Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Question for the diesel mechanics

northdude
    hard to diagnose without seeing it in real life start with the simple stuff first

Blue smoke and not black suggests oil in the engine, run it at say 1200rpm until its hot as long as it seems smooth and not under stress, then see.

Not going past 1500rpm could be a few things. Shellac has built up on the fuel pump piston(s) and hardened over 5 years its not allowing more diesel? or maybe sticking piston ring(s)? Stuffed injector(s)....wax / water in the fuel line or filter? (summer fuel in the tank and left for 5 winters? (do they do that in NZ?) I run my 4wd a couple of times til its hot during its winter off road holiday to try and avoid this.

As driverman says "At this stage you can expect things to get expensive"
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Blue smoke and not black suggests oil in the engine, run it at say 1200rpm until its hot as long as it seems smooth and not under stress, then see.

Not going past 1500rpm could be a few things. Shellac has built up on the fuel pump piston(s) and hardened over 5 years its not allowing more diesel? or maybe sticking piston ring(s)? Stuffed injector(s)....wax / water in the fuel line or filter? (summer fuel in the tank and left for 5 winters? (do they do that in NZ?) I run my 4wd a couple of times til its hot during its winter off road holiday to try and avoid this.

As driverman says "At this stage you can expect things to get expensive"
    Im a little worried running it in its current state.. Would it damage engine if say a piston ring was broken or a piston was stuck?

northdude
    if a piston was stuck it wouldn't turn over at all (seized) broken piston rings sometimes can scratch the bore if you got onto it straight away you can hone them up ok. without getting to far into it a compression test might show something up but if its an oil ring problem it might still have good compression. is the engine noisy other than usual diesel noises

Engine doesn't make any unusual noises.. Just coughs when you try to give it some juice

fuel filter may be blocked or air cleaner.
    Basically if its got fuel and air it should go, compression issue would be more likely to show as hard to start.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ok I'll have a look when I have a chance. Could it be something to do with the turbo? Seized?

possibly, can you hear it?

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

northdude
    could be one of many things oil can leak past the turbo seals into the exhaust or into the intake. either will cause exhaust smoke
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    possibly, can you hear it?

No, but I dont think the engine can rev enough to get the turbo spinning fast enough to make much sound

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    could be one of many things oil can leak past the turbo seals into the exhaust or into the intake. either will cause exhaust smoke
    Right, I'll spend a bit of time checking all the things you guys have suggested then I'll report on my progress

northdude
    its usualy easy to take the inlet pipe off and see if theres a lot of oil in the intake a tiny bit is probably ok in an engine with a few kays on it if you try and wobble the turbine around it might have the ever so slightest play in it bit hard to put in words just feel it with your fingures don't pry around and damage it

Have a good look at your fuel pump for leaks, the seals may have dryed out