Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Best Thermos

Piopio, Christchurch, Pilbara/GreatSandy Desert WA

Best Thermos

So with opening next weekend the obligatory cup of tea will be needed throughout the season in either the maimai or the layout blind. What is the best thermos out there and what are you using?

The couple seasons have seen the ones i have had fail.

I used to use a Stanley for work, it would still be hot when I got home if I didnt have time to drink it. You should really only use it for boiling water for maximum longevity, Im too sensitive to the smells that build up using them for soup and coffee. You can use bleach to get rid of the smell apparently, I had no luck.

I think I'll buy a stanley next time too. Others I have bought in the past last for about a week. And end up breaking, the Stanley ones are meant to be unbreakable?
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

R93
    The 2 L glass ones the warehouse sells are the best I have had for heat retention etc.
    Only trouble is you have to baby them as I have picked mine a few times and it sounded like I had a thermos full of gravel.😆

They cost about 20 bucks so I keep buying them.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

The stanley are unbreakable if I didnt break one in 2 years of construction. I always preheated with boiling water then added my liquid.

I have a Thermos brand one that I take out fishing, cost under $20 from memory.
    Does the trick. They sell them at Pak n Save and Countdown.

Get a stainless one glass just breaks.
    Burnsco had some on special a while ago.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Get a stainless one glass just breaks.
    Burnsco had some on special a while ago.
    Yea I know what you mean. Worst thing with burnsco is they charge ridiculous amounts for postage. And when you checkout online it doesn't say what freight will be!
    Stanley is stainless?
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Ejected
    I have used one of these for years.

Vacuum Insulated 10 oz Food Jar | ThermosŪ

Advantages
    It's small enough to fit in your bag unlike the big tall ones with separate cup.
    You just unscrew the lid and drink directly out of it.
    If you wrap black pvc tape around it it's almost invisible tucked beside your blind. Having it outside your blind stops mess when you knock it over.
    Stainless so it doesn't break.

I have two and take the second on particularly cold trips. I brought it from the warehouse, it wasn't the cheapest ($20) but unlike all the others I have brought it gets used instead of just sitting in the cupboard.

I've got an old Arcosteel Stainless thermos. Still good for a HOT cuppa after two days and really strong.

There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    Yea I know what you mean. Worst thing with burnsco is they charge ridiculous amounts for postage. And when you checkout online it doesn't say what freight will be!
    Stanley is stainless?
    Just got an email from Burnsco.
    FREE SHIPPING THIS WEEKEND.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Cheap stainless ones are hit and miss .
    some are great and others are cold after a short time.
    Buy a Stanley and preheat can't go wrong.

Nothing better than a hot cup of coffee at 3.00 am when every bit of underground gear has broken down and you are staring at a crew of smiling African miners who have just mucked up a job due to language barrier.
    As you sip the hot coffee thinking bugger I should have drawn a picture and I wish I had got back to check them about a hour earlier.
    After week 6 the small things like hot water really keeps you sane.
    gadgetman and R93 like this.
    Love walking my gun

Being a cheap bastard , I have quite a bit of experience with thermos , WHY , because I OBJECT to paying $5-7 for a cup of tea/coffee , its that simple , as to me its NOT worth it .

Was in one of the big AKL hospitals 10yrs ago , and was waiting on someone , decided to get a cup of tea at the cafe , I thought no problem , RIGHT , wanted black tea with sugar , simple yeah , NO , did not have std tea ( earl grey crap ) , and they wanted $5 for it , I said NOT in my world , they looked stunned , me I just walked away .

So back to themos , when I go 1 hr or more from home , 2 thermos get chucked in car , 1 cold & 1 hot , cold one is a 1.2 L wide mouth , so I can biff in a handful of ice and then either cheap cordial or powdered ice tea , hot one is preheated with water for 5-10mins , then hot water ONLY .
    By using hot water ONLY means it keeps hotter ( than milk added to tea/coffee etc ) , and means I can have , coffee/tea/choc what ever , have a small plastic basket , and it has tea/coffee/sugar , cups and spoons & biscuts .

All this means 2 things , I am free to stop anywhere/anytime and have a brew/break , and its a cheap / reasonable price .

The cold one can also use soft drinks like coke/pepsi etc as well , and its BLOODY cold when it comes out , sometimes thats NICE .

As to sort , the cheapest nastiest all SS ones from the wharehouse .
    gadgetman and Zamkiwi like this.

A man after my own heart ChrisF. Must have had mine 25-30 years now. 2nd day of a trip last year someone wanted hot water and made the mistake of putting his finger in the stream of water he was putting into the pot.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

My burnsco la playa brand all s/s keeps stuff hot good, dads had a thermos brand for probably 40?years still going strong.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.