Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By kotuku
  • 2 Post By Timmay
  • 1 Post By Tommy

Thread: hilux-;pain in arse

hilux-;pain in arse

Just had my 1991hilux thru retest for WOF. previous owner knew/used one of CHCH more notorious WOFcharacters and boy did it show.
    said character recently got his wings clipped badly by LTSA.
    anyhow the old bitch needed new steering box ,new front shockies tighened wheel bearing and a headlight.
    thank christ my son has the contacts and for TM as we sourced parts.incidentally the late great gooserolla furnished its almost new front shocks for the job as its on its way to the auto wreckers any day.gettin g that steering arm off the box was a prick of a job too-neither heat nor sledgehammer,7oil would make it budge. as air turned bvery blue in the mancave the 9"anglegrinder was whipped from its lair under the bench and put to work.yup that remaining stub finally worked out what was good for itand pooped out before exitng back door at high speed(fuck my son can hurl shit when hes mad)-we think its new home is over in neighbours jungle like back yard.
    Scouser, stumpy and WallyR like this.

Sure it needed a new steering box? Usually the play is in the cup and ball in the drag link, also you can tighten the box with the grub screw on the side.
    When it comes to wheel bearings always change the lock nut to the later style with screws that hold the two large nuts together!
    Never the less good humour!
    veitnamcam and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Sure it needed a new steering box? Usually the play is in the cup and ball in the drag link, also you can tighten the box with the grub screw on the side.
    When it comes to wheel bearings always change the lock nut to the later style with screws that hold the two large nuts together!
    Never the less good humour!
    Yea that.

And technically shocks only fail if they show signs of leaking,they can be rooted and pass if not leaking and the average expected life span of shocks is only 80-100 thousand km lots less off road/corrugated roads etc.

Id say you got off pretty lightly for an old vehicle.

Also wof checks are just that only looking for safty items, a garage may point out worn/damaged parts that while not dangerous may need attention like cv wear etc.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    Just had my 1991hilux thru retest for WOF. previous owner knew/used one of CHCH more notorious WOFcharacters and boy did it show.
    said character recently got his wings clipped badly by LTSA.
    anyhow the old bitch needed new steering box ,new front shockies tighened wheel bearing and a headlight.
    thank christ my son has the contacts and for TM as we sourced parts.incidentally the late great gooserolla furnished its almost new front shocks for the job as its on its way to the auto wreckers any day.gettin g that steering arm off the box was a prick of a job too-neither heat nor sledgehammer,7oil would make it budge. as air turned bvery blue in the mancave the 9"anglegrinder was whipped from its lair under the bench and put to work.yup that remaining stub finally worked out what was good for itand pooped out before exitng back door at high speed(fuck my son can hurl shit when hes mad)-we think its new home is over in neighbours jungle like back yard.
    Not one near Northlands mall was it? I had to go somewhere else with my truck today and it failed too.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yea that.

And technically shocks only fail if they show signs of leaking,they can be rooted and pass if not leaking and the average expected life span of shocks is only 80-100 thousand km lots less off road/corrugated roads etc.

Id say you got off pretty lightly for an old vehicle.

Also wof checks are just that only looking for safty items, a garage may point out worn/damaged parts that while not dangerous may need attention like cv wear etc.
    Actually the shocks can leak a little, they just can't leak excessively, which is a discretionary call for the inspector at the time
    veitnamcam likes this.

no it was R front shock leaking.previous owners missus shouted him a pair of heavy duty rears for his birthday ,which he'd installed but never got round to front shocks.anyhow the new pair has had 6 7/8 SFA use before the gooserolla came to a terminal stop so all good.just as easy to install another steering box(im not the mechanic)certainly gives the steering a new tighter feel.
    na chilli-beleive mr notorius WOF operated in sydenham area ,but mine was through bloke at back of Lincoln Rd caltex station.
    Ah well 1-2days to resolve some bloody work shit (performance appraisal)then ill head for GSPFollowers for a wee break.
    would have done it earlier but spent tuesday in ashburton at a favourite uncles funeral.terrible fucking ceremony for a gathering of the clan ,but unfortunately for mostof us its a bloody bridge thats always coming.