Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Kitset Boats

Kitset Boats

Anyone built one or had anything to do with a particular brand of one?

Sorta keen on this one.

DIYNO Kitset Boats - Choose the 361

Like the look of it, solid compared to the likes of a frypan etc,nigh on 50kph with a 30 horse.
    Dont like its lack of reserve boyancy which appeares to be all in the forward seat and a little in the hull strengthening tho this is something I can add myself, if swamped would like to be bailable not just floating with the bow in the air and motor 3m underwater.

80% of its use would be estuary and 20percent open water but probably no worse than I am already doing in a leaky 10foot dingy.

Lookin at 30 horses on tard me run from about 4k for a basic two smoke manual everything to around 10-11k for elec start power trim tilt 4 stroke....probably wouldnt go 4stroke in this power range,to heavy and no real fuel savings as carbyed anyway.

Definitely want power trim and tilt tho even if it means putting a second hand motor on a new boat.

Can get this kit delivered with cad cut flat pack and cad cut customwood jig for 3250 which I thought wasnt too bad?

Ages ago I enquired about a flat pack from DNA so this price may not be current but a 4.2 pontoon high sided dingy kit was $3600,which is pretty good also untill you factor in we dont have a break press at work so I have to pay someone to fold up the pontoons at probably 5-600 bucks and it really needs 40 plus horse power which means more dollars.

Outboards rise in price exponentially for the horse power and then you have to feed the barstards.

I would rather have a small and wildy overpowered boat that cruises with ease and can handle whatever I throw at it than something that goes ok with me and a fishing rod and one can of beer but has its ring hanging out when I add two kids or a generously proportioned fishing buddy.

I also have pretty much decided I need a cuddy cabin rather than an open dingy, protection from weather for the kids when I have to pick up my net in 40 knots.

I see DNA do kits for the wee 4.2? cuddy like Josh James has but not for the new "x"hull but not sure of costs on that,Joshes one seems under-powered from what I can see on his vids with a 40 4stroke......... need to go see Jason and have a chat I think.

Obviously there is all sorts of other costs involved like trailer and fit out etc etc but mainly interested in any members experiences with alloy kit boats.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Cam you need a boat, I reacon y the amount of use you get out of your tinny you deserce a decent boat. call it an investment in to the future. sure you nearly always lose money on the bloody things, but then money isn't always the true value. I currently have 2 buccaneers and a couple of Tinny's could still need one more.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    That thing looks to bloody small to Me
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

P38
    VC

Looks like a good idea, especially if you have the means and skills to weld it together.

Do you think a 3mm hull is getting pretty thin?

Especially if you're pushing it along with a 30hp outboard and hit something submerged which is likely in an estuary.

5mm hull might be better.

Cheers
    Pete

Have done one dna, won't be ever doing another
    There will still be some folding to be done in any thing you get

But they all go together well

Yep it is small GA, but that means I can afford to use it eveyday the weather is good enough(and I have been accused of being slightly mad)
    Dad has a 6m allicraft (do they even make those anymore?) its a fully welded but pressed hull like a parker craft/frypan etc with a 90 two stroke, its under powered and I am well versed in its fuel usage. If I had a boat that size it would be used twice a month if that like most other boats that size.
    My boat will be used 2-7 days a week if I size it right.
    mikee, oneipete and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Have done one dna, won't be ever doing another
    There will still be some folding to be done in any thing you get

But they all go together well
    What did you build and what was your experiences?

PM if you prefer or post here....it is bloody hard to find anything on the internet on any kit builds.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    VC

Looks like a good idea, especially if you have the means and skills to weld it together.

Do you think a 3mm hull is getting pretty thin?

Especially if you're pushing it along with a 30hp outboard and hit something submerged which is likely in an estuary.

5mm hull might be better.

Cheers
    Pete
    A frypan of the same lenght is 1.6mm of a softer lower tensile alloy so 3mm should be heaps!!! it is way thicker than any other boat that size, the only reason it is that thick is 3mm is getting towards the lower limit of your average muppets welding ability.
    chrome likes this.

I've got a 5.6 metre and it's a pain to go fishing in by yourself, launching and retrieval, have thought a small alloy or such I could chuck in of. The beach with my 8 hp would be more usable and I'd go fishing a bit more
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I've got a 5.6 metre and it's a pain to go fishing in by yourself, launching and retrieval, have thought a small alloy or such I could chuck in of. The beach with my 8 hp would be more usable and I'd go fishing a bit more
    Yep manageable by myself(in any weather) is a must, most of my boating is solo(for some reason people dont want to come fishing when ist is raining and blowing like f&*^ ) but big enough to fish me and a couple of kids and tow a biscuit or maybe knee board when they get some confidence.
    Maca49 likes this.

Remember boats need HP or they are always a dog!
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I feel your pain. My 6.6m has left the driveway twice since 13th March last year and one trip was for a warrant !!
    Blaser and Maca49 like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Remember boats need HP or they are always a dog!
    Yes, trade me your 8 and get a 15, 5 6 and 8 are dogs, they will plane a 8-10-12 footer by yourself when its calm just, if you catch fish and any chop you cant plane and are full throttle for an hour back to shore.
    trouble is is a 15 is substantially heaver than a 8, you need a 12 footer minimum to hang one on or you will swamp it.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I feel your pain. My 6.6m has left the driveway twice since 13th March last year and one trip was for a warrant !!
    I dont wanna be that guy lol, to be fair tho Mikee I am sure you could have used it more but maybe your interests have moved more land based?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I dont wanna be that guy lol, to be fair tho Mikee I am sure you could have used it more but maybe your interests have moved more land based?
    That is definitly a true statement but the bigger boat is just a pain in the arse, Can't manage it on my own, need to launch at a ramp, fuel costs are horrendus if I were to use it as much as I would hope.
    Not to mention expenses always go up but ......................................... does not.

Have you considered seeing if these guys do a smaller version than the link I have just attached
    Alloy hull fish dive HUNTFISH 4250 | Trade Me

Seems floor might be fully sealed (buoyancy you are after) and they might even do it in a kit for you
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.