Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Tarata Medium Range and 22LR Field Shoot

Spectators welcome? I mite come for a look and meet a few more of you guys if so never done anything like this so would be cool to come and have a look

@EVILWAYZ, spectators are fine.

No entry fee for spectators of course but first priority at the BBQ will go to competitors. Spectators will still get some BBQ of course, but I had better feed the paying competitors first!
    EVILWAYZ likes this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

I have been asked a couple of times now about the gear requirements for the upcoming Tarata Medium Range event. So here goes, this is my minimum, recommended, and optional gear requirements.

Minimum Gear:
    • Appropriate footwear for a working farm
    • Wind/waterproof jacket as appropriate
    • Hearing protection (plugs, muffs or both)
    • Reliable and safe rifle/ammunition suitable for the event i.e. sighted in!
    • Good set of binoculars for spotting/scoring
    • Time keeping device (watch, phone, stop watch, etc.)
    • Day pack with snack and drink
    • Pencil or ball point pen for scoring
    • Common sense and a good attitude!

Additional Recommended Gear
    • Hat and sunscreen
    • Rangefinder (target distances will be given in meters only)
    • Bipod and rear bag (recommended for Open class, Hunter class if you want)
    • Ballistic drop data (Open class - printed, phone, etc.)
    • Rifle and optic cleaning and maintenance gear

Additional Optional Gear
    • Spotting scope instead of binoculars
    • Shooting sling
    • Note pad and pencil
    • Camera

We typically recommend that for hunters you come along with your normal hunting gear i.e. practice your field shooting with the gear you will likely have with you out in the field. I can't think of anything else I would recommend you bring along at the moment but if I do I'll add it to this post.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

i have a couple of open spots if someone else wants to attend. Get in touch!

What a great day, many thanks Simon for all your hard work, plus thanks to all others who helped out both before during and afterwards to make this happen...a lot of work, but very appreciated.

Getting sunburnt wasn't an issue this year, and when you have ginger hair and pasty skin...any day out without getting toasted by the sun is a good day! I had a fun crew to shoot with and enjoyed their company, plus got to witness some impressive shooting! My own shooting was less than impressive, but we all have our good and bad days, that's just life. I tried a few new things and they didn't quite pay off, but that's the price of education

I would encourage anyone to come to these days, even non competitors, as the knowledge from the more experienced guys was freely shared and you only stand to learn from such people. But shooting is even more fun if you can.

Once again, many thanks to all involved.

Kim
    puku, Gillie and Woody like this.

Good day in the wet shooing with Woody, Johnathon and Trev. Good to meet Kimjon. Thanks Gillie for a challenging course. Woody a good mate to travel with and his wife supplied some yum food and really strong coffee! White bait fritters at Moki on the way home were a highlight as well. 550 Ks for the day and about 50 rounds of ammo, had one round left. Oh you want to know my score, let's say I didn't win any chocs, but I scared the shit out of some of those gongs! Thanks once again
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Idiot me! What a looser I am.
    I actually would not be able to attend it BUT, if I was I would be in big "shit"(I am sorry for the words). I actually booked it to the weekend of 27-29 of November and I "almost" book flights to those dates...
    I am very happy tha once again it was a success, congratulations @Gillie for the organisation and to hose who attend the event, I am shame that I "couldn't" make it.
    All the best everyone, I will for sure see you all sometime soon.

Mac
    Gillie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    What a great day, many thanks Simon for all your hard work, plus thanks to all others who helped out both before during and afterwards to make this happen...a lot of work, but very appreciated.

Getting sunburnt wasn't an issue this year, and when you have ginger hair and pasty skin...any day out without getting toasted by the sun is a good day! I had a fun crew to shoot with and enjoyed their company, plus got to witness some impressive shooting! My own shooting was less than impressive, but we all have our good and bad days, that's just life. I tried a few new things and they didn't quite pay off, but that's the price of education

I would encourage anyone to come to these days, even non competitors, as the knowledge from the more experienced guys was freely shared and you only stand to learn from such people. But shooting is even more fun if you can.

Once again, many thanks to all involved.

Kim
    Absolutely, as a first timer, I'd recommend this shoot as not too demanding or intimidating.

My big fcuk up was not checking my EL binos, they were set on yards, (and I forgot how to change them )so guesstimating TBR using my yards displayed and Simons ranges in meters did my head in......PPPP,..... preparation prevents piss poor performance.

Huge thankyou to the organizers and hosts from me.

Enjoyed your company too Kim, Cheers,

Bevan
    kimjon and Gillie like this.

Sorry I didn't meet you @shift14 we need name tags for these events!
    kimjon likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Sorry I didn't meet you @shift14 we need name tags for these events!
    Good idea, name and call sign if applicable

B

Thanks simon much appreciated. My score would of been a shit hot game of golf haha. The fun factor more than made up for it. never had a chance to shoot much past 100m
    Gillie likes this.

Thanks very much Guys,
    Had a big weekend - 35 competitors on Saturday (which make this a big event for us) even with the wet weather we had. Great to see people come along and test themselves and their setups against the courses set. It worked out about half the competitors shot the open class course with the other half shooting the hunter class course. Some very good shooting on display although there were nearly as many hits on the open class "no shoot" targets as there was on the actual target set up behind them! I got a bunch of photos on the Saturday and a few on Sunday as well. I have put a couple on the facebook page and when I get the chance will put some on here as well.

Again thanks to everyone who made it along, some competitors had to do a fair amount of driving and it is certainly appreciated.

Couple of photos from yesterdays 22LR event - weather was much nicer than Saturday!

Bryan, kimjon, Maca49 and 3 others like this.

Yep. Agree with all the comments so far; it was an entertaining shoot.. Agree with Kimjon we have good and not so good days, but it is great to see some of the young shooters going well in trying conditions. Maca49 and I did not score well, but then, he couldn't see much other than water through those cheap bino's of his anyway, and I'm too deaf to hear the gong strikes.

Good bunch of competitors there. Thanks to Gillie, all his helpers and also to the hosts who made their farm available.
    kimjon, Maca49 and PERRISCICABA like this.

Now do you want to know how many you really hit? .....................................? About 5 less than I gave you, I always feel sorry for pensioners, hahahaha
    PERRISCICABA and WallyR like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Once I have typed up all the results i'll post forum member's scores and placings if you like. By my count there was about 11 forum members in attendance.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.