Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Kitset Boats

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    That is definitly a true statement but the bigger boat is just a pain in the arse, Can't manage it on my own, need to launch at a ramp, fuel costs are horrendus if I were to use it as much as I would hope.
    Not to mention expenses always go up but ......................................... does not.

Have you considered seeing if these guys do a smaller version than the link I have just attached
    Alloy hull fish dive HUNTFISH 4250 | Trade Me

Seems floor might be fully sealed (buoyancy you are after) and they might even do it in a kit for you
    Fugly, looks like something I would build by drawing on cardboard and cutting till it looked like a boat...kindof...almost.

I am not a boat designer hence after a proven design not something someone like me built and put on trade me if you get my drift.

resale is also a consideration if god willing situation improves and I can run something bigger.
    mikee likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Fugly, looks like something I would build by drawing on cardboard and cutting till it looked like a boat...kindof...almost.

I am not a boat designer hence after a proven design not something someone like me built and put on trade me if you get my drift.

resale is also a consideration if god willing situation improves and I can run something bigger.
    Fair call, their little jet boats are really popular though
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I did a 4.6 centre console, every bend in the pontoons is a different degree
    Which adds to bend cost, got sent the wrong keel plates , slow to sort things
    Just little things that turn the job to a shit job
    Plus you loose a shit tonne of interior space with a pontoon

But our big one was thru hall marine and it was fantastic would do another in a heart beat

You can also put foam in to aid boyancy

Only thing I will add which I'm just starting to learn
    It sounds cheap but there is a lot of missed family time/fishing /hunting time while you are building it
    And if you only save a couple of grand it mite not be worth it
    Just my 2c anyway
    Blaser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    I did a 4.6 centre console, every bend in the pontoons is a different degree
    Which adds to bend cost, got sent the wrong keel plates , slow to sort things
    Just little things that turn the job to a shit job
    Plus you loose a shit tonne of interior space with a pontoon

But our big one was thru hall marine and it was fantastic would do another in a heart beat

You can also put foam in to aid boyancy

Only thing I will add which I'm just starting to learn
    It sounds cheap but there is a lot of missed family time/fishing /hunting time while you are building it
    And if you only save a couple of grand it mite not be worth it
    Just my 2c anyway
    Mate everyone but me is asleep, even the dogs are asleep on the floor(who let them in ), tv is on but I muted it as soon as the wife crashed so I am on here because, well I dont have a boat to build.

That wee dingy I recon I could knock out in a weekend for basic hull not including fit out of all the extras I would want, a pontoon on the other hand would be a lot of work.

Googleing Hall marine....

Had already looked at them, dont do anything small enough.

Why dont any kit providers provide the fucken price on their website? dont they want to sell them?

The hull takes fuck all,
    Did our big one in 10 weekend days

Fit out is the killer
    My wee jet was 4 days including cut out and so far about 6 months fucking about fitting out
    When your tight small jobs take all day instead of $400

Also depends how fussy you are, I hate rippes in sides so I over think how I'm
    Going to stop them which adds time

Also if you build at home it's not so bad but I build mine away from home so it's like working 7 days

Not saying don't do one cos it's very rewarding

I would say halls would be too costly
    veitnamcam likes this.

Didn't @Spanners build one of their jet boats?

After spending the last couple of months fitting out my 3m jet it's safe to say I will not be doing it again, although rather satisfying yesterday when i took it for its first spin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    puku, veitnamcam and stingray like this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    After spending the last couple of months fitting out my 3m jet it's safe to say I will not be doing it again, although rather satisfying yesterday when i took it for its first spin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Photos!
    stingray, Beaker and Tommy like this.

VC, I had this fellow, Kim bertleson (who is actually an aircraft designer) build me a 14ft semi commercial dory about 4 years ago. The hull has a 10 year warranty and his pricing and service was remarkable. I am delighted with my boat. Although he appears not to be building the monohull model I have any more, I just checked his website and found these. When he designed my boat I requested a shallow vee hull that could plane at low speed, yet have good load carrying capacity and be safe and stable for similar uses to what you describe. My boat is powered by an economical 30hp Tohatsu outboard and my wife and I plus dogs and gear have made more than one day trip from Mt Manganui to Motiti island, fished and trolled all day and returned on a slow (10 knot plane using less than 4 gallons of fuel for the day.

Kingfisher Minicats | Alloy Cats
    veitnamcam likes this.

Gotta say, the bottom picture here Kingfisher 370 Minicat | Alloy Cats is pretty impressive

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Don't remember ever getting in trouble with too large an outboard on too small a boat (25hp on a boat the size of a bath tub is entertaining), but I do have some vivid memories of chugging into a chop in an overloaded under powered boat I could do without.

Edit to add: I got out of the 25hp powered miniature speedboat (feet hard up in the bow, back just forward of the engine) and said "that was f#cking cool but he is going to die". It was quick enough to blitz jet skis but the only thing in the water as the prop. Was another two months before he rolled it at a good 90km/hr. Sheepishly sold soon after.
    Sounds like the CR500 of watercraft

Not sure if I would want a cat....never been on one before.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Not sure if I would want a cat....never been on one before.
    They are nice and stable, but a bit slammy in rougher stuff. (that's only based on a half a dozen boats that mates own, I'd like to be proved wrong)

blackdog cats have a good reputation in the rough if that helps
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.