Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: diesel vs petrol

Noise?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Noise?
    The engine screaming!

My brothers 2wd 2.4 petrol pulls 160kmh not that we have tried it out on the straights or anything cause its illegal and all
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    The engine screaming!
    The only noise in my mates one is 3rd gear screaming ,I thought it was pretty quiet but then I drive toyotas.
    BRADS and time out like this.

MSL
    Try a 97 rodeo for noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pointer and Toby like this.

Caretaker
    Yes, we need 4 Litre diesel engines here, and larger
    Pointer, StrikerNZ and screamO like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

The problem there is the first gear is miles too high not the revs. My 4.2 liter turbo diesels peak tourqe is up round 2200rpm
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    The problem there is the first gear is miles too high not the revs. My 4.2 liter turbo diesels peak tourqe is up round 2200rpm
    I've been driving a number of Mercedes Sprinters around of late with a little 2.2l euro diesel and am impressed with the performance and economy. Loaded with 11 large adults and heaps of gear it is no slug and still maintains good performance/economy. The big thing is a good gearbox/engine match and I have to say that the autos are great at turning power to torque with the torque converter. This hurts me to say this because I generally hate autos and only bought one because my left leg kept cutting out on me leaving me stuck on the side of the road. For getting a load moving and auto is brilliant.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    I've had an auto diesel ute stall on me several times when trying to hill start on SH2 onto SH27, which is a bloody busy intersection a little south of the Bombay's turnoff onto SH1 and into Auckland. The only saving grace was the ute was a 4x4 so had 4L.

This was a relatively lightly loaded ute, and a 2.4ton horsefloat/furniture type trailer. That was a Nissan Navara D40, supposed to be one of the higher rated little engine utes out there in terms of torque figures and power. I have a mate that had to give his brand new Amarok to the missus, and go out and buy a tow vehicle for his little trailered digger. Just couldn't work with the Runamok, hopeless on steep hill starts.

Steep hills have little diesel engine/high weight + trailer combinations stuffed. Nuf' said...
    That tow vehicle/towed mass combination is not good. For that weight you want a heavier tow vehicle for stability. Personally I prefer an old school basic big diesel for off the seal. The less electronics to drown the better. I do miss my old Safari, great for towing but slow.
    Pointer likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

If it came down to a bet on which would take off the steepest with a heavy load without getting into low box between my turbo auto landcruiser which was THE tow wagon to have for many many years and dads auto 2.8 colorado my money would be on the colorado, towwing his 2 tonne plus boat or 3-4 tonne of metal just doesnt phase it, it will smoke the tires if it cant move fast enough.
    I havent driven the nissan or amorok tho the amorok is often said to be too high geared for off road use, auto hiluxes have a very tall 1st as do the manuals and I can definitely see how you could have your problem with one of them as they just wont get moving off the line even empty on the flat.

I have a 3l v6 mitsy triton for a work vehicle and a 3turbo diesil hilux for my personal vehicle

I much prefer the diesel for towing my boat, diesels are louder more tractory, better in water which is a biggy for me, slower top end gruntyer down low,

id hate to pay for my petrol in my work truck,

Grotto
    I've got a Hilux petrol, my wife has a Hilux diesel.
    Both about same HP, but hers is heaps better for towing, and mine sucks gas, especially with a trailer. I get about 400 km per tank (probably closer to 300 with a trailer) she gets over 650 km (doesn't change much when towing).
    Wish I'd bought a diesel, but they were neatly double the price (used).

I have had both a petrol and diesel surf and found the petrol was good on open road but was geared too high for any kind of hill start in D while towing. I personally loved the diesel, left the country, so sold it:worst mistake ever. For work i drive a diesel hiace 3l d4d,i carry a shitload of steel in it and it doesnt care. Its a bit noisy on the highway doing 100.mostly because its naked internally so sound echoes in it. But i still prefer diesel and have personally found the cost is similar if not cheaper for diesel. Im not sure i would want a hilux now though as there shape seems more and more impractical with each model. Good luck in your hunt!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I wish we had the US diesels. I'd love a duramax!

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I wish we had the US diesels. I'd love a duramax!
    Till you tryed to park at pack and save or drive up a farm or forestry track... .
    Savage1 and BRADS like this.