Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How slow is a non turbo 4.2d 80-series Landcruiser?

How slow is a non turbo 4.2d 80-series Landcruiser?

Noticed an 80-series Landcruiser for sale locally at what looks to be a good price, manual one too but its the 4.2 non turbo version.

A little bit tempted but would it be frustratingly slow on the road and going up hills?

I have a 4.2 non turbo manual 70 series SWB which I am guessing has the same 1HZ motor. It is no rocket ship from a standing start but it gets along OK. It is going to depend a lot on what you are used to driving I guess ...

Yeah, I've had a Legacy GTB for the last 6 years so if I do buy a 4wd I'm resigned to it feeling slow. There is slow and then there is 'struggle to overtake that truck doing 80 in front of you' slow though!

Its the latter.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    Pointer and BRADS like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

You'll learn to drive again...lol. My 105 series was a manual and had a 1hz, and yes they are slow. Although once you're on the open road and ticking along at 110 it'll do that ok. Passing was a challenge at times but you learn what distances you need. Mine would tow 2.5-3 tonne fine, just slow on inclines. I'd did 200,000kms in mine in just over 2.5 years and never tired of driving it. They're bloody reliable and simple to work on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Had one in a 70series ute.Not the fastest .They are prone to cracked head around the 200k mark other than that fairly robust

Cheers fullas, I'll have a think about it over christmas. Wasn't really planning to change vehicle just now but happened to drive past and thought it looked a good deal.

My 105 has towed an 18 foot van 1 1/2 times round Oz.Will go anywhere! Slowly.19-20 lts/100.27 with a head wind.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Naturally aspirated cruisers don't accelerate, they gently gather momentum (just drove my "new" one from Palmy to Welly)
    veitnamcam and GravelBen like this.

Manual 80s seem very uncommon

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    They are, turbo manual 80s even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I think its an 80 but I'm by no means an expert on Landcruisers! 1995 NZ-new one.

Found it on tardme too, here it is. If one of you lot likes it and grabs it I won't be too worried.

Toyota Land Cruiser LANDCRUISER 1995 | Trade Me

It is an 80, and is tidy. We (family) had one exactly the same but green - sold it with 620,000kms on it!

I looked at this one while walking back into town from dropping car at HVS last week, it is in good nick.

Although if you were wanting an opinion, I know you'll probably find a better one, turboed and probably auto and with a bit of gear set up for not much more coin than that one. The 4.2 turbo on an auto box is a very reliable and usable set up. I wouldn't go back to a manual landcruiser after owning a auto one. You want the 24 valve 1HDt motor though if you are looking at others.

Up to you though obviously.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Yep fair point, but I have a pretty strong dislike of driving autos. Turbo would definitely suit me better though.

Wasn't really looking but noticing it sparked one of my sporadic "think about ditching the Subaru for a proper 4wd" moods. The last couple of times I thought about it (like last time I asked for 4wd advice on here) I couldn't bring myself to sacrifice the on-road fun for off-road ability... think I just need two vehicles! Maybe I'll get a truck and another MX5.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 21-12-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    It is an 80, and is tidy. We (family) had one exactly the same but green - sold it with 620,000kms on it!

I looked at this one while walking back into town from dropping car at HVS last week, it is in good nick.

Although if you were wanting an opinion, I know you'll probably find a better one, turboed and probably auto and with a bit of gear set up for not much more coin than that one. The 4.2 turbo on an auto box is a very reliable and usable set up. I wouldn't go back to a manual landcruiser after owning a auto one. You want the 24 valve 1HDt motor though if you are looking at others.

Up to you though obviously.
    If I was to own another the only way that would happen is 24v and manual.