Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By planenutz

Thread: Does anyone have one of these A cat safes?

Does anyone have one of these A cat safes?

I'm after opinions of these safes. Been looking at them for a while and just want to know what there like.

Fireproof Storage Gun Rifle Locker Safe -36Rifle | Trade Me

Don't have one, but like the look of it. Plenty of spare room for organising thing, no bashing scopes getting them in and out

Yep, I have one of these and so does my good mate up north.

First of all, they're not a 36-gun safe. Not unless you have 36 old pieces of shit without scopes that you don't mind throwing on top of each other. On the other hand, they're not a bad safe at all if you want to nicely store up to about 12 guns in there. When my one turned up I bolted it down, gutted the inside and started again. I used the shelving system (which is perfectly fine) to create a rack of smaller shelves on the right, while creating two tall spaces on the left - one for shotguns and the other for rifles. I can fit up to 10 guns in there - I call it future-proofing as I don't have that many guns to store but it's nice to know that I could. If I'd had the need to store more guns I would could have changed the layout a bit and you could fit 12 guns easily, but once you start getting past that I think you'd struggle. Of course my idea of storage might be different to yours... but I prefer to have them in a side-by-side rack layout, not touching each other, able to be removed without knocking or scratching anything. I've thought about the option of putting another row on the door itself, but as I said I don't have the need for that yet... but you could probably get another 5 or 6 guns on a door-mounted rack.

The electronic keypad is easy enough to use. There's a key back-up. The door is nice and heavy giving the safe a great feel to it but the sidewalls are only about 1.2 or 1.3mm steel so it's only a CAT A safe. The walls are lined with a fireproof gib-board and the door has a fireproof seal around it. Oddly, the door seal doesn't seat itself like you would expect it to and at first I thought it was just a cheap Chinese seal. On further research I read that these seals puff up only when they get hot, sealing the door and preventing the contents from the flames. Clever stuff. The paint seems to be pretty good - I've not managed to scratch it yet. The felt on the inside is good enough for the job required of it - I was able to peel it off the original backing boards then re-glue it onto the MDF that I cut up to install inside.

Overall I'm very happy with the safe and it fits my needs perfectly. I had good service from the retailer (I bought mine off TM about a year ago now) and even getting it trucked from Auckland to the deep south wasn't a hassle. My mate up north arranged to collect his directly from the factory and told me it was hassle-free as well.

Hope that helps.
    Gibo, septic and TianBotha like this.

Thanks, that was exactly the kind of feedback I was after.

Quote Originally Posted by septic View Post
    Thanks, that was exactly the kind of feedback I was after.
    I'll wait until you've bought yours before I tell you how much I paid for mine...

@planenutz bought one of these but it hasnt arrived yet, so how much did ya pay for yours?

I bought mine via a TM auction in May last year for $650. Naturally there was freight to the South Island on top of that ($180) so a grand total of $830, delivered.

How does that compare with yours?
    Last edited by planenutz; 25-11-2016 at 08:36 AM.