Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: packraft hunting anyone

packraft hunting anyone

Is there anyone out there interested in packraft hunting in Canterbury / Westland ? Who is tooled up with an Alpacka etc like me and ready to go ?

Don't exactly know what you mean. Can you describe your system and idea in a bit more detail please?

Have looked at these rafts a bit. Look good and very lite and packable. Some good river options around too. Should be able to handle Grade 3 and maybe 4 depending on load etc.

Have you had it out yet?

Shit I though you meant hunting with one of these
    Alpacka
    Name:  l-Who-said-llamas-couldnt-be-cute..jpg
Views: 2276
Size:  319.9 KB

Still cleaning the coffee out of my keyboard
    Toby, 257weatherby, heinnz and 4 others like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    Have looked at these rafts a bit. Look good and very lite and packable. Some good river options around too. Should be able to handle Grade 3 and maybe 4 depending on load etc.

Have you had it out yet?
    No. The real world has kept me from using it in the last couple of weeks but 2015 will have a lot more time.

Alpacka Denali Llama packraft
    Cruiser spray deck
    Manta ray 4 piece paddle
    PFD kayak vest
    helmet

Raft weighs 2kg even and all other parts another 2kg
    They look like a bit of a toy but there's a good reason they cost so much ... the build quality is exceptional

Have recently had 100mm taken off my Blaser R93 308 barrel and Robbie from gunworks put short 41mm diameter suppressor on it. Running 125 accubonds for reasonable ballence between trajectory and speed out of the short barrel.
    It will fit under the cruiser spray deck if I want it to be handy.
    Want to get a bit of experience during the warmer months on some easier water and work up to rivers like the Clarence etc once I have tracked down others interested in the same.

Sounds like a lot of fun and something I would love to get into one day.

Walking the Amazon Pack rafting was tested to the max when this bloke walked the Amazon river.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Shit I though you meant hunting with one of these
    Alpacka
    Attachment 32593
    About 10 years ago I thought about getting a couple to keep the grass down under the Kiwifruit and carry my gear in the bush.Then nah! some dumb bugger will think it's a deer.
    Escusie OP
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    No. The real world has kept me from using it in the last couple of weeks but 2015 will have a lot more time.

Alpacka Denali Llama packraft
    Cruiser spray deck
    Manta ray 4 piece paddle
    PFD kayak vest
    helmet

Raft weighs 2kg even and all other parts another 2kg
    They look like a bit of a toy but there's a good reason they cost so much ... the build quality is exceptional

Have recently had 100mm taken off my Blaser R93 308 barrel and Robbie from gunworks put short 41mm diameter suppressor on it. Running 125 accubonds for reasonable ballence between trajectory and speed out of the short barrel.
    It will fit under the cruiser spray deck if I want it to be handy.
    Want to get a bit of experience during the warmer months on some easier water and work up to rivers like the Clarence etc once I have tracked down others interested in the same.
    I would be keen to take a look at the raft you have. Cannot justify spending $1000-1300 on a raft without looking at one first.

Clarence is a pretty easy river, just long. Therefore, if shit goes wrong, you're a long way from anywhere. I trust you have a PLB too. Get a dri-jacket as these rafts sit pretty low in the water.

Get it out in the flat water first and then some lower sections of the Waimak and then the Ashley gorge too(after a little rain, but portaging should be easy with than raft). Multi day in the Waimak Gorge.

@Matt2308 maybe we need to just get a Waimak trip sorted first this summer before the Clarence in winter(cold time). Mainly for more river time
    Matt2308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post

@Matt2308 maybe we need to just get a Waimak trip sorted first this summer before the Clarence in winter(cold time). Mainly for more river time
    I will bring the jetboat ha ha
    Matt2308 and Uplandstalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I will bring the jetboat ha ha
    Now your talking!
    I haven't had a play in one yet.

Been using my packraft in the north island for a while now with some minor stuff in the south island. Here is a video of a great trip we did into the Rangitikei.

Get in touch if you want more information https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=557696817 - there is a group getting together in Murchison in Jan 2016 - contacts made through private facebook page. You would find a number of Chch people have them and be able to make contact.

Its on my list bit will b a wee while away
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    used to hunt heaps off the rafts in the Motu, Mohaka, top and bottom. This was in the mid eighties. Shallow shoaly rapids are the pits and are just as dangerous as the big boys. Also used to run a oar boat down the Mohaka from Rabbit bridge to the Te Hoe confluence doing live capture on goats.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Should be fun shooting off a raft while cruising along a river in the golden hours. Might take some practice though I'd imagine!