Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alcesgigas

Thread: Toyota 2.4l Turbo Diesel

Toyota 2.4l Turbo Diesel

How bad are they? I've heard of problems with cracking heads etc, thoughts?

If its not cracked before you by it and you dont over heat it should be fine.
    Replace temp gauge and sender,they dont work.

Same as any other vehicle if its been looked after should be good.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

If it's not cracked you should be fine, they need a bigger exhaust from the turbo back - if it hasn't got one that'd be the first thing to do

And temp gauge and sender as above
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

I modded the temperature gauge on my last one and you can definitely see the difference. The gauge would actually move all the time showing you any small changes to temperature. Temp Gauge Mod

Had mine for 10yr now 87 model surf. Added a set of mud slingers ,snorkle ,tough deck nothing major gone wrong.
    High /low ratio box in 2 & 4wd bloody works great.Don't need to get out in the mud ,rain to lock hubs either
    Gonna trade up to a 3l soon ,bit more room & power /torque but manual 5 speed.
    Gun control means using both hands

I know people all over the place go on about them cracking heads, and some of the guys on here had me pretty concerned when I bought my 3.0, but the sheer number of these trucks still on the road has to be a bit of a testament to how well they last.

Based on what everyone said to me on here when I got mine the biggest thing is to not let them get hot.

I've only had mine for a little bit but I've done 20,000kms on my 3.0 since I got it with no issues. My old mans 3.0 is fine, and his old 2.4 he had before that was still going strong when he sold it. And if all turns to shit... it's a hilux engine. You know how many of those are around

Turd of an engine! They all came cracked from the factory!! The non turbo 2L was good but it would not pull the skin off a rice pudding.

They crack between the valve seats, I've seen the crack open so far that the seat insert falls out of the head.
    Last edited by kokako; 25-11-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    I know people all over the place go on about them cracking heads, and some of the guys on here had me pretty concerned when I bought my 3.0, but the sheer number of these trucks still on the road has to be a bit of a testament to how well they last.

Based on what everyone said to me on here when I got mine the biggest thing is to not let them get hot.

I've only had mine for a little bit but I've done 20,000kms on my 3.0 since I got it with no issues. My old mans 3.0 is fine, and his old 2.4 he had before that was still going strong when he sold it. And if all turns to shit... it's a hilux engine. You know how many of those are around
    Good luck trying to find any Hilux engines or parts. Shit loads of them are being stolen and striped for parts that end up in the Middle East. Must be replacement parts for the Hilux anti aircraft guns and rocket launchers we all see on the news.

Quote Originally Posted by kokako View Post
    Turd of an engine! They all came cracked from the factory!! The non turbo 2L was good but it would not pull the skin off a rice pudding.

They crack between the valve seats, I've seen the crack open so far that the seat insert falls out of the head.
    Yup. A turd alright!
    I'd rather have a Mitsy than a 2L-TE.

We've seen so many through work and even the good ones are crap.They are so gut less you have to keep the noise pedal hard down just to go anywhere and because of this, the EGT's get so hot the heads crack and pistons melt.
    Hey there's always things you can do to improve a turd though. Exhaust, EGT guage, new rad, fan, intercooler, etc - but it's still a turd.
    MythBusters: Polishing a Turd MiniMyth : Video : Discovery Channel

I say let the rag heads have the bloody things!
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Ive had about 4 or 5 of them I think. Only one that I had a problem with the valve seat shattered. Never had one overheated. Dad has had his from 80,000km to 450,000km and never overheated one. He missed one oil change though at around 300,000 and ran a bearing.

Currently got the 1kz version which most people think overheats even worse. Mine gets oil, filter, and anti freeze every 5,000 km and its mint. Ive also got 2 of the 3l's in a couple of my work vans, one has 400,000 and the other 360,000. One started overheating, turned out to be a crack in the thermostat housing. $135 later and shes mint. Done 8,000 kms in it the last 8 weeks.

I have seen a lot of them blow when I was a mechanic, but they were always miss treated. A guy like you will have no problems seeing things that need doing.

Chris

SiB
    I owned a 2.4 turbo - fitted a larger bore exhaust which helped heaps - and gave me a tad more power.
    Good luck!

My dream ATV better not be related to those turbo diesels you fellas are chatting on; but skin puddings, milk puddings, and "toughen up townie?" Meaning no disrespect, but I have to tell you this forum is the nuts; keeps me in stitches so's I wet me britches! Where have I been? Well here's the new build and me new hunt partner--and I'll toss in the wimpy squirrel gun for your perusal...Name:  discussing scope mount on new build.jpg
Views: 2227
Size:  121.1 KBName:  desired new partner.jpg
Views: 2374
Size:  115.6 KBName:  NEW BUILD.jpg
Views: 2495
Size:  326.9 KB
    veitnamcam likes this.

ive got a 91 2.4 had for two years with no problems, first thing i did was thermostat and larger pipe from turbo back,and added a electronic fan,
    treat it good and it will look after you,