Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Dog biscuits...

Dog biscuits...

Just for the fun of it, I go to the supermarket and study the inane packaging of dog food products...Purina Tux brand of 2.2kg biscuits labelled as KiwiGrill...what an oxymoron...with all the hooplah over kiwi bird adversion training; how we should be all green and sensitive to everything except mung beans and tofu, blah blah blah and here is KiwiGrill...and I just love the description 'baked in great tasting goodness'...who eats them to know that they are great tasting!! Oh and why 2.2kg...whats with that?...its a bit like that burger franchise...we are proud to use canola oil...how much endorsement dosh do they get from Monsanto for that, I ask??
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Everything in perspective... You don't go to McDonalds for a salad anymore than you go to a whorehouse for a hug!
    Chris likes this.

I personally won't feed Tux or Purina to my dog/s both have the same effect with spools becoming very loose over time of a couple of weeks usually.Can't expect a dog to perform well with that going on & probably an irritated digestive as a result. Some dog rolls have similar effect so they get black listed too .This is what I found works for me ,different dogs may be fine with these products .
    I now feeding Nutri-plus which seems to keep my dog in good condition without any problems, energy levels are good as is performance in field.

Every day I give my GWP "high energy" biscuits. And everyday when I take her for a walk, I question my own sanity. I ask myself, who the hell would want to give a GWP more energy?
    EeeBees and Dougie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Every day I give my GWP "high energy" biscuits. And everyday when I take her for a walk, I question my own sanity. I ask myself, who the hell would want to give a GWP more energy?
    LOL

I feed Purina Dog Chow mainly... find Tux to be mainly filler. Dog's work well on the diet we give them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    Everything in perspective... You don't go to McDonalds for a salad anymore than you go to a whorehouse for a hug!
    Ruff, as I have never been to either of the establishments you refer to, I cannot really appreciate your analogy

And, no, I do not feed my guys Tux either...the eye of a needle springs to mind
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

tux and mutton........ standard diet for thousands of working dogs for years.

since purina now own tux the price of it has made it just as cheap to use other brands....... mighty mix for instance.
    Pointer likes this.

I think you would do well to feed your dogs home cooked meals -kidney,heart,chicken mince and vegies
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

I am a cross between the Ruff diet and the Kawhia diet. Purina dog chow in the largest sacks possible, with mutton to supplement. If one needs the extra condition I give them a frozen coon now and then, skinned and hocked

sturg4
    Mine get fish heads mixed with all the veg peelings a good lump off pumkin and a cabbage out of the garden. I cook it all up in a cauldren and add a couple of handfulls of rice and porridge. They are labs and they love it, they get two spoonfuls morning noon and night and they get biscuits as well Tux. About twice a week they get raw fish in the form of fish heads or a sand shark or two and they get all of the offcuts and the fish skins.
    Coon is the best food I have ever found for dogs, I supplied a few of the stations I trapped on, with possums for their dogs. These skinny hardworking dogs would be as sleek as seals by the end of the winter.

About removing the hocks off a coon...I have always done it..But at the end of one winter I froze down about 100 possums. I carefully cut all the hocks off before I put them in the freezer and they made quite a pile as you can imagine. Then I went inside and forgot about them..Later when I came out the Lab was just tiding up the last of them. Bless her cast iron guts.

I was telling a Maori guy who fishes on the rock below home a while ago that I had fish heads cooking on the stove for the dogs...He Said... Sheesh! you must have rich dogs I cant even afford fish heads for myself.

My current young lab when she was very much a young pup picked up a piece of bait on the beach below the house..It had about a number 5 hook in it and a couple of feet by the look of it of 40- 60 lb nylon attached. I caught the end of the nylon but it was to late the hook had gone down her thoat so I let it go. Everyone said I had better take her to the vet but I have a lot of faith in a labs digestive system. I packed this pups belly with as many venison bones as it could hold for a week. You know I studied every dropping that that pup produced for a long time and I never did see a trace of that hook or trace again.
    Last edited by Scribe; 06-08-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Fish , a food for the wealthy for sure I here the Maori bloke gripe! Anyone tried that frozen tucker Mighty mix -I have but a long time ago , whats your thoughts
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Yikes scribe, your dog sounds like a legend!

My old Collie (RIP Mate, lovely wee farm dog) had mutton and Tux as a religious diet. The pup now gets Golden Boy dog roll and some dry food in the mornings, I am unsure of the name off the top of my head. Also he gets as many rabbits and hares that I can manage to shoot And yes Dundee I continued my woosy attitude and did skin and gut that last hare for him hahaha I don't fancy having guts and tufts of fur on my posh Wellington padio!!!

...ah, I miss the farm down south
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I get frozen mince for my gsps , nicks pet food in sock burn ch ch $2 kg combo of horse, beef,and heart . It's called greyhound mix it's the only food that my dogs do well on . Cheep as and they look great and they love it . If anyone in chch wants some pm me I'll hook you up . 25 kgs frozen into blocks . $50 also brisket bones 25 kg $15. Only other food is mighty mix but you have to feed twice the amount they say on there website is good though.

Its scarey when the dog swallows a fish hook Scribe ,use to take Kai my previous lab fishing with me .Where over on the rock fishing & had just re-baited my hooks .Dropped it & picked up the rod to cast.The dog picked up the newly baited hook & swallowed it then froze .He knew he'd just made a big mistake .I got my mate to hold his head & slowly pulled the hook back out ,must of been well down as seemed to take forever.We got the hook out with pointy bit still tucked neatly inside the bait.Kai spent the rest on the trip 20m up the rock on a lay down stay .

My current dog gets a supply of dogs treats but then I work for Farm Meats & that's what we do .
    Producing Dog Treats for local & export markets.