Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: HAMILTON SHOOTING AND OUTDOORS EXPO.

sturg4

HAMILTON SHOOTING AND OUTDOORS EXPO.

Kingsgate Hotel, Hamilton, 8th and 9th September, 2012.

Lots for the hunter, collector, and outdoorsman to look at.

Thames Landcare will be running the Anti 1080 display there again this year.

Come along and make yourself known to us at the table.

Should be able to make to the event

Hopefully I can get along would be good to meet up with other forum members there.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

sturg4
    Good on you and the duck killa.

sturg4
    Interesting discussions at times on this subject...One of the Thames Landcare guys on the table had his two dogs poisoned by 1080 on his own property. If you have ever seen any animal die of 1080 you will understand.

Now anyone that loves his dogs as much as this man did will accept it takes a lot of coming back from such a terrible event.

Now Doc and Regional Council have no excuse for causing such trauma...Both organizations acknowledged that they failed to follow even the most basic guidelines by neglecting to...Advise the neiboughring properties they were using 1080 on a private farm...failed to advertize the said use of the toxin in the local newspaper....Failed to put up the appropiate signage where the poison was used.

So if you visit our table and want to have your say about how good 1080 is...it would probably be deemed wiser if you kept such remarks to yourself.

Both the DOC Area Manager, and the Chairman of the Waikato Conservation, have learnt this harsh lesson, that in cases like this the wiser man knows when to be a listener rather than a talker.

The native forests of most of NZ would be stuffed without 1080. Sorry to hear about the dogs but that sounds like a managment issue regarding notification of the use of 1080, not the 1080 itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    The native forests of most of NZ would be stuffed without 1080. Sorry to hear about the dogs but that sounds like a managment issue regarding notification of the use of 1080, not the 1080 itself.
    Sorry I do not agree with that statement with 1080 the birdlife and anything that comes in contact with it is stuffed the sooner that crap is banned the better.
    Dundee likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I have to disagree with you on this one Savage1. The widespread use of the 1080 toxin in our native forests causing the excruciating and agonising death of all creatures that ingest it (not just the targeted species) is a sad indictment on all that allow it to occur. The silence in our forests after the application of 1080 screams with the highest volume that New Zealand condones the destruction of eco systems all the while trading off of an image of being clean and green.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I agree that it is an evil, it's just the lesser of two evils. I think alternatives like shooting and trapping should be used where possible but where it is to remote or inaccessible then there is little alternative. As hunters we cannot really use the "inhumane" card.

sturg4
    I agree that it is an evil, it's just the lesser of two evils. I think alternatives like shooting and trapping should be used where possible but where it is to remote or inaccessible then there is little alternative. As hunters we cannot really use the "inhumane" card.
    As a hunter I do kill in a humane fashion.....To quote our own SPCA "1080 causes a deer an agonising death over a three day period"

Our SPCA recommends also that if culling of deer takes place it is done with a rifle.
    Last edited by Scribe; 24-07-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    As hunters we cannot really use the "inhumane" card.
    Again I find myself not in agreement Savage1. A shot that knocks out the central nervous system or a vital organ like the heart causes instant death (which is entirely humane). I am sure that many of us have taken a shot where an animal has subsequently died through massive blood loss / haemorrhaging (I know that I have) and whilst this is sort of death is not quite as humane as an instant death, it is still exceedingly quick particularly when compared the protracted agonising (inhumane) death that 1080 causes.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

sturg4
    Actually what I was trying to put across with the thread above is....If you are singing from the DOC /AHB songbook we dont want to hear it.
    DOC/AHB have a 4 million dollar budget of taxpayers money that they spend every year on propaganda trying to convince the masses that after 60 years of use in our forests 1080 is really doing the job.

At the Hamilton Expo we put up our own money and resources and our own time to tell the people what is really happening out there in our Forests. It is the publics chance to listen to us.

Well being a bunch of people that kill animals for their own enjoyment it makes it hard to use the "inhumane" card, even if you consider your way of killing humane.

It is funny how the hunters get so up in arms about 1080 citing animal cruelty and ruining the environment, yet never hear a peep with any other environmental issues. If 1080 didn't kill deer or pigs I bet most hunters would be supporting it.

Just my 2c, controversial as always sorry.

sturg4
    Well being a bunch of people that kill animals for their own enjoyment it makes it hard to use the "inhumane" card, even if you consider your way of killing humane.

It is funny how the hunters get so up in arms about 1080 citing animal cruelty and ruining the environment, yet never hear a peep with any other environmental issues. If 1080 didn't kill deer or pigs I bet most hunters would be supporting it.

Just my 2c, controversial as always sorry.
    The Haast /Franz drop in 2008 killed 43% of the kea over that vast area that the drop covered...That alone made many people who were non commital about 1080 sit up and take notice of its effects on our ecosystems.

So sorry 'savage' most hunters have never supported 1080 and never will. The reason for this is that most hunters spend enough time in the Forest to make their own decisions.... DOC /AHB propaganga has had little effect on people who are able to see things with their own eyes.

I've heard a lot said about 1080 used on Possums in NZ. The Australian gov has observed that through natural selection, that their possums eventually grow resistant to 1080 (they actually put that forward as a benefit) - why are they using it here?
    "During an aerial possum control operation in Ōkārito conducted by DOC and AHB in August 2011, seven of 38 tagged kea, the endemic alpine parrot, were killed"
    Maybe they just hate our native birds. Spotted this stuff on wiki - quite the read.

In Australia there have always been regular bushfires that decimate and cull the wildlife. That does the lion's share of the unpleasent work. Only way to control possums. That and foxes, and lordy you dont want those here! They're like a stoat with a brain like Stephen Hawking's.