Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: The new truck (Hilux Surf)

I just took her up the Bombays... the truck I mean.

It'll still accelerate in top gear all the way up. She's got some grunt. I'm getting a set of bull bars (just the front nudge bar, not serious ones) put on next weekend and some spotlights mounted on them too. I've already got some mud tyres sorted on separate rims. Will probably just go semi-mud tyres when I wear these road tyres out.

The old man was so impressed with it he's in the market for one now too It beats the hell out of his old '82 Datsun Navara 4x4 flat deck. That thing struggles to do 100.

Any engine will overheat if it gets too hot!

Could be a whole multitude of things that cause it: blocked rad (so flush it), leaking hose (so check em), faulty fan (so check it), water pump failure etc etc

Just keep it regularly serviced and you'll be fine. It's a Toyota after all !

Also with the likes of the 2l and 3l they are old enough now that virtually everyone of em has had a owner or a owners mate that has said "il give her a bit more poke" and upped the fueling. Which is fine in small doses But when the injectors get tired and dont spray as well or the air cleaner gets blocked or they did it in winter and now its summer,then its overfueling.
    Over fueling in a diesel can do all sorts of weird shit to an engine but the main thing is exhaust temps skyrocket. That ten year old cooling system just wont cope with the added heat of over fueling and whola cracked head or worse.
    Also as someone else said toyota temp gauges on those early ones are legendary crapola.
    Dont get this so much with the EFI models cos they are harder to fiddel with but the same applies with tired injectors air cleaner etc
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

don't skimp on a thermo or water pump. Change em regular. Cheap parts can cost loads later.

Nothing wrong with a Toyota Surf ,had a good run out of mine.
    Just had another set of tires fitted ,now running Maxis Mudders .

Think you gonna be happy with that

I just got a 1996 176000km Land Rover discovery2.5l diesel-going to change all oils and filter every 7000km religiously -Im using Q8 Oil,top end stuff fully synthetic and buying direct from them in Wellington is surprisingly cheap.The wife loves driving it as you can see
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    As per the overheating, I had all that saga with my 2.4LTE. Eventually I replaced the fan clutch, then no more troubles.

When I replaced the fan clutch, the replacement stated its service life was 80,000ks. Might explain why trouble usually arrives around 120ks. I would look at replacing the fan clutch on any of those vehicles.
    Same here with the old boys kzn130. Rimfire, thr 3.0 1kz will do heads in. Worked at toyota for a few years, sold lots of them. best thing to do is as others have said, get a tranny cooler (if auto), a decent temp gauge, if it gets warm, stop it. In my experience, its either from towing, going up steep hills, or off roading that kills them.

Keep up the servicing (takes a bit of oil PM me and i'll sort you out some good shit at a cut rate), make sure there is plenty of clean coolant, and just check everything once and a while.

If you plan on doing a fist service sort of thing, I would invest in all new filters, a trans flush, a coolant flush, and decent oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennos View Post
    Same here with the old boys kzn130. Rimfire, thr 3.0 1kz will do heads in. Worked at toyota for a few years, sold lots of them. best thing to do is as others have said, get a tranny cooler (if auto), a decent temp gauge, if it gets warm, stop it. In my experience, its either from towing, going up steep hills, or off roading that kills them.

Keep up the servicing (takes a bit of oil PM me and i'll sort you out some good shit at a cut rate), make sure there is plenty of clean coolant, and just check everything once and a while.

If you plan on doing a fist service sort of thing, I would invest in all new filters, a trans flush, a coolant flush, and decent oil.
    What is tranny cooler?

It is either a tranny on K'rd on a cold winters night or a cooler from a auto transmission
    muzr257 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    What is tranny cooler?
    Transmission Cooler.

Basically like a radiator for Automatic Transmission Fluid, or ATF

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    Awesome they are a great truck.
    Heres mine, a old photo but dont have any with the new 285/75/16 tyres, these are 265/75/16. still looks good though.
    Was a prick of a thing to find rims that fit it though!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

Seeing the Surfs have surfaced Where is the coolant drain plug on a 3ltr 1kz block?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennos View Post

Cheers mate. I'll have a chat with you next time you're up at the range (been a while since I've seen you up there). I've just serviced it myself (just basic oil filter, oil change and air filter) and it took just over 7 litres of oil. Damn!

Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    Awesome they are a great truck.
    Heres mine, a old photo but dont have any with the new 285/75/16 tyres, these are 265/75/16. still looks good though.
    Was a prick of a thing to find rims that fit it though!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Good to see you're getting yours dirty Burt. That's a nice truck. I just about got mine stuck on Saturday night because I still have the road tyres on it (I haven't picked up my mud tyres from the old man yet). That would have been embarrassing, if I had to get the farmer to come pull me out with his tractor!

Yours is an intercooled one isn't it? Originally I thought all the 3.0's were intercooled, but after looking under the hood I realised I was wrong. Mine still goes like the clappers though, for a big diesel.

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    Yea mate, mines intercooled. Was originally a non intercooled model but I bought it with a crapped out engine (only 314,000kms) and I put a intercooled engine out of a prado in it. Works well! The bonnet scoop is off a new hilux. Fitted myself.