Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: ORC Practical Rifle Match

Yeah was an awesome day, some challenging targets and time limits. That 50bmg is something else to fire, smoked a clay at 400 with it though!

I hope they do this again next year, I would love to give it a go next time around. Had a date conflict this year, not to mention no rifles suitable for the competition.

Just register, get hold of 80 rounds and have a go ! It's only 20% about the rifle. Almost any weapon could be used to score a useful number of hits at each stage as long as you've tested it, got zero and trajectory and it doesnt break down. Gillie will probably tell us about Which were "rifles suitable for the competition". These shoots are 50% preparation and 30% skill. People with all three come out way in front on score of course but everyone has a helluva good time.
    Blaser and Gillie like this.

Was an awesome event, will certainly be entering if it's held again.
    Thanks Gillie!

Was great for new comers, was easy enough that anyone could enjoy themselves but hard enough to challenge even the best of competitors. Agree that it was 20% rifle/caliber a heap of 223s shot really well.

That fishing rod stage was a bastard!
    Blaser likes this.

Results and photo links have been emailed out. I'll put up some photos and summarise the results here when I get the chance.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

It was fun and you don’t need the flashiest gear to shoot well or for that matter have a good time.
    400m was a challenge as the wind got up and blew my little bullet around but otherwise it was me that was the weak link in my setup.
    I came 9th overall with my Remington R15 (AR15) wearing a fixed 5x scope (Burris AR-536) and shooting cheap 55g xtream hand loads.
    I was the top Semi Auto shooter by the look of it so happy with that.
    I will do the next shoot for sure.

Yeah was a bloody good day, the wind definately had an impact on my 53gr bullet at 400 also, still did pretty good though, finished 4th. Look forward to the next event.

After reading this I most definitely need to get out and shoot again. Looks like a heap of fun however due to round count required and not hand loading it could be a costly day out!
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Even with the 7mm 08 I lost several shots due to insufficient respect for the wind. I thought it typically varied from 0.3 to 0.7 mRad (1 to 2 MOA) at 300 and 400 yards even though the breeze at the mound felt light and was coming over my shoulder at 4 to 7 oclock. I came in about half way up the bunch of bolt guns. Used 69 rounds, hardly needed the second mag. Remember and enjoy the good shots ; that's what you're there for.
    Blaser and PERRISCICABA like this.

Was a really fun event I thought. I was interested in a few of the results and some of my predictions certainly didn’t come true!

The unlimited round count know your limit stages proved to be highly entertaining as people would get so far, miss, and then to start all over again with the clock still counting down. More than a couple of people ended that stage with a miss meaning they got a 0 score.

The positional stages proved interesting as again it seems that a lot of shooters do not know how to take the most advantage from a support. I think the time limits for the positional stages were about right as well – the semiauto shooters had a little advantage in these stages.

The swinger target proved entertaining as always. We did notice a crack has developed in the rod though so that is back in for repair. The rattle battle stages with the penalty for misses stages proved to be several people undoing. I think the target size was probably a little small on this stage (particularly at 400). For people that shoot service rifle we were basically asking competitors to make a 5 or V shot at 400yards and then penalising misses. At 300 yards it was good but at 400 we should have increased the target size.

The Drama stages (hostage targets) were a lot of fun. The additional rounds allowed at 300 ensured several people shot the maximum score on this stage. At 400 yards competitors were given an unlimited round count to hit all 8 targets (5 targets plus 3 “hostages”) with no penalty for misses – I got a few comments on how people enjoyed this stage punishing the “hostage” target that cost them points on previous stages!

Overall, the top 4 shooters were as expected – these people have all been to several of our field style events before, are very good shooters, and are well practiced with their rifle setups. Just to point it out though, 3rd place was shooting a bolt action .223 hunting rifle with a 3-9 scope… Top shooter was 8 hits outs in front and missed only 9 shots out of the 71 counting shots on offer.

What was surprising is that there was only one semiauto shooter in the top ten (ninth overall). I will be taking steps at the next event to ensure there is a couple more stages that are better suited for a semiauto shooter – particularly at the shorter ranges.
    Blaser and PERRISCICABA like this.

Lots of fun by the looks of it

Any chance of a close up on how your gongs are rigged up?
    I'm going with a galv pipe for a stand with fence conections so I can dismantle it to fit in the boot, main cross member is galv pipe.
    be interested to see how your ones are done if that's cool
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Most of ours are a really simple 10mm rebar frame. These are really cheap and are easily repaired - they do get shot occasionally. Looking back segmented frames might be a good idea, certainly for packing them into a vehicle but for our purpose, their simplicity, and the price of these (I paid $7 per frame last time I got some) they work pretty good.

Awesome
    Pipe was free so all good, some yanks have made a plastic jointer thingo for re bar set ups like yours

Thanks
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Is that seat belt material you have used to hang the targets?
    How big were the targets on the dive, dive, dive stage and the its a trap stage?
    Last edited by Beetroot; 03-01-2017 at 11:42 AM.