Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Help me! 4x4 Recommendations

Recently bought a CRV myself. Bit light for towing a trailer all the time. It's ok if it's just two adults n two kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    ok just stay away from a wizard weve got one at work its been there for 6 months sitting in the car park no one wants to touch it once you've encountered one of those pieces of shit you don't want to do another one the guy that owns it cant even find another workshop that wants anything to do with it
    I know a mechanic here that has had one in the yard for over a year. Owner doesn't want it back. The earlier model without the 4JX1 (I think) is good though.

After my Safari went walkabout I bought the
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    you will never know frustration and patience until you have replaced a clutch in a bighorn !
    Wasn't too bad when I did mine.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I have no arguments with the older Isuzu motor. It is after all a truck motor like the others of the same age. It seems that it's the new fangled direct injection 4JX1 motor that's a pig.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I know a mechanic here that has had one in the yard for over a year. Owner doesn't want it back. The earlier model without the 4JX1 (I think) is good though.

After my Safari went walkabout I bought the
    I think it's the direct injection 4JX1 that is the problem... but someone prove me wrong. I believe the 4JG2 is the older and better motor.

your mechanic that looks after your vehicle would gladly give you a punch in the head if you turned up diesel wizard being in the trade 20+ years first id say Toyota but in your price range id try for a mitsi I don't like the nissans they seem pretty gutless for something that's nearly 3l just my opinion tho
    I seem to remember driving a 2.4 landcruiser that was very gutless.

northdude
    Yea I know I've driven one on rough bush tracks as it was more intended for can't think how 300+ horsepower would of helped low range 1st gear kind of stuff depends what you want it for my escudo is a bit of a slug on the roads but is perfect for what I use it for off road

Had an Escudo and LOVED it but they struggle with trailers full of building material and anything other than a small boat (under 4 mtr).

They needed a 2 L motor and they would have been perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    I think it's the direct injection 4JX1 that is the problem... but someone prove me wrong. I believe the 4JG2 is the older and better motor.
    Yip, read it again and that is what I said. Just between you and me there is a 4JX1 sitting on my from lawn that I must shift on shortly. Just need to replace an ABS sensor.

northdude
    And more than 2 guys with hunting gear is a bit crowded and they suck to sleep in if your not a midget

northdude
    Yip, read it again and that is what I said. Just between you and me there is a 4JX1 sitting on my from lawn that I must shift on shortly. Just need to replace an ABS sensor.
    Do you know how to test them

Don't worry I wont tell anyone.

Took one for a drive once and they did seem quite grunty/smooth in comparison to the earlier models. BUT... everyone seems to think their evil so I don't want to trust one.

northdude
    If someone suggests a 4wd to you and tells you how awsem it is the give away will be how shiney it is if its really shiney chances are its just a posers 4wd

Do you know how to test them
    Not really. I do have a OBD-II diagnostic adapter and software. Need to hook up the battery and find out which one.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post

Don't worry I wont tell anyone.

Took one for a drive once and they did seem quite grunty/smooth in comparison to the earlier models. BUT... everyone seems to think their evil so I don't want to trust one.
    It does go very well. The issues are the injector system and all the oil pressure sensors that have a tendency to leak onto the loom to the engine management system that sits next to the engine. The oil runs down the loom ...