Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: what 4x4 mut tyres are you using?

what 4x4 mut tyres are you using?

im in need of some new mud tyres for my ute, anyone running kuhmo kl71s or maxxis bighorns? how are they for wear? i was looking at those as theyre not too badly priced or any others that are good and not too expensive. i do alot of offroading, rivers, mud, clay, rocks so i need something hardy

I put Achilles desert hawk xmt on my safari recently, 15 inch rims, 33's. Have good sidewall tread to stop rocks cutting.They have been really good in my view off road and on. A little roadnoise but muddys do that. 370 dollars each fitted at my local tyreland. Service there was excellent too.
    Ya can't park there mate.

Maxxis you can't beat them for value and the amount of kms you get out of them.
    Gibo likes this.

been running bighorns in a 33 12.5 good tyre get lots of road use as it my daily driver got about 50km out of a set

BFG
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Mickey Thompsons MTZ Baja 33" on my landcruiser, flipping excelent grip and low road noise.
    JoshC likes this.

Maxxis trepador, so far great in mud grass and gravel. Not much more noise than my old roadctyres but alot more grip too
    #BallisticFists

I run 35in bfgs on my cruiser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    I run 35in bfgs on my cruiser

How do you find the gearing and brakes? Mine is on 33s and has enough grunt but brakes are not too flash with a trailer on.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    How do you find the gearing and brakes? Mine is on 33s and has enough grunt but brakes are not too flash with a trailer on.
    Gearing is all good mate, I had 33in bfgs but the looked dick with my lift, it still goes real good with aftermarket turbo, intercooler, aftermarket air box and 3in exh, fuel economy is 14-15L per 100km with 35s, only .5L more than with 33s

veitnamcam likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Brakes are shit lol just got to be aware of it

veitnamcam likes this.

I was a fan of the maxxis buckshot mudders until I got some of the bighorns (764). They aren't as loud as the buckshots. Grip send to be pretty good. Only had them for a few kms
    kokako likes this.
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Got KL-31's on a 2010 Ranger. Done about 15,000km and they are about half worn. Got older pattern 33" BFG M/T's on my Wrangler and done 40,000 and they are only half worn.

I have 15" Hancock dynapro MTs. Cheap and wear exceptionally well. A lot of the forestry guys run them and they do a lot of fast kms on gravel. Seem to go the distance well.
    I have never had them in serious mud though so can't really comment on thier performance in that regard.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I have 15" Hancock dynapro MTs. Cheap and wear exceptionally well. A lot of the forestry guys run them and they do a lot of fast kms on gravel. Seem to go the distance well.
    I have never had them in serious mud though so can't really comment on thier performance in that regard.
    I've had great wear out of Hancook, about 100,000 out of AT's. The Mudstars were great off road and were down about 4mm after 45,000 km; if you find them let me know. Mate has KL71's on his ute and they are wearing very fast and aquaplane really badly above 60km/h in even the slightest surface water.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!