Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rushy

Thread: Age old sleeping bag question

Age old sleeping bag question

Hi all new to this site and this is my first post.

Just looking at getting a sleeping bag for myself. At the moment using my mrs kathmandu seeker which is comfy and warm but need to get my own.
    Looking at the black stag 750, marmot sawtooth and macpac latitude in down but have seen the treksmart 3 which packs down pretty small for a synthetic and its pretty well priced. The marmot trestles 15 looks pretty good too. I am wanting a small bag comfort rated between -5 and -10 what are your thoughts has any one used either of the synthetics? Mont bell bags look pretty amazing...can a bag so light really be so warm? I wonder how much punishment they can take. I am a bit skeptical of manufacturers claims...if it sounds too good to be true.....

Cheers

As far as I'm concerned down always beats synthetic for warm. That's my experience anyway. I've got a Macpac Latitude and I'd recommend it. The Black Stag 750 is comparable to the Macpac. I'm not too familiar with the other ones.

Go down all the way. I got an old macpac about 10 yrs old cant remeber the model but the down weight is 700 . Great bag. Biggest tip is use a silk liner will give you 1-2 degrees extrat warmth while a polyester liner will give you an extra 3-4 degrees warmth. Beauty of using liners is it keeps your bag clean and its alot easyier cleaning a liner than a sleeping bag.

Most important is when storing open it out of compression bag, otherwise you will ruin your sleeping bag storing it compressed.

If you really want/need a bag to go down to -5,-10 temeperatures you will need 2 bags as that -5 bag will be to hot for summer and spring hunting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sturg4
    Yes I am a down man myself. I swear I have nearly died of the cold in a synthtic bag. Like a good scope stretch the budget and by the best and it will last you for the rest of your hunting life...I am not sure if you can still get an everest now but they were the bag. I had mine and slept in in for 15 years then when it got a bit thin and the feathers started to escape my wife made a new cover for it.

Its just a personal pet hate. But I hold one for those mummy bags. In one trip in the bush you might get a couple of warm nights and if you cant unzip and get right out of it and sleep under your bag you wake up a melted wreck.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    This is a very interesting discussion and I am going to be the first to say synthetic and mummy shape. I have used a Domex brand synthetic mummy shape for the last decade and it has served me well although to be fair the coldest that I would have used it would have been -6 and I was using a silk liner as I was fairly exposed under a hootchie half shelter. I would suggest you consider budget first, comfort and fit (always get in a bag before buying it) second and then the possibility of getting wet in your bag (never a recommendation) thirdly.

If you can afford it then go down as the others have recommended. As to standard oblong shape or mummy shape that really is entirely personal preference but if there is even the remotest of possibilities that your bag could get wet while in use then go synthetic (you will get just as wet as in a down bag but you will be heaps warmer).

Thanks for the replys. I have been thinking the down way. Has anyone used the hunting and fishing down bag. Looks pretty good for the money

Ive got a trestles 15 here. Its shit. You can have it for $100, used 2 hunting trips and camping 3 or 4 times. Always aired and stored uncompressed.

Chris

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    Ive got a trestles 15 here. Its shit. You can have it for $100, used 2 hunting trips and camping 3 or 4 times. Always aired and stored uncompressed.

Chris
    With that sales pitch who could refuse

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    With that sales pitch who could refuse

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I too am very keen to hear some real feedback from any owner of a Mont Bell bag. I know of one chap with one and he rates it for its lightness but he's a tough old bugger. I just got a Macpac Latitude for a summer/hut bag and it is great.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    but he's a tough old bugger. .
    All of us old bugger's are tough! Comes from riding dinosaurs to school.
    JDog likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Man if you saw the quality of the sales people at Macpac in Christchurch, you would be glad I even offered you a sale.

Useless fucks.

Chris

If your gonna be hunting in a wet environment for any length of time away from huts consider a synthetic bag. Most synthetic sleeping bags even when dripping wet retain roughly 80% heating capacity. Or if u go the down route consider a bivvie bag because if you get one of those suckers wet ull be in the fetal position shivering ur sack off.
    I have a NANOK -15 endurance bag, it's excellent. Has zips down both sides, mummy shape and can be dumped straight into the washing machine when I get back it's brilliant.
    Snugpak bags are available here in NZ, they are excellent

I curl up at night with a hunting and fishing bought "Camping and Tramping NZ" mummy bag, french down, good to -15C. Cost me an arm and a leg but I love being super warm and the outer is water resistant. Weighs around 700g and compacts well. Teamed with my bivi bag, totally sorted for any winter adventure.

Also big ups to the boys at Ballangers Hunting and Fishing in Christchurch, those guys are clued up!! And not hard on the eyes either, you can pitch that to the wives/girlfriends if you want them to tag along on your shopping trip.

Macpac down bags here, 18 yr old solstice, never ever felt the cold in it, just got a Macpac Express for summer and huts, prolly get a lattitude to replace the solstice soon for the real cold stuff,