Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Boots

Reading thru the various comments, we are being sold poorly made gear and paying heaps for it.
    Danny, bigbear and JasonW like this.

Have to Agee totally never had a problem with old style soles sewed to boots easy to get repaired by cobbler. Glues the problem or is it the way we use our gear?

A really nice guy on this Forum sold me a pair of Mendhi boots two years ago. I've worn them to work every day since then. The best boots I've ever owned and I wear boots most days...
    I've had the heels replaced once and they'll get some new soles this Easter, I'm also after some new ones. The wide fit models are hard to find!

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Nice mate quality glue, parent material and processes used by the looks.

Only would be worried if left at the front door or in direct sunlight for a period of years caused rubber-ised glues and soles (synthetic and natural) to go hard become brittle and fracture. Things have got better in the last few years with good manufacturers being conscious of using UV resistant materials. I have a pair of Innov8 that are about 7 years old that I mow the laws in and they have needed a couple of resole efforts due to this
    Some others - Good materials and processes - not so much... Caveat Emptor!
    Just had a second look at my Meindl's, and O yes, the sole is starting to separate.Have only worn 5-6 times since new due to my love affair with Bullers. Should I buy glue or better to get them done elsewhere.

Ok two options if you have a good bookmaker around use them they have the best gear and knowledge. A good bookmaker will remove the whole or significant section of sole and thoroughly prep the area so repair is as good as new.

Second option perform a running repair fixgo get some good flexible contact adhesive - I've used ados but there's even better ones now pop the boot in the hot water cupboard this gets any moisture out and humidity doing a number on you. Before you re-glue ensure the old glue is removed from the surface. I use a box cutter blade or scalpel scrape and open the the gape another 10 mills or so ( covers stuff still coming apart you can't see). Then I use a little rubbing alcohol to remove any chemical residue and then wet and dry sandpaper to rough up the rubber and leather to get a good mating surface.

Glue as directed and apply tape /weight to ensure it remains in place.

Easy as that.
    madjon_ and tetawa like this.

[QUOTE=Carpe Diem;582040]Ok two options if you have a good bookmaker around use them they have the best gear and knowledge. A good bookmaker will remove the whole or significant section of sole and thoroughly prep the area so repair is as good as new.

Second option perform a running repair fixgo get some good flexible contact adhesive
    Thank you

Bloody auto correct on iPads but you know what there might be a slight bit of truth in those statements...!!
    tetawa likes this.

Hunter Element boots are crap, big time. Sole leak and fall apart, these boots have done absolutely fuk all work.
    hotsoup likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Name:  IMG_0973.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  720.2 KB
    Like others I am having a rotten run with boots, on my third boot failure in three weeks, two pr were fairly old, and ratty, so only used for fishing and day hunts,
    Pretty pissed of about the Asolo boots, almost new, 2nd pr to delaminate the sole from the upper, had a pr fail last roar as well, normally have two or three pr in rotation, traveling casual, then as hunting boots, and when really torn and rough, fishing boots, for local close to home use.
    Have use Asolo boots for 25 years, another once quality product, now made in china, junk, !

Just bit the bullet and bought a pr of, Lowa, Tibet gtx. hope to hell they last. I swear to god if they don't,
    I buy bloody Bullers again, put up with the chafing, and crushed foot, I found a jar of hob nails and triconies, in the gear locker, so that will fix the traction problem on said Bullers.
    I am getting a bit fed up with over priced gear that doesn't last,
    JoshC, sometimes and Feral like this.

I usually take my Asics cross country trainers for the roar as of late the season has been quite mild and dry. Great for stealth in the bush.
    This year out of loyalty I thought I would take my old faithful Garmont boots and if it rained would wear them.
    The last day rained in the afternoon so on they went complete with a eyelet that had pulled out.
    The only fault I have had with these boots is some of the eyelets pulled over the years and would happily buy another pair. These ones were a subscription prize from NZ Outdoor magazine over 10 years ago.
    Packing up on Thursday morning and noticed the soles were coming off
    There will be a funeral service tomorrow morning with all donations going to a new pair

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  201.7 KB
    Shearer and JasonW like this.

Mate of mine is having his Meindls' replaced under warranty at the moment. Soles are coming off, their explanation is the same as given above.

Common theme regardless of brand. The soles came from my Meindel islands after about 7-8 years of seasonal use. Pretty much went hard and cracked up when put under a load. It appears the glues and vibram soles do have a finite life but it should be more than a couple of years, and a lot more than that if in a box unused tucked away for future use.

Apparently PU soles(Polyurethane) suffer from Hydrolysis if not used enough

The mid soles disintegrate and soles come off

NZ agents are currently discussing with German boot manufacturers what can be done about it.... but they certainly don't meet our NZ needs at the moment

I buy bloody Bullers again, put up with the chafing, and crushed foot, I found a jar of hob nails and triconies, in the gear locker, so that will fix the traction problem on said Bullers.
    I am getting a bit fed up with over priced gear that doesn't last,

I've found boonies much better than bullers and seem to last better too.

I mainly just hunt in these Salomon XR-Pros now. They are trail shoes. They do the job, are light and water proof (apart from the big hole where my foot goes in). And they last - and they cost only $230 or so. Your ankles soon strengthen up with low foot wear, in fact I reckon they have been good for mine.

I have flash boots but pretty much only wear them when Tahr hunting now.

Name:  IMG_0948 2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  1.03 MB