Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By Pengy
  • 2 Post By Gerbs

Thread: SWB 2.5l Pajero ..any good for cheap hack?

SWB 2.5l Pajero ..any good for cheap hack?

Been looking at a 1991 2.5l SWB pajero, 219000km, body reasonable tidy, cambelt and steering joints all recently done. Serviced and new WOF Seems to go ok, just gutless like you expect from a 2.5l diesel. Manuel, series 2, cheap as chips. Is it worth a go as a hunting hack?

Like anything else if the price is right....
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I have recently acquired a 2.8 Pajero. has done big K's, Been drowned twice in the Ashburton River ( done 50,oookms since)
    Auto, center diff lock and rear diff lock. I like it alot, in fact my brother will have to be really nice to me in order to get it back.
    Personally I think Pajeros are really under rated as a 4x4.
    We have had a 2.8 Pajero previous to our current BT50. my brother loaned me his SWB 2.8 I mentioned above and he also has 2 of the LWD Paj's (a 2008 and a 2014 model)

if is cheap what is too loose, if its a bit gutless you will learn to be a Nana on the road

Mine does have a wee habit of being a little indecisive in choosing what gear it really wants occasionally though. Must be a girl truck!!
    Last edited by mikee; 19-09-2016 at 09:47 PM. Reason: added text
    Munsey, mucko, Pengy and 1 others like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Good solid platform, the 2.5 can blow a bit of smoke when it gets a bit long in the tooth. But if it is in good condition it will plug away for years if you treat it right. The slightly newer 2.8 engine has more power and potentially better reliability.
    Personally not a fan of them but They are more than capable as a 4WD platform. Apparently they have the strongest IFS suspension for vehicles of that era.
    Worth the gamble if the price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I have recently acquired a 2.8 Pajero. has done big K's, Been drowned twice in the Ashburton River ( done 50,oookms since)
    Auto, center diff lock and rear diff lock. I like it alot, in fact my brother will have to be really nice to me in order to get it back.
    Personally I think Pajeros are really under rated as a 4x4.
    We have had a 2.8 Pajero previous to our current BT50. my brother loaned me his SWB 2.8 I mentioned above and he also has 2 of the LWD Paj's (a 2008 and a 2014 model)

if is cheap what is too loose, if its a bit gutless you will learn to be a Nana on the road

Mine does have a wee habit of being a little indecisive in choosing what gear it really wants occasionally though. Must be a girl truck!!
    Possibly wants a tranny flush?
    mikee likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    Been looking at a 1991 2.5l SWB pajero, 219000km, body reasonable tidy, cambelt and steering joints all recently done. Serviced and new WOF Seems to go ok, just gutless like you expect from a 2.5l diesel. Manuel, series 2, cheap as chips. Is it worth a go as a hunting hack?

You know it wont be there long at the price.
    deer243 likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Some people swear buy them a lot of people swear at them but really its like any truck you either get a good run out of them or you don't

northdude
    they would be one of the better ones out there i had one for ages they were never desighned to be a race car youl find it fine for slowly crawling along in the bush

Had a 2.5 LWB on our farm.
    That thing was used. Thrashed. Utterly trashed.
    Always started first pop, got drowned numerous times, filthy inside and out.
    Starter motor eventually gave out. Used to use the tractor tto PUSH (not tow!) start it.

Ended up giving it away to some guys that stopped in randomly and wanted it for parts. Gave it a push with the tractor (after sitting for a year) and started right away.
    Blokes ended up driving it home!

Its a truck engine. Not known for power, but will put up with nearly anything!
    mikee and WallyR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Possibly wants a tranny flush?
    That would double its value!!! God help me when it needs tires
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Old man has a 2.8 lwb goes bloody well and done high ks , would recommend the 2.8 as it leaves my 2.7 nissan for dead

They're reliable in terms of the engine, but make sure the clutch is okay. they're not huge on grunt and the clutch tends to be ridden a bit. Good luck Mate.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Long story short.....we (243deer & I) got shafted on the deal by the seller and a young late comer
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

northdude
    Cheap 4wd are very sought after

we have the 92 3ltr manual apart blowing smoke it goes well on and off the road.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/