Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Early 2000's Bounty or Ranger

Early 2000's Bounty or Ranger

Looking at a low kms Ute from this group. 2.5ltr diesel.
    They are bloody common so any advice or thoughts?

Caretaker

Early 2000's Bounty or Ranger

The ford 2005-2010 2.5 courier often ruins cylinder heads, clutches and gearboxes around the 160,000 km mark

Some have survived longer, some shorter, its a roll of the dice.

They block radiators around the 110,000 km mark too so wise to change the radiator then.

Water Pump goes at 200,000km and glow plugs about the same time.

Probably the easiest cambelt in the world to change.

Ditch the intercooler to improve throttle response off the lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

The WLT and WLAT engines eat glow plugs if you don't use genuine ford parts and we are always selling cylinder heads for them to
    Uplandstalker likes this.
    If theres lead in the air theres hope

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    The ford 2005-2010 2.5 courier often ruins cylinder heads, clutches and gearboxes around the 160,000 km mark

Some have survived longer, some shorter, its a roll of the dice.

They block radiators around the 110,000 km mark too so wise to change the radiator then.

Water Pump goes at 200,000km and glow plugs about the same time.

Probably the easiest cambelt in the world to change.

Ditch the intercooler to improve throttle response off the lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much your answer in one post
    madmaori and Tommy like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I've had a number of between 2000 and 2009 as fleet utes. Currently have a 2001 and a 2002 prior (smashed this one the way for a roar hunt). Both of these have been around 250,000km when I've brought them, with just rolling over 300,000 on the current one.

I would buy another.

I've got a 2004 bounty and it runs bloody well, had a 2001 courier as well with 300k on the clock with no issues. They're are bit low geared for lots of open road driving but great for towing.

They seem to be bullet proof apart from needing to keep an eye on the radiator and replacing glow plugs, the plugs are cheap enough and I just replace them one at a time as they go, takes less than 5 minutes, you seem to get at least two years out of the plugs.

Few more things,

Get a model with electric mirrors, the manual versions seem to be smaller and horrible.

Get a cooling system pressure check or what ever they do to check the head isn't stuffed, I've head this issue stems from the radiator problem.

They're easy to put a switch into the speedo so be skeptical with the odometer reading, heaps of people put switches in them. Have a look at the wiring if you know what to look for.

They're great utes and seem to be bloody good value at the moment, you see plenty over 300-400k which says something. I want to get the 4X4 version but the mrs wants a new house and a holiday to Hawaii
    Uplandstalker likes this.

Agree on the cooling system pressure check, even with one will less than 100,000km on it.

From the guys who I know that owned/own one, they aren't bad trucks, just have their quirks as above.

5th gear dropping and cracked heads seem to be the common flaws.

If they're well looked after, they seem to be good value for money when you compare to other double cabs of the same era.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

I ran One from new 2002 to 2012 . Over 200k and never gave any trouble . Id recommend giving one a new set of shocks as original where shit . $ 500 got me munros and it drove like it was on rails. As for any used Diesel ute , get a leak down test and radiator check/flush
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

factory radiator was/is shit once changed there are no more problems
    they eat glow plugs because they dont have a heat shut off for the glow system, starting when hot shortens the life of them
    5th gear is abit soft so dont tow heavy loads in 5th

best thing i did to mine was intercooler and exhaust
    up next is big pump and large holset turbo just cos i can

the only other complaint i see is the left front axle shaft is a weak link if your that lazy you cant pull a lever and push a switch to put it in 2wd to drive to the shops

Thanks guys, good info. They seem cheaper compared to similar Nissans etc.

5th gear is the only real issue it an overdrive and cant handlle load. Also the original bearing lacks lubrication grooves. Had ours go at 110k $1000 for rebuild when i saw the part got into ford and managed to get the bill part paid. Otherwise still going 245k now.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    They're great utes and seem to be bloody good value at the moment, you see plenty over 300-400k which says something. I want to get the 4X4 version but the mrs wants a new house and a holiday to Hawaii
    My god you got the "expensive model" there.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

i have had my 99 cab plus 4x4 for the last 2 years been a great wagon , had the the power steering cooler line rust out and leak and thats about it i got it with 272 on the clock and its now up to 295 drive it every day to work , as others have said regular maintenance is the key and dont load it up in 5th gear towing . when i got mine it was ether that or a non turbo hilux that was 10 years older id much rather have my courier much more grunt i had a 2wd one as a work car for a couple of years was worry free motoring . taking mine tomorrow on a round trip to napier with car trailer to pick up my new rally car the only thing i wish my courier had was aircon