Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Shelley
  • 1 Post By Dama dama
  • 4 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 2 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By R93
  • 1 Post By Steverusty

Thread: Bahco....how sharp?

Bahco....how sharp?

Just picked up bahco knife, how good is the steel in these knives, what I mean is do you sharpen them razor sharp enough to cut a blow flies eyesight at 20 yards or just sharp....that is,is the steel good enough to hold a really sharp edge skinning/dressing an animal or will nicking a bone or a bit of mud on the hide take the edge off straight away. I've had some knives that lasted better if not overly sharpened. Appreciate your thoughts and experiences. Cheers Steve

As sharp as you can get it, and it will last. They are usually good to go straight out of the shop.

Leave the angle of the scandi grind as it is. The more you reduce the angle, the more likely it will chip. Its fine like it is.
    mikee, Mathias and Steverusty like this.

The steel is Swedish steel, it's made in the Mora shops, same steel, different name on them, scandi edge so just place the blade on the stone, rock it forward until the whole bevel rest on the stone, then push back and forth. It's pretty easy, you can go either take it to a really fine edge for a mirror polish, or you can leave it toothy, either way will work, depends on your preference and how often you want to resharpen it.
    At the price point it's not really an issue as the knife is cheaper than a good sharpstone...
    Steverusty likes this.

The price of them you can experiment

Great knives...although I've always had trouble sharpening them. I'll try the technique outlined above. Still, my first one did seven deer before I even thought about going near a stone with it.
    kiwi39 likes this.

the wee ceramic rods that are size of cigarette that go into wooden block in a v shape work a treat with these awesome knives.

I found a Bahco today, stoked! driving through a paddock at the back of the farm and "hey hold up, what was that??" reversed the bike up and theres a Bahco sticking out of a fencepost.. Score!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I found a Bahco today, stoked! driving through a paddock at the back of the farm and "hey hold up, what was that??" reversed the bike up and theres a Bahco sticking out of a fencepost.. Score!
    That's where I left it! Ta.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    HNTMAD and Ryan_Songhurst like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I only bother to sharpen them a couple of times...I use them as boat/bait/vehicle knives so they tend to get rust gaps in them, bloody good knives for the 10-15 bucks you pay for them tho.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I only bother to sharpen them a couple of times...I use them as boat/bait/vehicle knives so they tend to get rust gaps in them, bloody good knives for the 10-15 bucks you pay for them tho.
    Same. My one rusts like a bastard.
    But it is always near salt water and I am slack when it comes to maintaining it.
    Best knife I have bought for 11 bucks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Blaser likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Thanks for the info. I found them on eBay from Melbourne for $15 but was $62 p&h.......wtf....turned out to be Melbourne Florida found them in Sydney $15.95 posted so I got 2 I'll give 1 a rub on the stone and hope to try it out this weekend
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steverusty View Post
    Thanks for the info. I found them on eBay from Melbourne for $15 but was $62 p&h.......wtf....turned out to be Melbourne Florida found them in Sydney $15.95 posted so I got 2 I'll give 1 a rub on the stone and hope to try it out this weekend
    That's a reasonable price.
    Not much help to you being in Oz but I got mine on a previous special from this outfit in ChCh
    Bahco Knife In Holster | Knives & Blades | George Henry & Co. Ltd. | Christchurch | New Zealand

Here's a long running thread on another forum demonstrating Bahco mania!
    http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaB...m=1330842472/0
    Last edited by zimmer; 06-07-2017 at 09:20 AM.