Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

View Poll Results: best saw

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Husky 0-60cc

25 17.24%
  • Still 0-60cc

52 35.86%
  • Still 60+cc

68 46.90%
  • Husky 60+cc

29 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree228Likes

Thread: Best chainsaw.

To be honest there is not alot between them now.The older Sthils would outlast the Husky's any day.It was rare to see a Husky on a skid site in the North Island anway.Now both Sthil and Husky have computor controlled Carbs,fucking shits of things.They are supposed to "auto tune" the fuel delivery depending on elevation etc.Instead they sometimes "auto stop" especially when hotThey wont start for love or money untill they cool down.I used to repair my saws but now I run them for a year and sell them on.
    XR500 likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

20 yrs of running sthil saws commercially , don't buy the 661, just seized two saws about three weeks old, waiting the see what stihl have to say , four other saws same day running same fuel no issues,

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    To be honest there is not alot between them now.The older Sthils would outlast the Husky's any day.It was rare to see a Husky on a skid site in the North Island anway.Now both Sthil and Husky have computor controlled Carbs,fucking shits of things.They are supposed to "auto tune" the fuel delivery depending on elevation etc.Instead they sometimes "auto stop" especially when hotThey wont start for love or money untill they cool down.I used to repair my saws but now I run them for a year and sell them on.
    Read the manual

Hot start procedure involves the chokes high idle position with the choke off

Starts no problem

Used heaps of 562xp saws now and that's the trick
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    That sounds like the argument that circles in NZ about Tikkas. We run a 353 and 562XP in the bush track cutting including very big dead wet beech. They certainly perform for us.The danger is the Timberline on the 562.Watch your legs because it can get that chain very sharp possibly too sharp.
    7mmsaum likes this.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    That sounds like the argument that circles in NZ about Tikkas. We run a 353 and 562XP in the bush track cutting including very big dead wet beech. They certainly perform for us.The danger is the Timberline on the 562.Watch your legs because it can get that chain very sharp possibly too sharp.
    Cutting southern mahogany today I discovered the secret to actually being able to cut it dry

I sharpened with the down angle set at 50 degrees and used a 1 mm raker gap

Lil husky axe Peeling the bark off it………..

Name:  IMG_2303.jpeg
Views: 187
Size:  45.8 KB
    TeRei, norsk and NAKED_GOOSE like this.

Caretaker
    Husqvarna for the win
    outlander likes this.

Haha - entirely mission dependent . . . . I've had a crew building a track on Stewart Is for the last week. They had my little battery MSA200. It was constantly in use, build a set of steps here, knock off tree roots there, cut off a 300mm southern rata branch now, "fuck don't mind cutting with my saw in the dirt you rough bastard "! It was running every time I was in earshot of them.

I sharpened 2-3 times a day. Bar oil every other sharpen. Never got past two batteries per day (AP300's). Fan-bloody-tastic professional tool. But not a production or firewood saw.
    7mmsaum, Pengy, BRADS and 1 others like this.

Stihl for me
    Ex council job 2 yrs old, not even 19 hrs on it
    Price made it the best I ever had
    Old man had a kawasaki back in the early 80s was sold with farm apparently stihl going

I'd agree with the comment that the current series electronic carb saws don't appear to have a lot of air between the similar-spec'd models across the brands. In the older series, the Stihl are heavier by a little bit and more bulky, again by a little bit. What is good with the older Stihls, the XX0 and XX1 versions predating the electronic carbs is that they are usually built with a lot more space around the inside bits which makes them easier to get into, apart and a lot less fiddly to clean and sort out when needed. I've generally found the Stihls to be a lot less finicky and with less silly little things going wrong in a pesky and hard to diagnose way. By that I'm meaning the good old pesky run happily, them stop suddenly never to run again till it cools down type deal - had this with a couple of smaller husky versions now (and a Jonsered same same) which was the fuel hose getting squished between a cooling fin and a plastic stiffening rib inside the cover - shorten the hose a touch and reroute it and good to go. Frustrating till you find it though!

I have found the high idle hot start thing, it actually works on a few different brands and models when they've been hot and stopped for a few minutes. I've had a couple of people give me petrol saws recently as they couldn't start or restart them - usually it's technique over anything else and maybe a fresh dose of fuel and a tune up.

One thing though, is of all the brands if you want NZ aftersales parts and support availability the choices are husky and stihl.