Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: LED Light Bars

LED Light Bars

Hi Guys,

I'm after an LED light bar for the ute. I was going to mount it above or below the nudge bar and have it wired to the high beam.

Does anyone have experience with getting decent ones?

I heard there were some issues around getting a WOF with them fitted depending on the interpretation at certain VTNZ stations also, can someone shed some ligfht on this issue and the answer?

Cheers.

firstly never go to a vtnz station, they are idiots who once told me my horn was too loud and that my handbrake play was too high despite me pointing it out in the vehicle handbook and service manual that it was correct. i fitted a 240mm long bar onto our triton and the beam is bloody awesome. providing it can only be used on high beam and automatically turn off on dip then it shouldnt be an issue

Ejected
    I second that. I have only ever had issues with VTNZ stations, yet the things they let through were both dodgy and obvious. I remember they pulled me up on my airhorns being too loud as well (they weren't) and my headlights being too yellowed, but they didn't notice that my drivers seat was held on with one mount with the rest broken off and propped up with a bit of box section and my two front shocks were just one tube of steel rattling around in another one with no fluid in sight. Had both fixed pretty quick smart but still... I just wanted to see what else they'd fail me on before I went ahead and fixed everything

I'd call a shop that sells them and the place (that isn't VTNZ) that you're going to use for WOFs. If they seem like they're talking out their arse then call another place and then go there instead.

Call it a "work lamp" and your good to go

Vehicle testing stations worry me a LOT with what they miss, and the amount of time they spend looking for things that they cannot fail you on.
    They re-adjusted my spotlights to a point that they were useless, f'd my handbrake by pulling it up while driving along to try and figure out if only one wheel was not locking up, and totally missed that one front brake had 0.1mm of pad left.

You "should" be fine with a single lightbar, as it's just a single high beam light (provided it will come on / off with your high beams). Best not take it to a vehicle testing station if you have a choice.

they were failing them because they dont focus?? you see heaps on new vechicles but they dont have to worry for the next three years

I've got one I'd be keen to sell. If you want some more info or photos just let me know. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    they were failing them because they dont focus?
    I heard they were failing them because they weren't certified to the same official standard for waterproofness etc, wonder which story is true?

I once had VTNZ fail a car for condensation in a foglight... muppets. Took it back for a re-check on a warmer day and it passed.
    JoshC likes this.

I put a 19.8 inch super cheap auto one on my jimny wired though the hi beam or have iton by itself or just turned off works awesome

Again "work light" or "scene light" void of all inspection standards
    There's a grey area for most things

Wire it on a separate switch that only gets power when your high beam is on and you will have no worries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JoshC, Pengy and Simo like this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Thanks for the replies guys!

looks like i will be getting a work light wired up
    sometimes likes this.

Get one off ebay, heaps cheaper than buying here in nz unless 2nd hand.
    7mmsaum likes this.

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    I have just fitted a 400w 42" one to my prado and the light is amazing!! mounted to a roof rack.
    Works mint, meant to be 42500 lumens it makes mu 4x 100w xeon lamps look like girls toys
    Just ordered it from eBay
    Get either a philips or osram one
    300_BLK likes this.
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    Rubbish photos but you get the idea
    Name:  IMG_4098.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  513.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pengy and LOC like this.
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser