Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Landcruiser wanted but which one

Toyota landcruiser Prado 1994Start price: $9,000.00*No*reserve* Closes: Mon 6 Aug, 10:31 pm Listing #: 496897740I've got a new job and comes with a van supplied , so will sell my 4 wd ute and want a cruiser as a designated hunting wagon . I want the shape above but don't no much about them . The shape doesn't change but the motors do . Which motor should I go for as the one above is just an example . Any help would be great , thanks in advance Munsey

1kz hands down dont touch a 2.4 you will cry everytime you drive it when every other vehicle on the road over takes you
    good trucks like all good toyotas should be, ones i get to check for wofs never seem to have too much wrong with them

[QUOTE=longrange308;31322]1kz hands down dont touch a 2.4 you will cry everytime you drive it when every other vehicle on the road over takes yougood trucks like all good toyotas should be, ones i get to check for wofs never seem to have too much wrong with themThanks longrange, that's the same as or similar to the surf 3 lts. Is there a 5 cylinder motor ? What are they like ?
    Last edited by Munsey; 05-08-2012 at 08:42 PM.

1kz is 3L diesel same as one in that trade me listing you posted, very good motors as long as you service it and dont cook it
    the 2LTE is the 2.4 and are a complete POS
    if you get auto fit trans cooler and you should be sweet
    then it starts with 33s,body lift, suspension lift, diff locks

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    1kz is 3L diesel same as one in that trade me listing you posted, very good motors as long as you service it and dont cook it
    the 2LTE is the 2.4 and are a complete POS
    if you get auto fit trans cooler and you should be sweet
    then it starts with 33s,body lift, suspension lift, diff locks
    +1!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    The one your looking at it the way to go, get the 3.0L engine. Automatic is good. Suspension is awesome. Be mr anal retentive with servicing and keep a very close eye on the cooling system and you they are great. I loved mine. Looking for an excuse for one as a second truck. 2.4l are fast enough, but if you drive them fast, they melt.
    Tussock have to put a hold on those tyres we where trying to bulk buy because I will sell my ute . But I will be pimping my cruiser when I get one, rubber will be first .

I have never owned a 5 cyl cruiser but all reports Iv had is that they were a lemon. 1KZ
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I can't believe how much people are talking about the 3.0's overheating... it's a hilux engine!!! They're supposed to be bulletproof. You folks have got me worried.

All I can say is my surf goes like a rocket, has tonnes of grunt and costs me about as much as my 2.0L Celica costs (even with road user charges).

I think the land cruisers are intercooled aren't they?

All toyotas have a rep for overheating actually all brands have a rep for overheating.
    Its because we as a nation are a bunch of rough buggers generally.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

rimfire dont stress it normaly the people that see the temp gauge go up and think she'll be rite that have the problems

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    All toyotas have a rep for overheating actually all brands have a rep for overheating.
    Its because we as a nation are a bunch of rough buggers generally.
    just had one that had blown the top tank clean off the radiator and on 3 cylinders
    but it had a little water leak

I spent 6 months looking into these prados to purchace one and almost gave in untill i parked next to one in the servo.... picked it up a week later. Best wagon i have ever owned. Definately stick to the 3L 1kzte engine, I started looking at the 2.4L but they have problems with turbo seals and head gaskets a lack of power...the list goes on. If my memory servs me correct the model numbers are the SX and EX They are the last of the Prados with the solid front axil ( i think).
    While you are inspecting the wagon have a look at the air intake manifold for oil leaks as this can mean the turbo seals are on the way out and oil is doing a loop where it should not be (usualy from no turbo timer fitted hence cooking the seals)
    Good luck to you... if you get a good one you will not regret it.

500g/l of glycol, a new thermostat and a good gauge is your best insurance for 1kz's and 2lt's.

Ive had about 4 2lt's so far, never blown one from overheating (only valve seats fracturing once).

On my first 1kz, its got 250km's on it, driven like a rental and doesn't complain even up the lindis or ski fields. Great engines.

Chris

Thanks guys you a wealth of knowledge once again