Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Wof

Wof

Got a Wof for my boat trailer 12 mths . That's a long time considering how wheel bearings are a consumable around salt water .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Got a Wof for my boat trailer 12 mths . That's a long time considering how wheel bearings are a consumable around salt water .
    Heard bearing buddy's are the go?
    Got thrm on my trailer.
    Just got a warrant for the boat trailer as well but it's new as, so should be good.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    bearing buddies are definitely worth the investment, also after a long trip ,let your bearings cool down before lunching if possible.
    sako75 likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Interesting, mine have not been done for quite a while.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Mine haven't been done in 10 yrs, those bearing buddies are good! Just top em up
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

You think that's bad, you should see how much a front line cop car goes through, probably should have a WOF every month or two.

In regards to bearing buddies, can't you just chuck a grease nipple in the normal cap?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    You think that's bad, you should see how much a front line cop car goes through, probably should have a WOF every month or two.

In regards to bearing buddies, can't you just chuck a grease nipple in the normal cap?
    short answer no.
    bearing buddys hold a reserve of grease under spring pressure so can move with contraction and expansion of heat and keep the bearings and cavity full of grease.
    If bearings and cavity are properly packed and buddy topped up when it needs it water CANNOT get in.

I have had warrants on vehicles with collapsed wheel bearings, flick to high beam and all lights go out, no rear brakes, broken chassis , the list goes on.
    All of the Iabove knew the faults before taking it for testing and of course fixed it at earliest opportunity.

warrants are a joke, most other countrys don't have them its on the owner to make sure vehicles are safe.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Cheers, I just assumed they were a fancy cap with a grease nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Mine haven't been done in 10 yrs, those bearing buddies are good! Just top em up
    Mine ain't been done in the 5 years I have had the boat, must get some of them bearing buddy things one day.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Cheers, I just assumed they were a fancy cap with a grease nipple.
    That's exactly what I thought also. Maybe I should see if there are some to fit my trailer
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

My 2 cents, if it helps-

For sure get Bearing buddies, from TWL or supercheap- take your bearing caps off temporarily, and in to shop with you- different sizes;- follow instructions on the pkt.- try a lot to use the same grease-if you are not sure clean repack and reset hub bearings- or get trusted engineer/mechanic to do it.

Choose a good grease for the specific load/application- phone couple of oil company's tech lines if you want- sometimes the shop people do Not know.

Keep the original caps with you for when someone steals yours off the trailer when it is unattended. Cable tie in a small box or plastic bags somewhere discreet on trailer=to find again. Might never happen-better than wheel falling off on way home though.

When using our tandem trailer -will jack up and check every 800-1200 km or every 5-6 months whichever is sooner- and if more off highway than on will check more often. And clean change check reset every second cycle.

Plus 1 to letting them cool a bit before launching if you can;-set up the gear- organize the vehicle-have a smoke or a drink - generally just not straight in after a fast trip to the ramp.

So far, with balanced wheels, reasonable quality bearings no trouble in 20 years.Before then cost me more.

Enjoy your boat.
    Last edited by Reliable; 15-11-2014 at 02:27 AM.

It's always the seal at the back that lets in water , I figured that bearing buddies will not stop that ? .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

It's always the seal at the back that lets in water , I figured that bearing buddies will not stop that ? .
    They will if properly packed, full of grease there is no space for water and its under light pressure as well, if seal is damaged or worn grease will come out letting you know.

Munsey and Spudattack like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    And if you're fitting Buddies on axles that haven't had them before, ensure there are no seals on both sides of your outer bearings, and the inside of your inner bearings.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    short answer no.
    bearing buddys hold a reserve of grease under spring pressure so can move with contraction and expansion of heat and keep the bearings and cavity full of grease.
    If bearings and cavity are properly packed and buddy topped up when it needs it water CANNOT get in.

I have had warrants on vehicles with collapsed wheel bearings, flick to high beam and all lights go out, no rear brakes, broken chassis , the list goes on.
    All of the Iabove knew the faults before taking it for testing and of course fixed it at earliest opportunity.

warrants are a joke, most other countrys don't have them its on the owner to make sure vehicles are safe.

Cam, I agree with you. Some workshops and testing stations should have their WOF authority revoked as they are unable to perform a correct inspection.

New Zealand will still need to have some sort of safety inspection for vehicles as some owners are unable to keep their vehicles in a road worthy condition. Tyres would be the most common fault. I have seen some strange shit ofer the years, one that comes to mind was gearbox cross member made from a pine 4"x2" on a vehicle that had an engine and trans swap (this was pre certification) Capri IIRC?
    veitnamcam likes this.