Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: First Aid Kit

There's no legal liability in NZ if you fuck up first aid.
    DAF likes this.

Essentially yes but with less asterisks
    Frogfeatures likes this.

Some ideas. Standard first aid courses are completely inadequate for dealing with serious trauma in my experience.

EPIRB or Sat Phone (essential)
    CAT tourniquet (essential)
    Isarali bandage with CELEOX (essential)
    CELOX, great for neck wounds where pressure can't really be applied.
    Some kind of wound packing
    paracord and tape for splints and wound sealing.
    Possibly a nasel tube for keeping an airway.

and proper training for how and when to use the above because nothing is scarier than some asshole waving quikclot around
    Savage1 and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    and proper training for how and when to use the above because nothing is scarier than some asshole waving quikclot around
    Think you hit the nail on the head there man, Decent training is a far more valuable than a comprehensive FA kit with someone who has no idea how to use it. People are generally pretty usless without some form of training and even more so when put under stress.
    Was in a ferry crash (pretty minor but a few decent non life threatening injuries) not long ago and even the ferry staff were flapping about like mad seagulls.

I was astounded by the general publics ability to act consicevly in what was a relatively minor incident.

the main thing I took away from all the first aid courses I've done is that you don't need the fancy shit necessarily, the key is to understand some basic principles and not be scared to apply them. Hole in someone leaking? Block it and apply pressure. Etc. Use a fuckin tshirt. You don't need a first aid kit with 300 exact sizes of crepe bandage that never get used.
    veitnamcam, Savage1 and Shooter like this.

Yeah I've done two different courses that were meant to cover the same stuff. One was NZQA registered and was OK so I thought. Then I did one that had nothing to do with NZQA and was hands on scenario based in full kit with blood squirting everywhere and using real kit. The two courses were incomparable and I actually have confidence in my abilities now. Practicing putting on tourniquets on compliment clean people or yourself if pointless, we'll just not nearly as effective.

sounds really good.... what ballpark $ will we be looking at?
    Ping-Ping and Pew-Pew.
    Mathews Monster 28" @ 60#. X-Bolt .308

Your course idea I'd imagine Tussock would be bloody useful. If I'm able to attend that would be another matter. Good luck with it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I believe in NZ if you f**k someone trying to un-f**k them, then the legal interpretation is that they were f**ked anyway.

I chose the same style of language Gimp used to make it clear neither of us are lawyers, and these statements should not be relied upon.
    Or you can use a rock to the head for anaesthetic!

I got one of those overly extensive ones when I bought my PLB. Some special bundle deal - worth checking out if you need a PLB also. I threw about half of it away - cheap shit like torch, mirror that took up heaps of room and was just junk made for 10 cents. It did have a lot of useful stuff in it like bandages, painkillers, etc. I used the extra space to put a bunch more painkillers. Probably should add a small roll of sturdy tape and throw away some of the many many bandaids.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    The first aid trainer said "give me two days to put something awesome together for you" four days ago. We may have drifted onto African time here.
    That sounds similar to Argentine time, were everything is tomorrow..for months on end....
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

watching with interest. I always do refresher courses as part of my trade but they usually turn into a joke half way through as generally people don't want to be there. Typically they focus around CPR and only give bleeds/burn etc a cursory mention even though they are far more likely to happen.

Myk
    I too have the quick clot bandage, tourniquet and pressure bandages. Also in my kit is various things like other bandages, tape, plasters, No doze and pain killers. safety pins but no knife. I use my leatherman for that.
    Remember at the end of the day........it's night time

Myk
    SOG is real nice. I'm looking at refining my kit so any suggestions would be '"O" for awesome
    Remember at the end of the day........it's night time