Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By JoshC
  • 1 Post By Dundee
  • 1 Post By cambo
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By madmaori

Thread: Tyre pressure

Tyre pressure

Opinions please.
    I have a Mitsi challenger that is sitting on Maxxis Bravo 751 tyres. They are 255/70/16.
    I only just got the vehicle, and to be safe, had one tyre replaced and the workshop did rotation and balance at same time.
    The handbook states 26 psi for normal use. the sticker on the door shut says the same.
    The guy in the workshop insists they should be run at 36psi or they will wear on shoulders and car will be too soft in the corners.
    Car will spend majority of its life on tarseal while I own it, with occasional hunting trips involving gravel etc.
    What do you experienced people think ?
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Funny, I've just had this conversation with some tyre guys. I've always run 32-36psi, and have an onboard compressor for altering pressures during dodgy off road excursions (which makes a huge difference!) etc.

HOWEVER, just replaced a couple of tyres on my Landcruiser after running over a set of harrows in long grass last week (waste of $900 = ouch), and the guys I bought the tyres thru recommend I run them at 40psi on road to get the best wear/life out of them. Going to try it anyway.

Also just replaced a full set on the G6e, so an expensive tyre week for old JoshC and family!!!
    veitnamcam likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Run my 80 series 38 front 36 rear on seal..

B

Agree, 38 front, 36 rear (unless you put gear/passengers in the back, at which point up to 40/42psi)

Manufacturers always go low on pressure by several psi

@madmaori is your tyre man.
    madmaori likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Yup 34-36psi for road driving.
    Anything less will make the vehicle roll about like a beached whale.
    Some tyres do like more in them like JoshC has found out.
    Best way to see is look on the sidewall of the tyre and read the max pressure. Inflate tyre to a few PSI under max.
    Normal driving we allow approx 4psi change from cold to operating temp.
    gadgetman likes this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Yup 34-36psi for road driving.
    Anything less will make the vehicle roll about like a beached whale.
    Some tyres do like more in them like JoshC has found out.
    Best way to see is look on the sidewall of the tyre and read the max pressure. Inflate tyre to a few PSI under max.
    Normal driving we allow approx 4psi change from cold to operating temp.
    +1

Was told by importer that newer tyres run at higher pressure. Ran the Safari on 42psi in 32's and the tryes wore extremely evenly.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Run mine on my 80 series 45 on road down as low as 5 if right up shit creek but usually drop to 15 ish off road.

virtually any 4wd tire should be 35 minimum on road, better handeling/less wear/better fuel economy from higher pressures, however over doing it will severely affect ride and traction.

Pretty much all car sales yards let the tires down till they just start to bag (bulge sidewall) oldest trick in the book to improve ride and make quieter, also makes vehicles use shit loads of fuel, wear tires fast ,strain powersteering and handel like a shopping trolly with one seized wheel and overloaded with two of your drunk mates in it.
    cambo likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

northdude
    35 to 40 will be good

I think you are on the right track JoshC - with the pressure - not the harrows
    I just put the 3rd set of tyres on my 90 series cruiser - always used Dunlop AT20 Grandtrek 275 70R16
    First set did 55k - second set did 85k - all highway use
    Previously have run them at 36PSI front and back - tyre dealer told me this time to run them at 40PSI front and back

Heya Pengy I wouldn't be running any 4x4 tyre on anything less then 34psi,a lot of tyres are built differently and some can really give the shoulders a hard time if you run them to low which can cost a lot of $!!in you're challenger I'd be running a minimum of 36 depending on loads etc that you'll be carrying,hope this helps
    Pengy likes this.