Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Boot care and jacket treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Just to jump in here with a question (hope you don't mind Gibo) I have these.
    Attachment 75160
    Any ideas on a good waterproofing product. I used the silicon spray last time but it did not seem to last long.
    @Sideshow,

Wool socks will do, since water will get into the boots some way, if not through the front then down the top through that big hole you stick your foot through. Wool is your only hope against that. You can wring them out and put them on again and they'll still look after you.

In winter, if you have boots that are fully waterproof wear a double pair of wool socks, with a plastic bag in between them. Prevents sweat from making the outer sock wet and so it keeps its full insulating power. OK, the inner sock and the foot may get a bit wrinkly but that is better than a cold foot, and you can always buy some athlete's foot cream from the chemist.

With your boots, they don't look waterproof, so in winter, I'd wear an additional plastic bag over the outer sock. And that bag you tape to your ankle to stop water ingress when doing crossings.

I know, cheapskate, but someone come up with something better that will do the same.
    Last edited by Cordite; 18-09-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    Sideshow likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

@Cordite our anyone else tried these water proof socks?
    Like the idea by the way Cordite I'll try it out and see how I get on. Just given them a big double spray of silicon seal.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    @Cordite our anyone else tried these water proof socks?
    Like the idea by the way Cordite I'll try it out and see how I get on. Just given them a big double spray of silicon seal.
    @Sideshow

Read this, might save your life:

https://sectionhiker.com/vapor-barrier-socks/

I was poor as a kid, plastic bag inside trainers, yep does the trick. The extra sock outside the plastic bag would have been no good of course as trainers ain't waterproof.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch