good still I think, we can cruise at 30mph+ easily on a nice day with 4 adults and dive gear.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

57JL
    good luck be safe

Most of the guys we have gone with can lift boats like your on
    That way we take our boat and shite loads if gear
    Get there safe and comfortable and still have our boat for mucking about in
    Micky Duck likes this.

I hope he's still not trying to cross or that would be one long crossing
    Dama dama likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerman View Post
    I hope he's still not trying to cross or that would be one long crossing
    Just noticed the dates....
    rugerman likes this.

Haha yes we got over and back no problem.
    rugerman likes this.

Took us 4hrs 20mins to row across.
    berg243 likes this.