Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 78
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Robinson helicopters - new possible rules CAA

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    987
    The two blade teetering head design is not peculiar to Robinsons.

    Among those heads I've maintained and overhauled are the Bell 206, and Hiller UH12-E and Soloy conversions.

    Others are any of the Bells, from the Bell 47 (Souix in the RNZAF), UH1-D ( Iroquois) and civil derivatives up to the 212/214, and the AH-1 Cobra......

    Mast bump is a possibility with that head design, but none of those machines mentioned fall out of the sky with the regularity of the Robinson.

    Pretty easy for Robinson to point the finger at the pilot, when for the majority of the time the poor bugger isn't around to defend himself.

    Myself and another member here had first hand experience of these POS's, we were interviewed by NZCAA as the last people to ride in a well known operator's R-66 prior to its fatal crash while returning to base after dropping us into our block. The thinking was he encountered turbulence/burble going through a high pass and the disc became unloaded, the mast bump scenario. RIP Mark.

    "Death on a budget" is how I've heard a high hours fling winger refer to them.

    I save my hard earned and pay for the 500...

    B. ( Fixer of flying objects since Feb 7, 1977 )

  2. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    385
    Most if not all operators in the Queenstown arena longer operate them. The risk to their business is too hight to have a fatal in a R44 when they have so much bad press.
    Any helicopter can have a accident. And everyday when I fly i remind myself of that.
    I consider myself a safe, cautious pilot and have flown all over the place. NZ, Canada, Papua New Guinea, Australia.
    But i consider the risk to myself goes up vastly when flying the robby. I have a lot of time in Bell helicopters also and I certainly do not have the same risk assessment compared to the Crapinson Heli.

    On a side note, if I'm Not the pilot and getting flown into the bush. h500, AS350 and thats it.
    300winmag, H&K MAN, Woody and 1 others like this.

  3. #18
    Member stug's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Canterbury
    Posts
    1,958
    A while back I made a decision to not be a passenger in a robbi, after reading all this I glad I made that decision.
    mikee and Tommy like this.

  4. #19
    Member outdoorlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    1,071
    The difference between the bell heli's etc & the Robbies is they have high inertia blades whereas the Robbies have low inertia blades which don't help. A mate used to have a Jet ranger years ago & said there was enough inertia left in the blades after doing an auto rotation to lift it up again.

    When Over the Tops one went in, the weather was apparently good so a couple of these accidents have a ? Over them
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

  5. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    385
    Also the fact Robinson does and still have blade issues.
    The modification for the dash 7 blast is fu*ked in my opinion.
    Tin snips!!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2aPqgFq3A4

    I was shocked when I saw this. This is after multiple cracks worldwide. A full recall would have been better. But nah, get the tin snips out!

  6. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    385
    Dash 7 blade I meant.
    Some of the results of the mod look bloody ugly.

  7. #22
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    10,459
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    The difference between the bell heli's etc & the Robbies is they have high inertia blades whereas the Robbies have low inertia blades which don't help. A mate used to have a Jet ranger years ago & said there was enough inertia left in the blades after doing an auto rotation to lift it up again.

    When Over the Tops one went in, the weather was apparently good so a couple of these accidents have a ? Over them
    R22 has low inertia. R44 and 66 are high inertia.


    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    outdoorlad likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  8. #23
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,322
    Well I have flown onto and off purseiners for work quite a few times but only the once in an R22 and that was enough.
    500's and Jet Rangers feel positively safe compared to a robbie
    Unfortunately most of the vessels bar one have gone to robbies due to maintenance cost and the remaining one was sold last week so I hear
    Living in the salt ontop of a boat does not in my opinion make a great living place for a helicopter full stop
    Fortunately with my change of employer I may never have too set foot on another seiner again
    sometimes and Tommy like this.
    If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

  9. #24
    Member Ryan_Songhurst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3,437
    Haven't flown in a Robbie for years, when I was at school I had a holiday job with the pest board and we baited all the little islands in the waitaki river ( how/why there are actually possums living on them is still beyond me) and we did heaps of flying in a 22, he would drop us off, we would run a bait line and then radio him to take us to the next island, I thought it was great fun, and I got paid for it, couldn't believe my luck!
    Now I'm a little older and questionably slightly wiser, you would have to pay me a shit tonne of money to fly in a Robbie

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hokitika
    Posts
    922
    Had a close call in one coming into land at 1600m once, the pilot just yelled "hold on" as we hit the ground hard then she was back up and then down just before a major drop off - I told him it was my first time in a 22, he said nearly your last ......
    Flew in one last week, just so cheap, $300 one way flight to the tops is so affordable, where if it was a 500 I suspect it would be around $600


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

  11. #26
    GSP Mad Munsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    4,736
    Flew in one last week, just so cheap, $300 one way flight to the tops is so affordable . Unfortunately they are know for the "one Way flights "
    gadgetman and H&K MAN like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  12. #27
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    10,459
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    Had a close call in one coming into land at 1600m once, the pilot just yelled "hold on" as we hit the ground hard then she was back up and then down just before a major drop off - I told him it was my first time in a 22, he said nearly your last ......
    Flew in one last week, just so cheap, $300 one way flight to the tops is so affordable, where if it was a 500 I suspect it would be around $600


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No offence mate but unless you have a midget pilot that weighs 40kgs and running only 20mins fuel an R22 is over weight with a fella as big as you in it, at sea level.
    No way would I have ever flown you with a pack and rifle up too the tussock in 1 load unless the wind was favorable.


    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  13. #28
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    15,248
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    No offence mate but unless you have a midget pilot that weighs 40kgs and running only 20mins fuel an R22 is over weight with a fella as big as you in it, at sea level.
    No way would I have ever flown you with a pack and rifle up too the tussock in 1 load unless the wind was favorable.


    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Jeepers there weight capacity is that low?
    Is that where the dragging 3 or 4 deer down a steep slope/over a bluff to get enough airspeed to lift the load came from?
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    692
    Wayne Pratt of Karamea caught/killed over 7000 deer in the early model Robbie and uses the R44. He is not dead. Phil Janssen was full time on venison recovery in an R22 for many years and is still alive.Rule of thumb is over 20knots in the R22 and you are in danger country. In the hands of a skilled pilot there is nothing wrong with the R22 including heli hunting. Just pick your pilot.

  15. #30
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    15,248
    Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Wayne Pratt of Karamea caught/killed over 7000 deer in the early model Robbie and uses the R44. He is not dead. Phil Janssen was full time on venison recovery in an R22 for many years and is still alive.Rule of thumb is over 20knots in the R22 and you are in danger country. In the hands of a skilled pilot there is nothing wrong with the R22 including heli hunting. Just pick your pilot.
    Thats pretty fucken slow for something that flys and is megabucks an hour to fly!
    Pengy likes this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 24-01-2017, 11:23 AM
  2. A Heath Robinson Tumbler for under $30
    By P38 in forum Projects and Home Builds
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-12-2016, 09:56 AM
  3. Helicopters
    By 7mmsaum in forum Off topic
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 22-02-2016, 09:12 PM
  4. East Kaweka Helicopters....Roar options
    By Scouser in forum Hunting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-11-2014, 07:14 PM
  5. Hill country helicopters
    By 199p in forum Off topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18-10-2014, 05:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!