Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Kaikoura snorkel / spearfish trip

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I'll sit on the beach and play lifeguard with a box of Speights

ARdave likes this.

The camp alloys well behaved" pot lickers ".
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

The wife and two kids keen as to come along
    I cant swim for shit , let alone dive.. but could be a good LOL for those watching
    veitnamcam and Munsey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by seano View Post
    The wife and two kids keen as to come along
    I cant swim for shit , let alone dive.. but could be a good LOL for those watching
    Surf caster maybe

We got a date yet? Trying to figure out if I can do another trip as well and a solid date would help

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I would be keen to travel down, Dates permiting...Havent been spearfishing since last week. Having withdrawals

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    We got a date yet? Trying to figure out if I can do another trip as well and a solid date would help

Will set a date then stingray may be off the grid ?

mailto:reservations@kaikourapeketabeach.co.nz?subj ect=Enquiry%20from%20Kaikoura%20Information%20&%20 Tourism%20Inc . Have rung the camp and left message as to inquire about availability cabins ? .
    seano likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    mailto:reservations@kaikourapeketabeach.co.nz?subj ect=Enquiry%20from%20Kaikoura%20Information%20&%20 Tourism%20Inc . Have rung the camp and left message as to inquire about availability cabins ? .
    Do they have caravan sites ?

Sure do , and heaps of tent sites . Very big camp ground

K think we .. the family will do the caravan thing or maybe cabin if available
    Munsey likes this.

Cabin would be good but can tent if need be.

"Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Hell yeah!! very sorry team had a week away from computer.. Munsey your a bloody legend!!

Ok brief details..

SCUBA (TANKS) will be sweet as but must be transported in a seperate vehicle from any Paua.. so if you a carting tanks no Paua in your chilly bin to take home but you can have feed at camp eh. So not a biggie.

Crays are acessable from the shore so don't stess about boats (though) that said if your keen it would assist getting futher a field for pots and diving (tanks) some more off shore area's.

Weather.. this will be our weak point. This is a very exposed part of coast line if it's good it will be bloody fantastic if it's bad... well we could always have a wander up the a couple of hills.

Gear, everything from basic will be fine. Paua are accessible from waist deep, Crays well I won't promise anything but we were at Kaikoura over the past week and did ok got 11 males (girls all egged up at present) and the big fella got one very shallow. It will really come down to th vis.

Experience required.. none to basic to advanced .. I / we can cater to all skill levels though MUST BE ABLE TO SWIM is compulsary for the dive section of the trip.

Dates.. Any time would suit me no plans. Malbrough and Nelson Aniversary are differnt weekends though.
    Munsey and seano like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

I would be keen for a Cabin but don't mind tenting would like a hot shower at the end of the day but a bucket bath is just as good.

What I have. spare suit mask fins booties (size 10) so 8-11 would fit em. I'm xl size so if your smaller bring some poly prop to where under my suit would be an idea.Spear gun can source a couple. If we could source a couple of spare weight belts etc that would be great.

Knowledge of area.. I can almost garanttee a feed of Paua / Kina. Crays will depend on Vis / weather on the weekend, Butterfish and Moki are not one of my strong points but we can always go have a look.

Experince.. I can take a first timer (adult or child) and show em the ropes, I am not a qulified instructor though. That said I have 20 + experince and am not a cowboy and will not put anyone at risk.

What to bring or beg borrow etc.. A KNOWLEDGE OF YOUR ABILTIES. If your can't clear your ears I cannot take you deeper than about 1 meter, If you are not a strong swimmer I can find a safe area for you to have a float and still experince free diving.

Mask ..One size type will not fit all... so mine may not suit you it will still work but a leaking mask is not ideal. A cheap wharehouse one will do the trick it just wont be a comfortable as a silcon one.

Wetsuit. If you can source / borrow a suit that almost fits this would be a bounus that said I've seen hardy types in shorts and t-shirt with a mask and snorkle gathering paua. Fins and booties would be a beinifit but not compulsary. and some cheap gloves would also help.

Paua knife.. Head down to your local MAF office and ask for one of their free paua knives they're bloody beaut.

Boats / rods / surfcasters if your keen bring em... If you don't have you can't do.

Cray pots as above.. Please have em Maf regs complient.

Foot note:- I'm keen for a feed of Paua but would rather limit our catch to a good feed each rather than taking our Quota (this is not a complusary rule there are specifc MAF regs in regards to catch limits).
    veitnamcam, Munsey and seano like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Great to have you onboard stingray , as far as tenting I'm thinking still at the camp so hot showers etc , and the cabin arrangement is perfect for groups as they have tent sites in front of them , even a fire pit to tallk up our diving depths . I will ring camp now and post dates . These are negotiable if don't suite the majority , but would rather they stay same . Cheers Munsey .
    stingray likes this.