Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Cooking systems - gas vs hexamine stove/ open fire

Cooking systems - gas vs hexamine stove/ open fire

Hey guys, been finding my gas stove a bit of a pain in the arse of late, and thinking of switching to using a billy & open fire with mess tin & hexamine stove for quick feeds. Im thinking this is gonna be a lighter system for more extended trips, just wondering what other people are using to heat up there tucker.

Cheers,

Josh

Have moved to a gas pocket rocket from my Msr whisperlite, after i almost blew a hut up when a valve leaked running it on petrol....

What do you find a pain about the gas? I use a tiny cheap gas stove with the little gas cylinders, fits in a cup, quick and easy. Use a coleman peak2 multifuel (liquid fuel cooker) for fly in stuff as it kicks ass and is great at altitude, the only downfall with gas is it uses more fuel the higher you go, but I would imagine the same using hexamine blocks

I have had problems with stoves failing in the past i.e breaking in my pack despite being in protective container/ not working when there wet (im sure this has somthing to do with the fact that im particularly hard on gear). Just though hexamine & open fire would be a bit more bomb proof.

Lots of options previously discussed here:

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...ad.php?t=20747
    veitnamcam likes this.

@Ryan_Songhurst where did you find the small gas canisters? Saw @akaroa1 had some for his jet oil and been looking for them but only seem to find standard ones, bit too much for a quick overnighter

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
    I have had problems with stoves failing in the past i.e breaking in my pack despite being in protective container/ not working when there wet (im sure this has somthing to do with the fact that im particularly hard on gear). Just though hexamine & open fire would be a bit more bomb proof.
    Lighting an open fire in the wet/wind is challenging.
    Always take firelighting equip as a minimum survival gear,lighting a fire as your only means to cook is far less than ideal.
    My little kovea must be 30 years old and still works perfectly, fits in a small pot with canister.
    I am in more danger of loseing it than breaking it I think, even throw it up the bow of the boat to bounce around on fishing trips.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Hexies are bloody dirty things and iirc taint your food.

As soon as we were allowed to use a primus in the Army the only people you seen using hexies were newbies or tight ass stubborn pricks.😆

I always carry 2 small units in case one does crap out.
    I would only ever have a fire on a hunting trip in an emergency.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    southernredneck likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @Ryan_Songhurst where did you find the small gas canisters? Saw @akaroa1 had some for his jet oil and been looking for them but only seem to find standard ones, bit too much for a quick overnighter
    Usually buy them from bivouac (cheapest) or hunting stores

Relying on an open fire is a bit dodgy not only weather wise as Vc mentioned but in large areas of the country open fires are a no go... Think central Otago Canterbury middle of summer 2 years of Drought!
    veitnamcam likes this.

I carry hexi tablets and three 5 in nails stick em in the ground to form a tripod base and your away. Don't get smaller or lighter than that. There is no drop off in heat at altitude like gas. Only down side is there is a little spitting of burning "sparks" a couple of inches, and no way to turn a tab off once lit.

Have had all sorts of setups and have settled on this, 600ml stainless pot, fits two canisters and cooker perfectly, two canisters will last me a week.
    Name:  IMG_20160714_223251.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  985.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20160714_223343.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  976.0 KB
    7mmsaum, Tahr, veitnamcam and 4 others like this.

Could probably go lighter (maybe negligible gain?) with a titanium pot too but this one is like its made to hold the cannisters and cooker, perfect shape and size, and I actually think it heats water faster than titanium does

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Have had all sorts of setups and have settled on this, 600ml stainless pot, fits two canisters and cooker perfectly, two canisters will last me a week.
    Attachment 52220
    Attachment 52221
    Snap, same stove and same billy, never done the 2 x gas tho, always the 1x gas and the cut down cup
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooza View Post
    Snap, same stove and same billy, never done the 2 x gas tho, always the 1x gas and the cut down cup
    Snap same here. I put a silicone folding cup in now rather than a cut down green one. Its still heavy being stainless. So anythibg looking like an overnighter and ill switch to the msr reactor.

If your hadd on gear a jetboil (the brand) isbno good
    #BallisticFists