Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Perfect hunting 4x4 , almost ?

Perfect hunting 4x4 , almost ?

Just saw a really neat propper 4x4 , and at a good new price of 20k , basically its a 2.5 diesel Jeep , soft top .

ONLY 2 things wrong .

I would like a hard top , so you can leave it on the street locked , you can get a hard top kit , so thats fixable .

The other is maybe impossible , its not road legal , thats the BIGGIE .

What is it , its a Mahindra Thar , Jeep from India , they are already in NZ , so I can buy one , just NOT use it .

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Yeah, Ok if you can sell it straight on to a farm, where they're pitching it as a safer alternative to quad bikes etc, but what about servicing? You still can't even drop it into the local agent without putting it on a transport trailer.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Already made

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  9.5 KB
    Timmay, Spook and blaserR8 like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Just googled them, Temuka motors, why can they not be registered?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Probably the same deal as those Suzuki farm worker trucks, can't be road registered due to not meeting safety and emissions regulations I think.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Cheers GB.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The engines are new , so it should meet emissions , its the safety they proablily donot meet , ie airbags etc .

Donot see many air bags on on Landies , just our GovT being wan$%s .

No change .

P.S. Some one show me a basic 4x4 thats brand new and under 20k , and not 50-60k , Opps , one that you are not afraid to hose the inside out .

Seen one road legal out of Temuka a month or so ago..............but I'll stick with my dirty old 'Lux any day!!

ebf
    Chris, the illogical part of your request is "4x4" and "brand new" together in the same sentence

Just buy a used Suzuki mini 4x4. Road legal, you can spend oodles on tricking it out and still be under 20K, and it will go where most full-sized trucks cant even dream on going. Plus you can thrash it from day one and never feel guilty
    big_foot likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

MSL
    The motor might be new but having looked under the bonnet, there is nothing modern about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the little Suzuki's , but they are a little small for 4 people ( for 2 they are perfect ) , where the Jeep is a bit bigger , and I mention the 20k new , NOT because I can afford it , BUT because the likes of the Defenders/Jeeps are 60k+ , and thats truelly insane .

In 4yrs time when the Thars are 2nd hand at approx 10k , at that level , I would look forward to being able to maybe afford one in say 2018 , got to have something to aim for .

http://www.mahindraauto.co.nz/

They do a road pick up that starts at $21K

They have just brought a road legal one at a station I hunt on so we will see how it lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    They have just brought a road legal one at a station I hunt on so we will see how it lasts.
    Be interesting to follow how it goes, interior etc seems to break pretty quickly but if it's always full of mud you don't care about that stuff, I'm more interested in the running gear etcand how that survives

Mahindra are the worlds largest tractor producing company. The tahr is basically a new version of the willy's jeep. They may have new fittings etc but they are very simple to work on. They are incredibly capable off-road but cant be registered in NZ on road because of their safety ratings, or lack of. Mahindra's vehicles are ugly, most people agree. Most people bag them out for being Indian. Most people also said the same thing about Kia, Hyundai & Ssanyong to name a few, before they became some of most popular vehicle makes on the road today.
    gadgetman likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.