Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: NZ Pointer and Setter Nationals photos

NZ Pointer and Setter Nationals photos

As mentioned on the other thread the NZ Nationals were successfully held this weekend on Saturday and Sunday .
    The turn out was the regular hard core field trailers that support and keep this fine sport going for betterment of the breeds they choose to run , and for fun!
    We met at Rerewhikaitu school grounds at 8.30 am 20 min south of Rotorua and proceeded forward in convoy to a large Iwi owned farming block which to me was the best land I think I have run for a pointer and Setter trial . We walked from the race where our cars were parked and proceeded down the paddock for about 1000 yards to our starting point .

The trial was running as a brace with the dogs sent on different beats to quarter the land the best they could .We has a very strong cheek wind most of the day and all had to have multi layers as the wind chill started to cut into us very quickly and freeze our butts off.

The braces were working toward the spectator vehicles over the long undulating field which the judges used to their advantage to hide the first bird .The first bird must have been quite hard to find as from the cars we could not see the braces until they came over the top of the fields low apex -sadly the first 3 braces didn't get over that brow and were eliminated due to various problems around the traps .
    The forth brace was my own and one of the most competitive if not the most competitive trialer in the country , Robin Gaskin .The dogs were cast and as usual mine was a little slow to find his stride so Robyns dog found first with my dog Inti backing with good manners. Off we went again with some good work and Inti finding the second with perfect trap work -steady to wing and shot and through to the second round .
    Once the first round had finished we had five dogs to run off . Sadly for me my dog decided to take a lonnnngggg dump and by the time he finished Dave Sheely the eventual winners dog was on point .My dog ran forward toward Daves dog and the question was asked "will he back : to which I replied yes no problem and he did honor Dave's dogs point .Nice work both dogs .The judges then replaced Dave's dog with the by dog which proceeded to run the legs off my boy and got the find -me relegated to fifth place in the wash up .I was very happy with the result considering several years away from the trial scene.Dave Sheely IS 1st -Robyn Gaskin IS 2nd -Dale IS 3rd -Dave Sheely IS 4th and my dog Inti 5th .

Sunday arrived pissing down with Rain and we arrived at the NZ novice trial which any Pointer Setter dog can enter providing they have not won at champion level .The same dogs that beat me in 2nd and 3rd place were running today also so this would be interesting .The course was short open hilly paddock with trees and scrub to one side .Most dogs seemed to do ok but alot of whistle blowing and handling looses points .I had to blow miy whistle twice and it was obeyed instantly twice .Two good finds and very tidy manners around the traps saw me take first place with Robyn Gaskin . Not a bad weekend in all folks, In fact rather Tweed one could say !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images                                       
    Pointer likes this.
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Very nice! Tis a shame to see the prong collars though...

Loving the Tweed whoever that man is! Well done!
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

me of course Dougie

Very nice, who was there with the proper pointers??
    Nice to see all the various types of pointers.
    We have very few down here, I only know of 3 other EPs and no ES. (All are from Show breeding incl ours) and I have no clues when it comes to training either.

nothing wrong with the collar, congrats Brian on your results for the weekend

Congrats to all, and congrats to El B as you actually pulled that look off, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    We have very few down here, I only know of 3 other EPs and no ES. (All are from Show breeding incl ours) and I have no clues when it comes to training either.
    Mikee, not too long ago there was a very well known breeder of working pointers in the Christchurch area, goes by the name of Vaughan Williams, his kennel was called Kilmacud. Try get hold of him, He has dogs from his line still going but I'm not too sure if he plans to continue breeding as he is getting on. A shame as they had a good reputation as solid hunters

Cheers Z, I wasn't dissatisfied with those results at all and was impressed with my dogs manners.There were other dogs that ran very well and with pace and style but it is those little things in the manners that can eliminate a dog sadly before they have had time to strutt their stuff .I was very impressed at Dale"s IS dog Roche , that thing had pace and while it ranged to big for a scrub block it worked well in the large open lecern field of Rerewhikaitu .The Pointer has a lovely head in the photo -I cannot remember names but there was more than one pointer there running hard as they were breed to do .
    Mikee if your interested in Pointers and Setters to buy there are plenty of people here that can help out and I myself have a young breeding bitch coming from Ireland next year .The training is a pleasure and fun but takes dedication as others I am sure will agree .

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    I cannot remember names but there was more than one pointer there running hard as they were breed to do.
    The Orange/White one in your pics is Katrina Jurys' "Rusche" and the Black/White one is Frances Connors' "Dee"

[QUOTE=Pointer;51122]Congrats to all, and congrats to El B as you actually pulled that look off, well done!

Thanks Pointer ! I felt very comfortable dressed like this and it does make me wonder "why" after the money and dedication of training we don't make our sport look more prestigious and dress for each occasion to a high standard rather than turn up as most people here do looking like were ready to dig a ditch and I don't mean that in an offensive or snobbish way .

I agree, the first trial I attended in NZ I thought most people looked they had just returned from Fiordland looking for moose. Good on ya! Might convince others

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Congrats to all, and congrats to El B as you actually pulled that look off, well done!

Mikee, not too long ago there was a very well known breeder of working pointers in the Christchurch area, goes by the name of Vaughan Williams, his kennel was called Kilmacud. Try get hold of him, He has dogs from his line still going but I'm not too sure if he plans to continue breeding as he is getting on. A shame as they had a good reputation as solid hunters
    cheers for that, we will be adding another pointer in a few years, would like to get one from a working line this time and also find someone to help me with the training. Local GD club is ok with mostly labs, retrievers and a few spaniels and they are a bit obsessed with retrieve training.
    My bitch and I have a huge battle of wills,
    I'm not bothered about that as long as they will find and point "dead" Ok with me.

Are there any Pointer / Setter Trials held in the South Island??

yes there are and our judge in the novice stake was from CHCH club. Check the below link out

Sports Hub

HF1
    Nice photos and congratulations on your run. Inti worked very well we thought.

Congrats man

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    it does make me wonder "why" after the money and dedication of training we don't make our sport look more prestigious and dress for each occasion to a high standard
    Fuck that. Its a hunting event and I wear hunting clothes. If you want fancy dress go to a dog show.