Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Light Bars

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    If you are going to mount them, don't attach them above the windscreen. In foggy, raining, and dusty conditions, it will radically reduce your vision. Spots might be ok, but flood will be terrible.
    Hadnt thought of that problem, good reason to wire them up with their own switch inside

Iv got mine hooked up to high beam. Gives a good light to fill in everything you lose as your lights light up further ahead. I have to admit that I loath my headlight yellowness now. I'm upgrading bulbs to more whiter light

My wof man did not see my light bar

Rules are being figured out in Aus and nz generally follows them so I'm told

Bit of an ugly mounting spot but it seems to be throw the light well

Sent from the swamp

Ejected
    Yuk.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    You're brave going poaching with your sticker on the gig
    Don't know what ya mean......certainly makes it hard not to me noticed!! Can upset a few if they think a getting all the easy deer!!!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Gibo likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I've actually been thing of getting a spot lights for the Colorado add the lights are too bright when in thick fog.
    Bit unsure if led bars would be any good for this purpose?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Yuk.
    Ha ha it is yuk. Iv only put it there till my bar is finished then it's going on there.
    This bonnet was poked and I have a new one to stick on. I just didn't want to wait to try it out

Sent from the swamp

I had a good read of the rules on this one and I think they are quite legal on a separate switch like fog lights... I am thinking of getting a set and making them removable. That way I can take them off for the WOF and most round town stuff. Some F+++++ stole my old spots, well that's living in dorkland for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    I too have been looking for something to mount on my nudge bar but after more spot then flood.
    Hard to work out whats going to work best
    We built a couple of naiad tenders and instead of putting the traditional rotating spot light Om the roof, we put the new LED lights from Hella Marine. One has as wider beam, great for periphery lighting the other has a long distance penetrating beam. We mounted the penetrating beam between two wider spots. Good combo, lights up the sides and distance in front.

Sea Hawk-XLB LED Floodlights - Floodlights, LED - Hella Marine

Would love to put on wagon but a little over a grands worth.

They recon they have something in the pipeline, similar tech but in cube type modules you will be able to bolt into a bar that you want.
    Pengy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Some Testing Stations won't give you a WOF with them mounted on the nudge/bullbar due to the fact they don't have an ADR rating as a headlight, even if you have it switched manually. Your round or rectangular spots do have the necessary ratings and apply. Typical inconsistencies will apply across the country with the NZTA rulings. Just something to be wary of.
    They need to check their regs. There are no such thing as ADR rated lights anymore. That particular ruling got abolished many years ago.

At the moment there is no regs in the WoF VIRM relating to LED light bars, but NZTA are looking into adopting the aussie rules though. When that will happen no one knows.
    So at the moment the only way a LED light bar will pass for a WoF is to fit them on the roof (then they are no longer a WOF item), or have them wired as either a fog lamp or as a driving lamp.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    They need to check their regs. There are no such thing as ADR rated lights anymore. That particular ruling got abolished many years ago.

At the moment there is no regs in the WoF VIRM relating to LED light bars, but NZTA are looking into adopting the aussie rules though. When that will happen no one knows.
    So at the moment the only way a LED light bar will pass for a WoF is to fit them on the roof (then they are no longer a WOF item), or have them wired as either a fog lamp or as a driving lamp.

Thanks for that.
    What about rear facing light bar, to assist reversing ?
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Thanks for that.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Thanks for that.
    Nothing stopping you from having more.
    I have 2 on my Terrano. 1 on each side of the spare tyre to light up either side.

I also have a LED light bar on the front (wired in as a fog light) along with 2 spot lights. With all the lights on, driving along a dark country road is brilliant. The LED bar has heaps of spill which makes cornering better, and the spotties give the throw for long range vision. The light bar puts out better light than the headlights Lo beam but not as good as Hi beam. Low speed crawling along a river bed or farm track, the LED bar is fantastic. Foggy nights however, the LED light is far too white and simply creates a white blanket out front.

The quality of LEDs are getting much better. Decent brands are very good quality but horrendously priced. Cheaper Chinese lights are available much more reasonably. Quality of bracketry and bolts leaves much to be desired though. My light bar came from Aliexpress and was landed for under $75ND.
    gadgetman, GravelBen and Pengy like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

How do people findig mounting the bars? Tempted to get one but dont wana apay for installation if I pay for a good brand. Dont have a welder just a good drill

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    How do people findig mounting the bars? Tempted to get one but dont wana apay for installation if I pay for a good brand. Dont have a welder just a good drill
    Narva have kits for mounting on bars, either 50mm or 25mm inserts with their clamps. They have just released a new line of their proven Big Red range. Worth a look if you are interested in the higher end lights.

Nothing stopping you from having more.
    I have 2 on my Terrano. 1 on each side of the spare tyre to light up either side.
    Good looking setup, I bought a Terrano a couple of weeks ago and been getting a few ideas for it (along with some neglected maintenance that I was a bit casual and didn't check up on before buying...), had similar thoughts to your setup for lighting. Has the factory nudge bar with spotlight mounts and looks like foglight wiring already which would that part pretty easy.

By the way, do you happen to have a digital copy of the workshop/service manual for them or know where I could find one?