Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Newby really needs some wiser more seasoned hunters advice to get started please

Newby really needs some wiser more seasoned hunters advice to get started please

Im a 27 year old builder< I grew up in Otaki Forks and spent a lot of time running around tramping and riding trail bikes in and around the elegant and mighty sorrounding Tararua Ranges, and kayaked through its winding expanse of gorges but some how the aspect of hunting anything beyond rabbits and possums with my slug gun (and if i was really lucky the old mans .22 pea shooter), always escaped me. So after wanting to learn how to hunt< and after becoming the proud owner of a very choice very enthusiastic black Lab x bull mastive, named Badger, ive gone and purchased a cross bow and have been practising on targets and the odd possum< but feel im ready to go for a walk with Badger and have a look for some goat sign< so what i need to know is Where would a good place to start taking the dog and my crossbow for some walks< ideally id like to find some goats and i live in Island Bay Wellington so would prefer some where close like the Rimutakas or Akatarawas.Can anyone point me in the right direction to a track that "in your opinion" would be a good start for someone in my position?? And although Badger is very fit and smart, he doesnt seem to have an aggressive bone in his body< hes ten months and still has a big ol' set of nuts, and is about thirty killos, what are some good techniques in encouraging him to want to chase down and lock on to goats. Any help and advice would be so so appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read my questions>

Welcome along Mike, Ive got a collie cross with the most beatiful nature but give her a whiff of a koon or goat and she does the whole Jekle and Hyde thing.

You'll find plenty of advice on here on how to turn Badger into a goat slaying machine.

Happy hunting

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Hi Mike. Welcome aboard. Possibly wrong place to post though so a mod might move it for you.
    I'd recommend you don't get Badger to chase down goats (or any game) as you need to be the hunter not him. Use his keener senses to your advantage but make sure he knows who is running the show.
    Crossbows are great for killing zombies but not too much else. I'd suggest you explore other options like either a compound bow or a rifle.
    Sorry I don't have any clues with the Wellington region for hunting goats.

You will have a lot of "fun" with Badger once he learns how to pull down goats as he will have difficulty telling the difference between goats and sheep. Save up heaps of money to pay farmers out...don't get too attached to this dog as he will probably end up with his collar tacked on some cockies barn wall and spend eternity rotting in the bottom of an offal pit.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Welcome Mike. You want to teach your dog to indicate game and then stalk in. Cross bow is probably not the right tool though.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Hi Mike and welcome

Yes crossbows are crap - they are really good at losing bolts and wondering where the fark they went.

I rumbled a mob of goats trailbiking the Akatarawas a while back so there is a bike option for ya - if you call GWRC and ask for a trailbike permit they send you a free map - the mob I spotted were on Hydro road.
    Good practice with your cycle getting around that area where they run the Karapoti.Hunt permits for Akas online at DOC with some info on poison so check that out before taking the dog in.

One day you might grow to appreciate that the reason you have a gap between ya legs is to put a motorbike there but in the meantime I suppose bicycles are acceptable

You will get plenty of advice re dogs on here though some frothing at the mouth may be involved

Also closer to home is the goats on Red Rocks/Long Gully. Long Gully access is through the gate at the wind turbine in Brooklyn but they tend to shoot their own I think.
    Don't know how the recent fire by the tip has pushed them further to the coast or not but you'd need permission there.

Good luck

Welcome, heaps of great advice above.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

ebf
    Hey Mike, welcome to the forum.

Couple of us on here from Welly. Give me a shout if you want to try some shooting up at Kaitoke range. Preferably during the week, I try to avoid the weekend crowds
    steven likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

DAF
    Hey Mike,
    Welcome to the forum, I'm island bay based as well
    Lots of good people on here willing to share their knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

Welcome aboard Mike, looks like the good advice is piling up....good luck
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Banned
    get a rifle and ill get you onto some stinkies.

buy a rifle forget the xbow. u will end up with animals running away full of arrows. pretty cruel really. yip use your dogs nose as a tool, or like said above it will end up in an offal hole.

Welcome to the forum.
    VIVA LA HOWA

That's him sorted , "NEXT" !
    ishoot10s likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

The NZ Deer starkers down here run a young hunt's program a good thing if you need a start up.
    That most offen opens the way for weekend hunting etc.
    It's a good program for anyone who what I know young or old.
    Can't help with you up there but try the NZDA.
    308 and steven like this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...