Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Suzuki Jimny

Suzuki Jimny

Saw one today with muddies on it and decided it looked cool. Probably shit for river crossings though, right? Too light. Right?

Big enough muddies and you'll float across
    BRADS and VARTARG like this.

Yes, float across.

or

away.
    Blaser, kokako, Gibo and 1 others like this.

I would have one, one of the few proper 4wds left.

As with everything else lighter is better, only time it is bad is when trying to pull out the heavy vehicle that got stuck following you.
    VARTARG likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

yeah I like the early 2000s models with the fully manual transfer case, electric 4wd select gives me the shits

Ones I see are farm ones and in my opinion is they are abit soft
    But hey dairy guys can fuck anything
    gadgetman, Munsey, BRADS and 1 others like this.

ive got one, 2003/4 shape. auto trans but manual 4wd hi/low selection. Also, solid front and rear axles

Goes a lot of places with mud tyres on! I managed to find some maxxis trepadors fitted for just over 1000$ in the standard tyre size. I don't think unless you intend on spending a lot of money on suspension and then of course breaking diffs etc, to fit larger tyres.

Mine weighs just over the tonne

get about 7-8 litres per 100km on the open road, they don't have a huge amount of torque but they always get you there in one piece. youll want the twin cam motor though, not the older single cam one

for 1-2 people they are excellent

I fitted a LED light bar, 24 inches long. perfect for driving bush tracks at night
    VARTARG likes this.
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    ive got one, 2003/4 shape. auto trans but manual 4wd hi/low selection. Also, solid front and rear axles

Goes a lot of places with mud tyres on! I managed to find some maxxis trepadors fitted for just over 1000$ in the standard tyre size. I don't think unless you intend on spending a lot of money on suspension and then of course breaking diffs etc, to fit larger tyres.

Mine weighs just over the tonne

get about 7-8 litres per 100km on the open road, they don't have a huge amount of torque but they always get you there in one piece. youll want the twin cam motor though, not the older single cam one

for 1-2 people they are excellent

I fitted a LED light bar, 24 inches long. perfect for driving bush tracks at night
    Taken it through many rivers?

They float, you don't want them in something with a real current. They have even smaller front CV's that the SJ413s too.

Caretaker
    Used one guiding, had proper lil directional tractor tyres on it, they were bad for punctures in the central North Island high country.

Nearly always had 4 guys and gear in it, had front mounted racks for carrying deer, which blocked your headlights at night, and a roof rack which coated the windscreen in blood when used.

Very low on power, climbed well, rarely got stuck, well, except when I had 300winmag and his mate in it !!!!!!!

Thirsty on gas when the go pedal stays mashed on the floor all day

Was warm to travel in compared to a side by side and was quiet for sneaking up on those farm trophies

Would I buy one ? Never

I'd get something slightly bigger, like a Hilux
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 27-05-2015 at 12:00 AM.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

The old wagon, in for repairs circa 2008

Name:  tinfoil.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  90.2 KB
    gimp, veitnamcam, Munsey and 2 others like this.

What year did they go to the push button 4wd?

I have a good Surf, just had some 4wd issues this week (stemming from a mechanic not reassembling my hubs correctly) and got to looking at other options, wouldn't mind something a bit newer and lower k's with full manual everything, beam axle etc. There aren't a lot of options around and I don't want to spend the money you need to drop for a low k's 70 Series or LN106

Also, you just know that any Cruiser/Surf/Hilux has been up a few rivers etc, whereas a Jimny unless already modded has probably only ever been driven to the shops by a woman in her 30's doing the shopping.
    veitnamcam, Pointer and Munsey like this.

Think push button transfer came in 2006ish. As you clearly know as soon as you look for something with a front beam axle the choice decrease rapidly.
    If you are going to be doing long km's, bouncing up rocky creeks and crossing big rivers find something else.
    I know most people laugh when I say this but I think the old shape kia sportage are great value for money and a hell of a lot stronger and capable that people will admit too.

And no one steals a sportage
    7mmsaum likes this.