Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Hunting quads, do they need rego and wof

Hunting quads, do they need rego and wof

Hey just wondering about quads for hunting and if they need to be rego'd and wof'd. I would think as not on road they might be exempt?
    After a long walk in to hunting grounds thinking quad would make the time go that much faster and a damn site easier for a carry out.

I normally hunt DOC land.

Cheers
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Technically you need the quad licenced if it ever goes on public roads (includes beaches).
    Off road, like going into a hunting block, I would assume you aren't using any public roads so wouldn't need to licence it.
    But if you are heading into DoC blocks, it might pay to find out if they allow quads in those areas. DoC usually frown on motorised transport being used.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

cheers for the reply Cambo.
    The area I hunt has a 4x4 route straight to the action, not the easiest place to get through but plenty using motor bikes, quads etc.
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

I can't recall seeing a quad with a number plate and indicators anywhere ever.
    Dundee, Savage1, Dreamer and 3 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    The council here has them for weed spraying. A couple of years ago the police were nabbing quads and bikes on beaches and river beds without rego/wof.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yep you can use a quad on public roads if you Register them ,30 kph is the speed limit ,wear a helmet from memory i spoke to the LTSA there could have been something else needed i dont recall - rego was cheap enough tho at lest the time i inquired .
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt !!

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Here you go Cam..

I have my Quad Licenced. I use it for both hunting access and fishing access. The police patrol a few of the local beaches and now Quads need to be licenced, as for hunting I would think not.

Name:  20150405_115733.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  569.1 KB
    Name:  20150124_200504.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  381.5 KB
    Last edited by Shootm; 06-04-2015 at 09:28 AM.
    veitnamcam likes this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

I know you can register farm vehicles like tractors and quads without getting a wof. Class b I think it is, just an annual fee of about $80.
    There probably is a law regarding that. A local farmer had a disagreement with a neighbour that moved into this area, he didn't like driving through what little shit the cows left when they occasionally crossed the road so he complained to council a bunch of times. To comply, the farmer had to get his crossing approved or certified which meant he had to apply for consent then erect signs and a warning light for when they were crossing but he got it legal. He was told it's the only approved cattle crossing in northland haha. All because a townie bought a rural property and on a road where they are only two houses. Defies belief really but there is a law for most things

Sent from my workbench
    veitnamcam likes this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    I know you can register farm vehicles like tractors and quads without getting a wof. Class b I think it is, just an annual fee of about $80.
    There probably is a law regarding that. A local farmer had a disagreement with a neighbour that moved into this area, he didn't like driving through what little shit the cows left when they occasionally crossed the road so he complained to council a bunch of times. To comply, the farmer had to get his crossing approved or certified which meant he had to apply for consent then erect signs and a warning light for when they were crossing but he got it legal. He was told it's the only approved cattle crossing in northland haha. All because a townie bought a rural property and on a road where they are only two houses. Defies belief really but there is a law for most things

Sent from my workbench
    Should be shot with his own shit (the towny )
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    Here you go Cam..

I have my Quad Licenced. I use it for both hunting access and fishing access. The police patrol a few of the local beaches and now Quads need to be licenced, as for hunting I would think not.

Attachment 35522
    Attachment 35523
    Well there you go....

First time for everything, down here you are shot on site and your remains imprisoned for eternity if you put any kind of vehicle on a beach.
    On the coast you are golden as long as your vehicle is not pissing out oil/fuel.

Hunting quads, do they need rego and wof

Well there you go....

First time for everything, down here you are shot on site and your remains imprisoned for eternity if you put any kind of vehicle on a beach.
    On the coast you are golden as long as your vehicle is not pissing out oil/fuel.
    I wish it was like that here.....
    Our beaches resemble Moto x tracks a times.
    All these muppets that can't ride quads.....
    They wad themselves up and it gets added two farm atv injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I wish it was like that here.....
    Our beaches resemble Moto x tracks a times.
    All these muppets that can't ride quads.....
    They wad themselves up and it gets added two farm atv injuries.

I hope you are joking, there will be no beach access for any type of vehicle anywhere in NZ before I have grandkids, that is my prediction.

Brads you have your own land and control access for hunting, how would you feel if that was taken away from you?

I hope you are joking, there will be no beach access for any type of vehicle anywhere in NZ before I have grandkids, that is my prediction.

Brads you have your own land and control access for hunting, how would you feel if that was taken away from you?
    Just my opinion.
    I hate the beach when there's family's there with little kids and muppets tearing around amongst them on bikes....
    I counted 16 bikes on the little beach we go to at Xmas at one time.....
    If we don't were helmets on the farm we can get fined 20k but muppets that can't ride don't need them on the beach?
    Maybe I'm just getting old.
    I don't have my own land, and the land we lease I can't seem to control access at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Just my opinion.
    I hate the beach when there's family's there with little kids and muppets tearing around amongst them on bikes....
    I counted 16 bikes on the little beach we go to at Xmas at one time.....
    If we don't were helmets on the farm we can get fined 20k but muppets that can't ride don't need them on the beach?
    Maybe I'm just getting old.
    I don't have my own land, and the land we lease I can't seem to control access at all.

Beaches and rivers are legally public roads, report dick heads, banning vehicles is not the answer.

Banning any firearms within a 100km of your leased land would help with the poaching but not stop it, all it would do is punish you and other law abiding citizens, we need less laws not more!
    gadgetman and BRADS like this.

I wanted to get my canam registered, went to the AA and they said I should ring LTNZ......so I did, told them I wanted to register it for farm use and to use it for river and beach use, to be told they are two different registrations and I had to tell them which one I wanted because you cant have both!!!! gave up and decided I would just use it as I want.
    As for the 20K fine if your not wearing your helmet, what a fuckin joke I don't think you have to wear one if your doing under 20km's per hr as far as the laws concerned....but then the law and H&S don't go together very well. You can be fined your 20k for not wearing your helmet through "work time" but then you go home to your lifestyle block and do what you please WTF
    veitnamcam and BRADS like this.