Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Intersting dog books

Plenty of books out there on breeds ,training and dog psychology -who has read some and can give some good recommendations for a few .
    Ill start with Leon Mortensons Book as reviewed by Frank Tommy Olsen who has the print rights to the book .I have this book and it is a good read of Leon's breeding history, practices and thoughts about Setters.
    I also have read Derry Argue's Book Pointers and Setters which I will review myself but I read it so long ago I need to re-read it to do it justice --when I can find it that is !!

Bird Dogs
    Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow
    by Dr Leon Mortensen

This book, written by a gentleman of the bird dog sport, was published a few months before his death in January 2004.
    Through the book the author has left an open and honest document of his life with bird dogs, with stories, qualified
    opinions and reflections.

Dr Leon Mortensen was probably the greatest personality of the gundog world downunder. He had more than fifty years
    experience hunting and training bird dogs, and almost as long field trialing and as a breeder.
    His abilities as a trainer were reflected in the absolute class his dogs displayed in trials.
    As a breeder he combined theory and practice better than anyone. His home work was solid. Everything was checked
    and double-checked. He knew exactly what he wanted to achieve and was completely pragmatic about it.

The doctor hunted more than most people, shot thousands of birds over pointing gundogs and trained and handled a
    number of topdogs. He bred approximately thirty litters (English setters, Irish setters and also pointers with his wife Joy),
    successfully bred thoroughbred horses and had a great insight into animal breeding in general (and delivered more
    than 500 babies!).
    He visited various field trials abroad both as judge and spectator, and he read about and studied the subjects of
    breeding and bird dogs. In Leon Mortensen, theory and practice reached a new dimension. He understood the
    principles of genetics in the smallest mathematical detail, while at the same time he had practical experience and an eye
    for talent and traits.

The entire book is interesting - a huge enthusiast freely sharing his thoughts with the reader. Some of the chapters are
    exceptional, in particular those entitled "Getting started", "Breeding" and "Trials". In these chapters he deals with some
    myths, truths and complete un-truths. He gives both praise and criticism, both to living and dead personas. He also talks
    about and gives his views on the trial systems of Norway, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, USA and Italy. He portrays the
    reality with great insight.

In a chapter called "Dogs I have won with", he describes 9 different dogs among those he has trained and handled to
    success. Some of them were bred by himself, some bred by others, including imports. Pedantic as the doctor was, he
    had accurate journals about every dog he had in his hands, from puppy to top trial dog. Through the entire book he
    shares anecdotes and interesting notes mixed with hard facts. Many entertaining hunting stories are also included.

Through nearly two hundred pages the reader is presented with an eventful and interesting life, passionately dedicated
    to working towards better bird dogs. I dare say that anyone who shares this same interest at any level will get great
    pleasure from the book. In particular, anyone with aspirations as a breeder should take time to enjoy the 19 pages in the
    chapter about breeding.

Leon Mortensen always practised what others often talk about, with reference to Annie Oakley's famous words: "The
    best dog is that which gives the sportsman most chances of a shot." This sentence runs like a thread through the entire
    book. He also warns against irrelevant ideas which become "fashion", often conflicting from country to country and
    between different trial cultures.

Mortensen also recommends (with explanations) various literature, ranging from Roland Huntford's book about Scott
    and Amundsen to Tesio's book on breeding thoroughbred horses to various gundog literature. There are also
    references and footnotes throughout the book.

This will be a valuable and treasured addition to any gundog enthusiast's library.

For international customers the book can be ordered on the internet through www.dogbitesduck.com
    New Zealand customers please email info@dogbitesduck.com

Frank-Tommy Olsen
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Brag Dog and other stories by Vereen Bell is one of my favorite reads. It is fictional but is all set and focused on the trial circuit of "Bird Dogs" in the US back around the turn of last century. Took me a bit to get used to parts being written in the slave vernacular but this adds to the flavor of the times too.

http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=n...ed=0CEAQ6AEwAw

Snakefoot: the Making of a Champion by Bob Wehle

Der Deutsch Kurzhaar by Georgina Byrne

Pointing Dogs Volume One: The Continentals by Craig Koshyk

a little about those book Ryen -especially Snakefoot

Ben O Williams puppy book...the bestest darn book ever written...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

The Snakefoot book is about Elhew Snakefoot but is mostly Wehle's thoughts on his breeding program.

"Der Deutsch Kurzhaar" would really only appeal to GSP people but it's basically "everything you ever wanted to know about GSPs and more" including the breed history in Oz and NZ.

Koshyk's book is basically a guide to all the continental breeds (there are a surprising number of them) and their history. It has a lot of interesting history and commentary on the development of bird dogs in general as well.
    Last edited by RCGSP; 14-11-2012 at 07:40 PM.

Koshyk's book continental breeds
    Attached Images Attached Images