Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: New Truck Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Dorkus View Post
    I get about 8.5L per 100km open road. 11L around town and 14L towing. Gets exponentially worse if I drive like a dick.
    The figures I quoted are averages for 6 months per fuel type, all driving conditions included. You'll probably find the V6 Hilux is not much different overall to the Subaru.

What about another Subaru - like the outback in 3.6 litre? Just not sure how great the CVT is for towing
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

Old man got a new outback with the diesel, loves the economy. No idea on towing capacity, I've got the old 3.0 petrol love it but it sure is thirsty if our heavy footed

Averaged over the last 7000km, including towing, I use 11.4L/100km
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Caretaker

New Truck Ideas

I use a 2010 Hilux 4wd d/cab and get 7.7L/100km with an even mix of town and highway use.
    Wife's 2015 gets 7.4L/100km around town.

Just over 800km for a tank

Do your own research on adding 400mils of 2-stroke oil to each tank of fuel, could be a subjective thing but it deals with moisture and adds lube for the pump etc.

Most owners are not aware there are a couple of service points for most modern Utes than can get overlooked -If you are interested in great fuel economy.

These pics apply if your Toyota has the 3 litre D4D engine.

Make sure you keep the MAP sensor filter clean, this keeps your boost in time with the throttle, restores lost boost, and also keep your airflow sensor clean to avoid horsepower loss.

First remove plastic engine cover

The MAP sensor filter is the filter centre pic with the grey base and black top, it has a gauze inside which gets filled with engine breather oil mist and slows boost response dramatically.

Use carb cleaner ONLY and spray it into the grey base intake until no more black contaminate comes out

Lightly blow with compressed air until clear of carb cleaner., reinstall.

The airflow sensor is nearly on top of the airfilter

There is no need to remove the electrical fitting, just remove the two screws and twist as you lift out, the airflow sensor looks like two wires with a resin covered resistor at the end.

Spray clean with mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner ONLY

Dont be a cheap bastard and try a home remedy, supercheap have the crc or nulon aerosol product, do it right and you will have a clean resistor with no residue on it, follow the instructions on the can.

When clean you will see the resistor is a slightly yellow colour and you can see the shiny wires inside it.

Reassemble.

Fuel usage with 40 psi in road tyres should average 7.7 litres per 100km.

Dont get me started on disabling EGR valves and the carbon they put in the inlet manifold.

Research putting a filter (catch can with filter) in the engine breather pipe so it removes the oil mist before it enters the inlet manifold (and unfortunately enables carbon buildup there )

Check every 10,000 km when you do a service and you will maintain top fuel economy.

The D4D engines like Shell Helix ultra 5W - 40 or the EGR valve cleaning Mobil Delvac MX ESP

Last edited by 7mmsaum; 03-02-2017 at 11:28 AM.
    muzr257 and 223nut like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time