Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: XR650R

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Finally got used to riding my work quad and got my DRZ400 tuned and sorted and it feels utterly anaemic. Its just so tiny. Everyone says "good luck its so heavy" about those big bikes but I can roll the quad back on its wheels. Heavier than a big two wheeler I suspect.

I'm 6'4" tall, mostly leg and I feel like a dog trying to hump a tennis ball on the DRZ even with the handlebars raised. Same with quad, handlebars are so low.

Which one of those big four strokes suits a full sized human? I never sit down.
    I've got a KLX 650 and it would probably suit you with a bar raiser installed - can be had for around 3k secondhand occasionally - single thumper strong torque could be dual purpose easily if that's your bag
    If you stand a lot wide pegs are good

Caretaker
    You still using the DR Tussock ?
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Finally got used to riding my work quad and got my DRZ400 tuned and sorted and it feels utterly anaemic. Its just so tiny. Everyone says "good luck its so heavy" about those big bikes but I can roll the quad back on its wheels. Heavier than a big two wheeler I suspect.

I'm 6'4" tall, mostly leg and I feel like a dog trying to hump a tennis ball on the DRZ even with the handlebars raised. Same with quad, handlebars are so low.

Which one of those big four strokes suits a full sized human? I never sit down.
    Haha- I'm 6'4 and a little bit.

Sat on the DR and yip feels like a pit bike.

I ended up on the 690 r - still fitted bar risers but it's a heap better.

Caretaker
    Just given the wee XR a tidy up for this winters hunting

Anyone else using two wheels to cover the ground ?

Name:  78CB06AA-08C8-46DB-9BF2-0AEEC5FA2ABA.jpeg
Views: 258
Size:  5.05 MB

Name:  BE9ED30C-DE25-4E1A-B951-B7F1D5CEB229.jpeg
Views: 256
Size:  4.78 MB

This is classic, I only ride it once.
    For me if I choose a bike for hunting and fishing, I will use CRF250 since this will give more maneuverability over the hills, but CRF is loud too, too loud. The Yamaha tricker or Tw200 is much much quiet, but it would `nt suit you gents since I guess you all are above 180cm, weight over 180 lbs
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Name:  E675B57D-48B3-4E2D-B825-F2A5964BEB68.jpeg
Views: 230
Size:  4.42 MB
    Absolutely, nothing covers the ground quicker and living in the CNI I’m spoilt for choices.
    7mmsaum, Savage1, rugerman and 2 others like this.

Actually that's not true , this ones not as fast top speed wise but covers the ground quicker , only problem is ol mate that's pointing at the Piwakawaka can't come . Neither are quiet but like a Heli the noise soon clears out and your in the next gully/watershed before anyone knows, way less presence than a quad/sxs in the back country and you cover three to four times more ground easily.Name:  IMG_5372.jpeg
Views: 179
Size:  999.2 KB
    outlander likes this.

2 strokes rule

Shot more than one donk from the seat of the ol 2 smoker, just tractoring along all quiet like

Name:  2 stroke forever!.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  171.9 KB

Got an 86 XR 100 and an 88 XR 200 in the shed. The 100 was my late Grandfathers Les’s farm bike, we did it up and gave it some love.
    Love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum, 300Shortmag and jusepy81 like this.
    Dan M

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    2 strokes rule

Shot more than one donk from the seat of the ol 2 smoker, just tractoring along all quiet like

Attachment 223408

2 smokes can be quiet at low rpm, torque is king

Sherco 290

Name:  104EA77E-AC4D-4E5A-B74B-F32F504199CF.jpeg
Views: 179
Size:  7.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    2 strokes rule

Attachment 223408
    Yep, two strokes rule.
    300CALMAN and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Yep, two strokes rule.
    That bike is now nudging 600 hours, with only one piston/ring change at 250 hours. No important spinny roundy things changed other than tyres/pads/wheel bearings. has to be THE cheapest most fun 2 wheeler I have ever owned.

And just had a quote from the shop for a full engine rebuild........under 2K

See how far 2K gets you with a modern 2 wheeler 4 stroke engine rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    2 smokes can be quiet at low rpm, torque is king

Sherco 290

Attachment 223454
    What happened to the seat!?
    7mmsaum likes this.

take it easy on the four strokes fellas , I've ridden and raced bikes for along time now and continue to do so. The four strokes are reliable if you look after them, the 530 is a 2010 and has done 300 hrs on original piston and still goes like a champ, its raced national enduro rounds , did the one big day adventure ride around here a couple of summers ago 750kms in a day, done two Husqvarna hard enduros and countless others. On the gps with the stock gearing it'll hit 162 in 6th on shingle wide open , if I wasn't such lump it'd go even faster with smaller rear sprocket. The 450 is almost at 100 hours and on original piston and I just sold a 2016.5 450sxfe that had 202 hours on original piston. Hard part fan kits with a manual switch and plenty of oil/filter changes and they're good to go. The fuel injected bikes run so well and the your speed comes from carrying a higher gear rather than revving the tits off your bike.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by 300Shortmag View Post
    take it easy on the four strokes fellas , I've ridden and raced bikes for along time now and continue to do so. The four strokes are reliable if you look after them, the 530 is a 2010 and has done 300 hrs on original piston and still goes like a champ, its raced national enduro rounds , did the one big day adventure ride around here a couple of summers ago 750kms in a day, done two Husqvarna hard enduros and countless others. On the gps with the stock gearing it'll hit 162 in 6th on shingle wide open , if I wasn't such lump it'd go even faster with smaller rear sprocket. The 450 is almost at 100 hours and on original piston and I just sold a 2016.5 450sxfe that had 202 hours on original piston. Hard part fan kits with a manual switch and plenty of oil/filter changes and they're good to go. The fuel injected bikes run so well and the your speed comes from carrying a higher gear rather than revving the tits off your bike.

50 years of motorbikes for me, and still enjoying them

Name:  AEE512E4-F8AE-48B3-91E4-9EAA49EFA61F.jpeg
Views: 99
Size:  873.4 KB