Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By screamO
  • 6 Post By Pengy
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Pengy
  • 3 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By Gapped axe

Thread: have to eat my own words

have to eat my own words

Just to say, we have been looking for a new work ute and to be fair I'm a Toyota man through and through, well so I thought.
    Had the hilux this morning and yeah its just like a hilux and then tried the Mitsubishi hoping it was going to be as bad as I always thought it would be, well f#@k me I'm very impressed. Drives good, nice interior, good price.
    Sorry Mitsubishi for all the bad things I have ever said.

Would love to hear any comments from anyone good or bad on there experience.
    mikee likes this.

I just bought an 04 Challenger with low km`s and in very good order. I reckon it would take aprox 8-10 grand over what I paid to get a Toyota of same year and condition, and on that basis alone, I am willing to take a punt.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

I've got a '04 Challenger diesel. Does everything I ask of it. Comfortable. Good on the open road. Enough ability stock standard to get up the braided rivers for Tahr. The only negative is I can't get a factory made snorkel for it, and custom made is hell of a expensive. Done 227,000 KM without a fault.
    screamO likes this.

I am looking into getting a snorkel in from oz. Will keep you posted @Tahr
    http://www.snorkels.com.au/p/8454710...hallenger.html
    Last edited by Pengy; 25-03-2015 at 08:25 PM.
    sako75 likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Mates forestry company had a pair of 06-ish Tritons both need their gearboxes rebuilt by the 30k mark. Dealer didn't seem surprised at all.

I have heard bad reports on the Triton
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Mates forestry company had a pair of 06-ish Tritons both need their gearboxes rebuilt by the 30k mark. Dealer didn't seem surprised at all.
    Similar experience but with Navaras. The Hiluxs' that replaced them are still going well at 170,000 Km.

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Similar experience but with Navaras. The Hiluxs' that replaced them are still going well at 170,000 Km.
    And the same story with hiluxes,and injectors and diffs and alternators and front windscreens that crack if you go off road.

All modern utes have some issues but Toyota owners are more tight lipped about theirs.
    andyanimal31, gadgetman and Pengy like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I certainly can't complain about the Toyota's I've had, but the new hiluxs we have had have had a few issues; clutches all the time, actually thats about it. One blew the gearbox but that was due to someone not putting oil back in after they had drained it.

Some outfit with those Tritons does also have a couple of Hiluxes with 400k+ on original motor and box.

I'm sure they have their bad examples too, but they do seem to be less common than the Mitsi issues.

Well then better buy a FORD
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    And the same story with hiluxes,and injectors and diffs and alternators and front windscreens that crack if you go off road.

All modern utes have some issues but Toyota owners are more tight lipped about theirs.
    I should expand on that, the Navaras were retired at about the two year mark from new. They simply didn't last with the workload which is running drum stock fuel out in the Australian bush.
    Interestingly the engine, cooling system, suspension and transmission problems were mostly mirrored between the two vehicles. One for sure had a whole new engine, probably under warranty.
    My point was that Hiluxs' have handled the same commercial use very very well by comparison. I don't believe they have had much more done to them other than scheduled servicing, it wasn't a claim of unrealistic motoring just an observation.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Love my old 2000 Prado 370000 cliks and still going like a dream.
    BRADS likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Well Mitsi was the final call for the day. Fingers crossed that we get the same run out off it as we have with all the Toyota's.
    It really came down to the fact that it was one of the best utes I have driven for comfort, it was 6k less than the lowest spec hilux and the mitsi is the highest spec, resell (loss) seems to be the same as anything else over a three year period, power range is not the best thou.
    If it shits out in 12 months time it will be one of those "I told you" moments.