Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: New Gadget Mobile

Thanks VC.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Will do some tyre kicking this weekend. What should I look out for? Bits to avoid, bonus bits, diff locks and how to identify, ...

Will be something in the 400,000km range.
    Shit you don't ask for much do you

400k on a Cruiser is just run in. Bodies don't rust like pootrols.
    Look for a 24V if you can. The 12v have issues with big end bearings failing with higher ks. Not a big job to replace though if needed. Might get a better deal on a 12v due to that though. If the oil pressure guage flucuates or doesn't move off lowest mark when idling, it is normally a sign they need doing.
    You will definately want a turbo as well GM. Anything to help you move faster ........
    Watch out for front drive flanges wear and they can loose drive if bad enough, geing permanant 4wd.
    There are kits available to make them 4wd/2wd selectable. It's not just a matter of fitting free wheeling hubs.
    Ice box in the centre consle is very handy for cooling beverages.
    Have a good look around where the steering box mounts to the chassis. The welds crack and the chassis needs welding and strengthening. Problem more prevalant on trucks with big wheels.
    Triple diff locks are very handy if you can find 1 with them. Very sort after so prices are much higher though.
    They can blow smoke when cold. Typical Cruiser type thing. When warm they seem to be OK.
    Look out for any fuel leaks from the injector pump. We seem to have done a few over the last few months. Not just top gasket either. Need full strip and o/haul.
    P/s pumps can leak, but easy job to rekit.

We have trucks that come into work that have done over 500ks and still going strong.
    veitnamcam, Munsey and Maca49 like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Shit you don't ask for much do you

400k on a Cruiser is just run in. Bodies don't rust like pootrols.
    Look for a 24V if you can. The 12v have issues with big end bearings failing with higher ks. Not a big job to replace though if needed. Might get a better deal on a 12v due to that though. If the oil pressure guage flucuates or doesn't move off lowest mark when idling, it is normally a sign they need doing.
    You will definately want a turbo as well GM. Anything to help you move faster ........
    Watch out for front drive flanges wear and they can loose drive if bad enough, geing permanant 4wd.
    There are kits available to make them 4wd/2wd selectable. It's not just a matter of fitting free wheeling hubs.
    Ice box in the centre consle is very handy for cooling beverages.
    Have a good look around where the steering box mounts to the chassis. The welds crack and the chassis needs welding and strengthening. Problem more prevalant on trucks with big wheels.
    Triple diff locks are very handy if you can find 1 with them. Very sort after so prices are much higher though.
    They can blow smoke when cold. Typical Cruiser type thing. When warm they seem to be OK.
    Look out for any fuel leaks from the injector pump. We seem to have done a few over the last few months. Not just top gasket either. Need full strip and o/haul.
    P/s pumps can leak, but easy job to rekit.

We have trucks that come into work that have done over 500ks and still going strong.
    Thanks Cambo. The big end bearings going seems to be a common problem at 100,000-150,000km. Are there better after market bearings available? The non rusting is a plus, normally easier to replace engine bits than body bits. Any idea on the cost of the 2x4/4x4 kits?
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Doesn't matter what bearings you use really. Genuine normally better but they do cost more. Haven't has any issues with aftermarket bearings though.

Check out Marks Adapters for part time 4wd kits.
    Part Time 4WD Conversion Kits to suit Toyota LandCruiser
    The NZ agent is 4wd Upgrades on Brougham St.

You could also ask Rick from 4wd Accessories. I think he was able to get a kit from somewhere else as well.

Thanks Cambo, that give me a good idea of cost difference between the models too.

Shame that don't have the moon roof.
    Happy likes this.

Thanks Cambo, that give me a good idea of cost difference between the models too.

Shame that don't have the moon roof.
    With a grinder you can do anything
    jord likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    With a grinder you can do anything
    I have four, 2x 115mm, 1x 9" and the bench grinder.

Good advise cambo .

He is refering to number of valves not volts of electrical system just in case there was any confusion.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    kokako likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Good advise cambo .

He is refering to number of valves not volts of electrical system just in case there was any confusion.

Haha yeah got me the first time reading it. Was thinking WTF is this dude on about???!!!!

Ejected
    Anyone thought about importing one through carwebs or the like?

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Anyone thought about importing one through carwebs or the like?
    Car age import laws would stop you?

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ejected
    Car age import laws would stop you?

That's the bit that confuses me. Some older than 06 can still be brought in.

Take this one for example, just imported Toyota Land Cruiser VX LANDCRUISER MODIFIED 1992 | Trade Me and already road legel. Will have a talk to Mrs cousin who works for VINZ.

Good advise cambo .

Yeah, familiar with Toyota so figured that one.

Hmmmm. What is this rubbish about Toyotas not being affected by rust? All the ones I've seen have the stuff around the rear windows, particularly the sill, and the the windscreen. I take it that they are all 12V with parallel battery set up?

Hmmmm. What is this rubbish about Toyotas not being affected by rust? All the ones I've seen have the stuff around the rear windows, particularly the sill, and the the windscreen. I take it that they are all 12V with parallel battery set up?
    CHCh ? Probably been under water like a few times.
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..