Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

View Poll Results: best saw

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Husky 0-60cc

25 17.24%
  • Still 0-60cc

52 35.86%
  • Still 60+cc

68 46.90%
  • Husky 60+cc

29 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree228Likes

Thread: Best chainsaw.

There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Big foot im with you about the reliability factor.
    My mate has had three 3120's of which two blew up and the third went into a gorge stuck in a stump.
    I then went halves with in a stihl 880 that we run upto a 56 inch bar on and never looked back!
    We both run 460's and I have an original 066 that still honks that mainly runs a 36" bar but will push the 42 not to bad.
    As I said in another thread the last decent reliable grunty husky was the 266xp.that was a great saw.
    I have run shindaiwas for my small saws for 12 years using them everyday and wouldnt consider anything else for small pro saws.
    Its a shame husky dropped the reliability ball as stihl need some competition to keep them honest
    graham99 likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    still wouldn't matter stihl still wouldn't win
    Nesika likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I noticed on the first page. STILL, I do use a Husky(or two).
    Trust issues?

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Big foot im with you about the reliability factor.
    My mate has had three 3120's of which two blew up and the third went into a gorge stuck in a stump.
    I then went halves with in a stihl 880 that we run upto a 56 inch bar on and never looked back!
    We both run 460's and I have an original 066 that still honks that mainly runs a 36" bar but will push the 42 not to bad.
    As I said in another thread the last decent reliable grunty husky was the 266xp.that was a great saw.
    I have run shindaiwas for my small saws for 12 years using them everyday and wouldnt consider anything else for small pro saws.
    Its a shame husky dropped the reliability ball as stihl need some competition to keep them honest
    I love 460's! they are sex with 2 handles and a 2 stroke

Now Im out of the bush if I was to buy another saw (which I wont need to) but if I did it would be a 460, just perfect size and grunt for any job.

My 460 got flogged two weeks ago of the back of my truck and now I am not doing commercial fire wood it is to hard to justify buying a brand new one.
    Just looking at the big shindaiwa that has the same power for half the price or a good second hand 460 that hasn't been in the forestry.
    Any body that has picked up my 460 for a burn gets a smile on their face as they wander of to the stihl shop!
    graham99 and big_foot like this.

No trust issues here. Complete faith.
    Just different sizes. They are all oldies;
    2100CD
    42 on a atom auger

I might be a bit harsh on Stihls. I own one. A little 230 with the ergo start. Only had it about 4 years and its worn out.
    The 2100 were a great saw as well.
    And yes the baby stihls are rubbish trying to ride on the heels of their big brothers

No trust issues here. Complete faith.
    Just different sizes. They are all oldies;
    2100CD
    42 on a atom auger

I might be a bit harsh on Stihls. I own one. A little 230 with the ergo start. Only had it about 4 years and its worn out.
    Thats cause the poor wee things always chipping in when the Husky's break down. Im a bit harsh on Husky's, Im a "see it to believe it" kinda guy, when I see a good husky I'll believe it...but I wont hold my breathe

Name:  Saws from above.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  155.9 KBName:  Stihl 084 with 42 inch bar.jpg
Views: 8917
Size:  1,019.2 KB

I don't really understand all the partisanship - had Stihls for ages and picked up a cheap old wee Husky for $100 and it goes great

I keep hearing good things about Shindaiwas too

As long as you look after your saw that's the main thing to me. After usage they always get a blowout and clean with compressed air and a sharpen before they go away so that they are all ready to go
    graham99 and gadgetman like this.

Is that a 42 on there 308

Yeah 42inch bar on the 084. The 066 has a 39in but I've gone down to something around a 32in on that one now and it's a better balance

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Got a Stihl 056 that I brought 30yrs ago second hand of a fire wood merchant who had cut half his foot off with it, Dumb arse had filed the drags off so it kicked like hell. Also have a Husky that I won in a fishing contest 4yrs ago. The Stihl still starts a treat and is an absolute joy to use. The Husky however, is a pig to start, but once going seems to do the job OK. The Husky has been serviced twice in 4yrs and the Stihl twice in 30+yrs, go figure
    mucko and big_foot like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

I usually grind the guides well down on my chains as I hate waiting for a saw to cut. I would rather have to hold it back.
    I also hate chains with those so called anti kick back guides. I like to be able to bore with the tip.
    Id say watch out for kick back but you gotta have a bit of grunt for that to be an issue
    graham99 and Nesika like this.

I have a Stihl MS280, 55cc I think with an 18 inch bar and it's great, Its the second model up in the commercial style and goes like stink. I think it's just the right size for the above average operator without going stupid. never had a problem with it and it's had a thrashing.

When I bought it the shop sold both Husq and Stihl, each guy I asked in there said Stihl so I stuck with them.

What chain do people recommend? I am mainly cutting blue gum trees, bith green and dry.

@big_foot is making profiles to vote sthil
    7mmsaum, BRADS and big_foot like this.