Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Ruahine NZDA Hunters Biathlon 2015

Ruahine NZDA Hunters Biathlon 2015

The 2015 Ruahine NZDA Hunters Biathlon will be held on Sunday the 17th of May. This event combines movement speed with field target shooting and is a good event, with some great people and there are prizes to boot. The course scoring is heavily weighted towards shooting so it doesn't really matter how fit (or unfit!) you are though if you want to win then you will need to shoot well!

A few entry requirements:
    $25 entry fee,
    Two courses, both courses are about 1km in length and typical course times are about 15-20 minutes,
    Targets between 20m and 350m,
    40 shots required,
    No full length magnums (unless you talk to me beforehand and I specifically allow it),
    Any rifle with any scope,
    Bring your hunting gear as you will be expected to compete in it (day pack, boots, etc.).

So there are limited entry available, if you competed last year or you are a Ruahine NZDA branch member then you have a guaranteed spot this year. To confirm your entry get in touch with Jasen on 027 574 6955. Spectators are more than welcome and there will be a BBQ and refreshments at the end of the day.

Any event questions get in touch with me. For the event location get in touch with Jasen.

Some photos from last year:

andyanimal31 likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    See you there!
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Count me in for sure! I'll ask a few mates as well.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    I'm keen.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Yeah, Im a starter.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Yup.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Bugger. Im not in NZ on the 17th I just found out
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Yep keen as!!!!!

If there is a spot then yes please
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Thought I had better make something a bit clearer about this event. Yes, it is a biathlon and therefore includes movement and shooting. The scoring system is weighted such that shooting is much more important than movement speed. We had some fast competitors last year but even then if you had shot a good shooting score and still come last for time you would have ended up about 6th overall.

Bottom line - don't worry about how fit or unfit you are! Come along and have some fun, meet some awesome people and have a laugh! When you aren't competing it is a social day and the branch put on a good BBQ afterwards!
    Blaser likes this.

Whats the common calibers for this event?

Ahhh, calibres smaller than a full length magnum - .222Rem, .223, anything in the .308 case, .284Win, .270, .280Rem... Short magnums are ok but I would hope someone wanting to use those would ask me first. The no full length magnum rule is to save my targets a bit. I think a .223 won the event two years ago and a .260AI won it last year. 6.5x55 and 22-250 have been up in the placings as well. Within reason it is generally the shooter that make the difference between a hit and a miss over the calibre.

Cool, the 270 shuld be up for it then. Do I ring Jasen to see if there is a spot left?

Yep, .270 will be fine. Also yep, Jasen is the person to talk to about entry. I think at the moment he is trying to fill spots with people local to Dannevirke and those who attended last year. Closer to the date I am sure additional entry spots will open up. Best to give Jasen a ring though - if you talk to him, tell him Simon says to stop being picky and to save 10 spots for Dannevirke guys then after that it is first in first served!

Thanks gillie I will call him tomorrow to let him know im keen.